Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

4 -1 and still placed in Bronze

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Feanor

Second time this has happed to me, first my 2v2, and now my 4v4, this system seems a little broken.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Thule

It's not broken. You probably only won against other Bronze opponents and lost against a Silver/Gold level opponent. Also if you're really better than the other people in your league, you can expect to advance to a higher one pretty soon.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

I do admit, the system is a little messy. Getting matches against platinum when me and my friend are bronze for our 2v2? Yeah... 
    Gotta say, they weren't particularly good plats.
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Psynapse

Thule is right, its dependant on who you play against in the placements. If you are a bronze player in other leagues they will put you against bronze players, so if you go really well, they might put you in silver or gold.. If you are Plat or Diamond in other leagues, you will be put against the same level players. 

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Feanor
    @Psynapse: We lost to a Plat, and won against 4 bronze, the system didn't really let us prove ourselves. 
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

Its just placement matches. Anybody that has taken any statistics class would tell you its nearly impossible to get any idea what a good average is based on 5 data points.  

Again its just placement matches, its not like the game deems you a Bronze player and you are stuck there forever. Perhaps less ranting on message boards and more playing matches in SC2 would get you out of bronze league. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Malakhii

Just keep playing, win and you'll get pushed up pretty quick, lose and you won't. Placement is just a starting point. 

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By raiz265

a little FAQ on all the ladder-stuff: 

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=150367  

Since the release of SC2 I've noticed a lot of recurring -- in fact, frequently asked -- questions regarding the ladder system. This thread is intended to address those questions. Please use this thread in conjunction with the Ladder Analysis threads in order to better understand the ladder.

SC2 Ladder Analysis Part 1: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=118212
    SC2 Ladder Analysis Part 2: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=142211

League Information

Q: What do the different symbols, like the exclamation point, red arrow, and green arrow mean when viewing a division?
    A: An exclamation point means that the player has been placed in that division but not played any games last week. A green arrow means that the player has increased in rank within the division since last week. A red arrow means the player has fallen in rank within the division since last week. A dash (--) means no change in rank since last week despite games played. You can hover over each icon in-game to view the player's previous rank or division join date from the in-game ladder browser.

Q: Will the ladder be divided into seasons?
    A: Yes, eventually. The length of a season has not been announced by Blizzard, but all ratings are expected to be wiped at that time.

Matchmaking

Q: I'm only in Silver, so why am I being matched against Platinum players?
    A: Two possible answers: either your MMR is too high for your current league, or your opponents' MMRs are too low for their current league. Look at your match history. Are you commonly being matched against players from higher leagues? If so, you have an opportunity for promotion. Look at your opponents' match histories. Are they commonly being matched against players from lower leagues? If so, they are at risk of demotion.

Q: If I've never played 1v1, but I'm 2v2 Diamond, who will I face in 1v1 Placements?
    A: Your performance in other brackets is considered when initially seeding your placement matches. In this case, you'd likely be paired with a Diamond player to start.

Q: What does Favored/Slightly Favored/Teams Even mean on the loading screen?
    A: Favored status compares your opponent's hidden MMR with your displayed rating. If his MMR and your displayed rating are similar, it will show Teams Even and the match will be worth 10-14 points. If his MMR is slightly higher than your displayed rating, it will show your opponent as Slightly Favored and the match will be worth 15-17 points for a win (7-9 for a loss). If his MMR is significantly higher than your displayed rating, it will show your opponent as Favored and the match will be worth 18-24 points (1-6 for a loss).

Q: Is it possible for both players to see the other as Favored?
    A: Yes, because it compares the opponent's MMR to the player's displayed rating. This is common when both players haven't played many games, meaning their MMR is higher than their displayed rating.

Q: I'm in Bronze with 0 rating and a poor win ratio. I'm only getting 2 or 4 or 6 points -- including bonus pool -- for a win, but losing 22 points for a loss! Why is this happening, and how will I possibly get above 0 rating as long as this is happening to me?
    A: This one was tough to figure out because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface. Point gains and losses that are that extreme can only mean that you're Favored in every single match, but how is that possible if you're already in Bronze with 0 rating? The answer is that your MMR can go below Bronze 0. Because your rating -- which is zero -- is higher than your MMR which is somewhere far below zero, you will constantly be Favored. Because of the way MMR gains work, however, as long as you maintain a positive win ratio, you will eventually find matches where you are Slightly Favored and ultimately Teams Even and beyond. At that point, you will start to gain more points than you lose.
    Speculation: This may be a remnant from Beta, either from when Copper league was removed or when players started at 0 rating when they used to start at 1000 rating. It could be that Bronze 0 is equal to Beta's 1000 rating (and therefore Bronze 0 = 1000 MMR).

Promotion and Demotion

Q: Do I need to be first in my division to get promoted, or last in my division to get demoted?
    A: No! Your rank is a result of your displayed rating and is not relevant to any promotion chances or demotion risks.

Q: Do I need to reach a particular point value to get promoted?
    A: No. Promotions happen independently of your displayed rating.

Q: I've been at rank 1 in my division forever, why haven't I been promoted?
    A: Take a look at your match history. If you're commonly facing opponents from your league, then you're right where you should be. If you're commonly facing opponents from higher leagues, you may be promoted once your MMR increases or your sigma decreases.

Q: I won 10 games in a row! Why am I not promoted yet?
    A: Your MMR and sigma may not have reached stability, or the system is simply unconfident about you. Expected outcomes cause you to stabilize the fastest. Your MMR will continue to rise until you hit your skill ceiling, at which point your win ratio will decrease and your rating will start to stabilize.

Q: Do I need to lose 7 games before being promoted?
    A: No. There is not much point to gaming the system. Play as you would normally and if you belong in Diamond you will be promoted within a very reasonable number of games. People are regularly promoted with < 7 losses. People like CauthonLuck are significant outliers and you will almost certainly not have his problem.

Q: I'm in Bronze. Is it possible to get promoted directly to Gold?
    A: Yes. It's possible to go from any league to any other league, wherever your MMR and sigma stabilize. Viewing your match history and the profiles of your opponents should clue you in to where you're likely to be promoted next.

Q: I just lost a game but I got promoted, how is this possible?
    A: The system evaluates a trend of games, not just the most recent game. The answer is always the same: your MMR and sigma have stabilized within the boundaries of a higher league, and that loss contributed to your stability because it was an expected outcome.

Q: Is it possible I haven't been promoted because my APM or end-game score isn't high enough?
    A: Both factors are irrelevant because they can be gamed. The only contributing factor to promotion is the end outcome (win or loss) and the skill level of your opponent (his MMR). This is confirmed by Blizzard's Leagues and Ladders FAQ, found in a sticky at the top of the Multiplayer and eSports forum.

Bonus Pool

Q: How do I increase my bonus pool? Do I have to not play?
    A: Your bonus pool increases at the same rate regardless of whether or not you're playing. The rate of gain is about 1 point per 2 hours.

Q: If I start a new team, won't my bonus pool be smaller than teams that have been active for a month?
    A: The bonus pool total is the same for everyone. If a team was created last month and has accumulated 600 bonus pool, your new team will start with 600 bonus pool. The total bonus pool accumulates from launch day, meaning regardless of your account creation date, division join date, or whatever, it will be equal to everyone else's total.

Q: Is the bonus pool considered in any calculations? How can that be accurate if it constantly inflates ratings?
    A: Because everyone has access to the same total amount of bonus pool, it's unlikely that it is included in any matchmaking calculations.    

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By wunder_

Yup, try to get out of the mindset that you're playing to win, but instead you're playing to learn. Instead of following X build orders for X match up or even doing cheesy builds to get X wins, just try and go with the flow of the game and work on your mechanics, even if you lose, you'd probably benefit a lot more!

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Give it time. It'll start matching you up against players from higher leagues and once you beat a few of them you'll move up pretty quick.

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mediant
    @Malakhii said:
    " Just keep playing, win and you'll get pushed up pretty quick, lose and you won't. Placement is just a starting point.  "
    This.
    Makula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Makula

look at the bright side, you can get more victories in the bronze league. 
    Which means more experience, easier to unlock achievements and probably a good way to keep yourself coming back to SCII and play with your friends to rank up.

loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By loldetaerleo

Team placement has been sort of broken for a while, pretty sure they have released a statement about patching it.

Half of the time it doesn't work as intended e.g. you play a Bronze player first and it gives you a higher ranking to compete with after each win.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Feanor

Yeah, I now realize that the problem was that 2 of our 4 v 4 members are really really low level bronze, kind of screwed us on the matchmaking for the placement matches.  

And since I am playing against nothing but Gold leaguers while I am in Bronze, should I expect to advance soon? It is rather frustrating to keep on beating people in higher leagues.

loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By loldetaerleo
    @Feanor said:
    " Yeah, I now realize that the problem was that 2 of our 4 v 4 members are really really low level bronze, kind of screwed us on the matchmaking for the placement matches.    And since I am playing against nothing but Gold leaguers while I am in Bronze, should I expect to advance soon? It is rather frustrating to keep on beating people in higher leagues. "
    Expect to get promoted soon. 

@FalseDeity said:
    "I'm not an expert on how StarCraft matchmaking works—could very well have problems—but if you're good, enjoy being in lower leagues while it lasts so you can pad your win/loss ratio.  "
     Bad way to look at it.
    Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Overwatch

Well personaly, I won those 5 placement matches and I got placed in the Platinum league, which is totaly wrong. Now I am only loosing and not having much fun. Won those placement matches by pure luck and now I'm suffering in Platinum :/. I would place myself somewhere in the middle of Silver perhaps, but definetly not Platinum. I wish I could demote myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.