Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watching a Galaxy Implode: Day Ten / The End

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By troidy
    LUXURY YACHT CRAWL PARTY
    LUXURY YACHT CRAWL PARTY

There’s not much I can actually write about content wise for my final blog about my experiences in Star Wars Galaxies, since most of you saw it all on the live stream, and if you didn’t, you can see it when the archive goes up. I will say, however, that as much as I have enjoyed pointing out the terrible flaws in this game throughout this series of blogs, I think hiding beneath deeply flawed gameplay, there is something that modern MMOs could certainly learn from. By giving players so much freedom to choose to do whatever they want to do, the game creates a deep sense of community that is extremely hard to replicate elsewhere.

ERP. If you have to look that up... don't.

While Star Wars Galaxies was broken as hell, and certainly not something I would pay a monthly fee to play, there is something to be said for a MMO that offers you that sense of complete freedom. Of course more often than not, this total freedom results in new players being completely lost, and a core player base hostile to the new players who “just don’t get it”. EvE Online is a modern game that you can easily compare to SWG, and I absolutely love EvE. The difference between this game and EvE, of course, is that the core systems of EvE aren’t completely broken.

The end.
    The end.

Thanks for reading, and coming along on this ride with me. I hope you enjoyed it, because I know I at least enjoyed writing about it. If you're stumbling across this blog post separate of the others, I encourage you to go back and read the others, and experience my dark descent into the madness that was this game.

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By troidy
    LUXURY YACHT CRAWL PARTY
    LUXURY YACHT CRAWL PARTY

There’s not much I can actually write about content wise for my final blog about my experiences in Star Wars Galaxies, since most of you saw it all on the live stream, and if you didn’t, you can see it when the archive goes up. I will say, however, that as much as I have enjoyed pointing out the terrible flaws in this game throughout this series of blogs, I think hiding beneath deeply flawed gameplay, there is something that modern MMOs could certainly learn from. By giving players so much freedom to choose to do whatever they want to do, the game creates a deep sense of community that is extremely hard to replicate elsewhere.

While Star Wars Galaxies was broken as hell, and certainly not something I would pay a monthly fee to play, there is something to be said for a MMO that offers you that sense of complete freedom. Of course more often than not, this total freedom results in new players being completely lost, and a core player base hostile to the new players who “just don’t get it”. EvE Online is a modern game that you can easily compare to SWG, and I absolutely love EvE. The difference between this game and EvE, of course, is that the core systems of EvE aren’t completely broken.

The end.
    The end.

Thanks for reading, and coming along on this ride with me. I hope you enjoyed it, because I know I at least enjoyed writing about it. If you're stumbling across this blog post separate of the others, I encourage you to go back and read the others, and experience my dark descent into the madness that was this game.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I wonder who that Giant Jabba could be. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

That was nasty in so many good ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.