Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

FPS drops to 4-10 after missions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I start up Starcraft 2 fine and get around 30-50fps but when the mission is over and a cinematic starts my fps drops to around 4-10 and stays like this until I exit out of the game and start it again, anyone else having this problem?

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dipstick

I don't have that specific problem,although when a mission starts I drop to about 10 and stutter for a good 5-7 seconds before it jumps up to 100fps 

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By goodwood

when missions load mine jumps up in the hundreds will fast then will drop low again. 

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Teran

Set your graphical settings to low... if they are already set to low, go find the video options and make sure the option to view cutscenes in at high quality is also set to low.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli
    @Dipstick said:
    " I don't have that specific problem,although when a mission starts I drop to about 10 and stutter for a good 5-7 seconds before it jumps up to 100fps  "
    Pretty much suffer from the same thing. The first couple of seconds of any mission are kinda horrid. I feel like I should have stayed in the loading screen some more. Otherwise it's super smooth. Maxed out with countless units on screen.

Every now and then, there's a hiccup. But I guess that comes with the territory.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dipstick
    @Seppli: Yep,it's weird. I fell like SC2 is caching a million things as it starts,only happens in single-player as well (Thank God,that would be game breaking in multi-player) :D
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

There has been words of the game bringing systems to crashes since they overheat the graphics card.

@Blizzardsaid:

Certain screens make your hardware work pretty hard

Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines:

frameratecapglue=30

frameratecap=60

You may replace these numbers if you want to.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356

Try and have a look at that and see if it's any way related.
    Kiwee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kiwee
    @Bucketdeth: 
    I have the very same problem - normal FPS dropping to almost zero after  a mission is finished. Restarting SC2 "solves" the problem and everything works fine just until another mission is completed. Has anyone found a solution yet? Nothing mentioned in this thread works.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RsistncE

I also get the same issue, even though the game recommends I set everything to ultra. If I drop the shaders to high instead of ultra, then all cutscenes are super smooth. The game also accesses my hard drive like crazy causing the shittiest, stutteriest lag at the beginning of every game. Hell sometimes it happens right in the middle of a game and completely screws me up. I find it quite funny that a game that is visually pretty mediocre, can put so much strain on my system.

EggPuppet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By EggPuppet

Check your temperatures

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CharlieTuna

I think the game has issues with memory leaks in campaign , everyone I know has the same problems. The more you play usually the worse it gets.

Kiwee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kiwee
    @EggPuppet: 
    I've got Radeon 5670 and thats's why I've got everything set to quite low settings.  I checked the temeperature just to be sure and 47C does not seem to be too high. :-) Even in the famous "menus" running on unlimited FPS. ;-( Any other ideas?
    Kiwee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kiwee
    @CharlieTuna: 
    If it were leaks it would probably slow down continuously during the longer period. But it drops down  from 40 to 1 FPS  almost instantly after just one mission is completed.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Dipstick said:
    " I don't have that specific problem,although when a mission starts I drop to about 10 and stutter for a good 5-7 seconds before it jumps up to 100fps  "
    Same here.
    krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By krisgebis

Don't seem to have this problem, even with my old school 9800gt
    Hope they fix it, for those who experience problems

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CharlieTuna
    @Kiwee said:
    " @CharlieTuna:  If it were leaks it would probably slow down continuously during the longer period. But it drops down  from 40 to 1 FPS  almost instantly after just one mission is completed. "
    That is strange, I don't get that myself but it sure does keep slowing down over time. It's really a very poorly optimized game either way, I'm surprised, coming from blizzard and all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.