Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Low Level StarCraft II Tournaments

vic_ramen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vic_ramen

Im want to try and get a low level tourney started, pretty much like the tourney we have now (and this isnt meant to take any players away from that) but for bronze and silver players. The reason i want to do this is just a place where not everyone will feel intimidated to join. Somewhere where the focus is to get better not necessarily to win. i would want to have these more freqquently. but i wanna know what the community thinks, lemme know guys!

-VicRamen
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tunaburn

if you want a low level tourney i say its for bronze silver and gold. im barely into gold league but am told thats still low level and i cant really talk until i at least get to platinum.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Kyreo
    @tunaburn said:

" if you want a low level tourney i say its for bronze silver and gold. im barely into gold league but am told thats still low level and i cant really talk until i at least get to platinum. "

Yeah... I consider Gold to be minimally competent.  I mean, I'm bronze but from the golds I play, they aren't much better than I am.  :/

Also, I would love to participate in a tournament.  Kyreo.639
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tunaburn
    @Kyreo said:
    " @tunaburn said:

" if you want a low level tourney i say its for bronze silver and gold. im barely into gold league but am told thats still low level and i cant really talk until i at least get to platinum. "

Yeah... I consider Gold to be minimally competent.  I mean, I'm bronze but from the golds I play, they aren't much better than I am.  :/

Also, I would love to participate in a tournament.  Kyreo.639
    "
    then its settled. gold is in. and that means im in too.  tunaburn 235
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

I've been wanting to do the community tournament, but I'm just intimidated when there's Master's players in there.

I'm Gold on NA.  DexterMorgan #338.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By thatfrood

I dunno man, our GB tournaments are pretty low-barrier to entry and not very intimidating already! I don't know how well the gb community could bare another tourney on top of our already usual monthly one, not to mention one that is more regular. A sort of organized game night is feasible, though. Maybe once per week. I don't know who would organize it, I haven't been in contact with the usual GB starcraft stuff organizing crowd for awhile. I know they're all really busy now with exams and preparations for summer, though. Once things clear up on their schedule I imagine there will be more involvement by them in organizing gb starcraft community events!

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By WickedCestus

I think this is a good idea, and I would participate in both. I'm still Bronze right now, so it would be good to have one where I actually have a chance. Mikus #558 on NA server.

hellknight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hellknight6

I had to play plat and diamond players at yesterdays tournement would love for a lower level one.
    Slushies # 790 - Silver league

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By NickL
    for all you bronze and silver players out there looking to get better, I would recomment z33k.com if you don't know about it.
    They offer tournaments of all levels.  Even some very kind people in the community put on low level cash tournaments (this is not very often though)
    I have been playing in their weekly tournaments for a while and I would say it definitely has been what improved my skills.
    Also a great way to connect with other players of your skill caliber and improve together through practice
    (for reference i'm in platinum now and was bronze when i started entering their tournaments.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By csl316
    @ThatFrood said:
    " I dunno man, our GB tournaments are pretty low-barrier to entry and not very intimidating already! I don't know how well the gb community could bare another tourney on top of our already usual monthly one, not to mention one that is more regular. A sort of organized game night is feasible, though. Maybe once per week. I don't know who would organize it, I haven't been in contact with the usual GB starcraft stuff organizing crowd for awhile. I know they're all really busy now with exams and preparations for summer, though. Once things clear up on their schedule I imagine there will be more involvement by them in organizing gb starcraft community events! "
    In the stream over the weekend someone told me he got in 7th as a gold player, which was quite inspiring.  There's still this psychological barrier to entry for me, but I guess you never know til you try.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WickedCestus
    @csl316 said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " I dunno man, our GB tournaments are pretty low-barrier to entry and not very intimidating already! I don't know how well the gb community could bare another tourney on top of our already usual monthly one, not to mention one that is more regular. A sort of organized game night is feasible, though. Maybe once per week. I don't know who would organize it, I haven't been in contact with the usual GB starcraft stuff organizing crowd for awhile. I know they're all really busy now with exams and preparations for summer, though. Once things clear up on their schedule I imagine there will be more involvement by them in organizing gb starcraft community events! "
    In the stream over the weekend someone told me he got in 7th as a gold player, which was quite inspiring.  There's still this psychological barrier to entry for me, but I guess you never know til you try. "
    I'm Bronze and entered in the last one. Yeah, I lost 2 games in a row and then was out, but it was still fun, and there's nothing to lose by playing. Just try it, you might end up winning a few, or finding some new practice buddies :P
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By raiz265
    @csl316 said:
    " I've been wanting to do the community tournament, but I'm just intimidated when there's Master's players in there.I'm Gold on NA.  DexterMorgan #338. "
    Just go for it, we had gold players go pretty far in the tournaments sometimes!

@topic: if you can get enough players it might be worth a try, but i'm going to be sad and mad (AT YOU!!) if the normal tournaments die because of that :P :P
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By csl316
    @raiz265:  No man, the normal tournaments CAN'T die.  I've been in forums for a decade and I'm impressed at how well the organizers keep everything going.  And we've even had Norman Chan and Brad take an interest, which is amazing.  If the current organizers can no longer continue, hopefully someone else can carry the torch.

I remember when I was at Gamefaqs way back in the day, and a tournament would never get off the ground.  Starcraft, then Warcraft 3, then Frozen Throne.  It was always a neat idea, but never ever happened properly (at least, when I was there).  That's what makes this forum so damn awesome.  And the fact that stream sites exist makes it even cooler.
    KyleBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KyleBaron
    I think a good way to do a bronze to gold level tourny would be two brackets. One would be bronze to silver, the next would be golds. At the end of the tourny, you'd have the best of the bronze/silvers likely facing a gold or somethin.'

Basically, I'm just hoping to avoid the situation that happened during the last tournament:
    -A diamond and silver player faced each other
    -I had to face the winner (hint, it was the diamond player)
    -I was knocked down into the loser's bracket where a diamond player had to face the winner of a match between me (a silver) and a gracious bronze fellow.

@Vic_Ramen: I guess you noticed my post in the main tourny thread, eh? lol. I remember seeing you at the tourny. Good times, don't get me wrong, I definitely had batman.

vic_ramen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vic_ramen

alright so theres some misunderstandings going on haha

First off it is not the intention of this to take anyone or anything from the normal monthly tourney
    second, i am in contacts with the guys who organize the monthly tourney so i would get in touch with them before anything, also if you guys didntnotice i was the one who casted the last tourney with Thule haha.
    Third, Im iffy on the Golds, the skill disparity can be quite large, But im sure id have to allow (that sounds pretentious) it because of the probable lack of people.

And lastly (i think) this is just a topic to gauge interest, most likely nothing will get on its feet until the summer time. As mentioned above its finals/graduation season so a lot of people wouldnt be able to participate anyway.

Oh! And please guys, even if you are low level, Join the main tourney! Its so much fun and everyone there is very nice :). I mean thats where i met my fellow caster thule (who btw organizes the EU tourney). But yea guys, dont let the higher level players scare you :).
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By l4wd0g

So, I'm not very good at all. In fact I never finished my 50 practice matches, but I'd like to play. I've been living vicariously through GSL for far too long. It's time to try and play. I hope.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Enigma777

I'm king of the bronze league (0 wins so far) so I'm down.

vic_ramen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vic_ramen
    @l4wd0g said:
    " So, I'm not very good at all. In fact I never finished my 50 practice matches, but I'd like to play. I've been living vicariously through GSL for far too long. It's time to try and play. I hope. "
    You wouldnt be the only one duder haha, Its actually insane how many people just watch starcraft and have never actually played it consistently if at all.
    And again, The purpose of this isnt to boost egos or say who is the best silver player or whatever, its just to get better, or just to have fun, I just had the idea to have special rules, Day9 style, idk, like i said, work in progress haha. 

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By csl316
    @l4wd0g said:
    " So, I'm not very good at all. In fact I never finished my 50 practice matches, but I'd like to play. I've been living vicariously through GSL for far too long. It's time to try and play. I hope. "
    I played like 300 games, then discovered the GSL at the beginning of the year.

I've maybe played 20 games since then, lol.  Yet surprisingly, I've been doing better.  Guess all those hours and hours and hours watching weren't wasted, after all.
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grimluck343

I had to miss the last community tournament but I would be interested in this too.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By l4wd0g
    @Vic_Ramen said:

" @l4wd0g said:

You wouldnt be the only one duder haha, Its actually insane how many people just watch starcraft and have never actually played it consistently if at all.
    And again, The purpose of this isnt to boost egos or say who is the best silver player or whatever, its just to get better, or just to have fun, I just had the idea to have special rules, Day9 style, idk, like i said, work in progress haha. 

"
    I'm totally for playing with the GB community.

I kind of think of StarCraft 2 as electronic football, I can play and have fun, but I'll never be Donovan McNabb, or in this case IMMvp
    mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrv321

Bronze is hard, people are so unpredictable. They refuse to expan till their main is dry. I once got a base up at 8 minute, he had none at 20... yet I'm in the same league.

ageofquarrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ageofquarrel

I beat a platinum league player while I was in bronze league(now in Silver). In the very first match of my first GB tournament. So my advice is just try and don't be intimidated plus the more lower league players the better chance you will play some one at your level.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By baldgye
    @tunaburn said:
    FYI Plat isn't much diff to gold, my US account is in plat and its not really much diffrent from gold.
    Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
    @mrv321 said:
    Bronze is hard, people are so unpredictable. They refuse to expan till their main is dry. I once got a base up at 8 minute, he had none at 20... yet I'm in the same league.
    i lost way more games in bronze than in gold because people didn't make any sense. they just did the cheesiest and weirdest stuff. 

mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrv321
    @lilburtonboy7489:  Yeah, some stupid stuff I've seen

Guy who cannon rushes me, which is usually pretty good, I scout it and instead of building a gateway, I just collect a ton of minerals and set up an expansion the other side of the map, rush carrier, he has only ever cannon rushed and most of the maps was covered in his cannon. I get to 200/200 and destroy him. Even despite attack his army and cannons at the same time I vortex his army, destroy his cannon and boom... his army.

What have you seen?

6 pool into NO aggression. 15 pool on steps of war.
    Avatar image for stepwiseduchess
    StepwiseDuchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By StepwiseDuchess

I also missed the last tournament. I am extremely interested in this as I'm a complete newbie!!!!

tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tyashki

If this tournament isn't at 5am my time like the other ones, I'm definitely interested. XD

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hennet_sim

This seems like it would be fun currently I am unranked but  I am sure I am worses than  bronze.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By baldgye

I'm gold on EU but plat on NA... does that count?

Toodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Toodles

Even platinum is overrated- I'm matched up with them fairly regularly even though I'm silver.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By baldgye
    @Toodles said:
    Even platinum is overrated- I'm matched up with them fairly regularly even though I'm silver.
    yeah when I was in silver last season I'd be solidly beating plat's then when season 2 started i got bumped to gold and havn't yet played a single guy from gold :/
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Creigz

I would be interested in it. I am high silver...and can't dodge it. But yeah, up to gold your mechanical understanding of the game is still pretty entry level. When you hit plat all the players change and you see a large difference in everything.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By baldgye
    @Creigz said:
    I would be interested in it. I am high silver...and can't dodge it. But yeah, up to gold your mechanical understanding of the game is still pretty entry level. When you hit plat all the players change and you see a large difference in everything.
    nahhh not really... there is very little difference between plat and gold leagues
    Toodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Toodles
    @baldgye: So are you Gold on EU because of a higher skill pool, or just less devoted time?

Btw, you have no idea surprised I was to see a protoss wall up with cannons in his main, which has long signaled in my brain "yay! instant win!" and discover he was platinum. I hope he was just bored >.>
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By raiz265
    @Toodles said:
    @baldgye: So are you Gold on EU because of a higher skill pool, or just less devoted time? Btw, you have no idea surprised I was to see a protoss wall up with cannons in his main, which has long signaled in my brain "yay! instant win!" and discover he was platinum. I hope he was just bored >.>
    I've seen shit like this in diamond :D
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Creigz
    @baldgye said:
    @Creigz said:
    nahhh not really... there is very little difference between plat and gold leagues
    I guess the change in skill is pretty gradual so you don't notice. The different of platinum and silver is a lot larger.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By baldgye
    @Toodles said:
    @baldgye: So are you Gold on EU because of a higher skill pool, or just less devoted time? Btw, you have no idea surprised I was to see a protoss wall up with cannons in his main, which has long signaled in my brain "yay! instant win!" and discover he was platinum. I hope he was just bored >.>
    Honestly I think its becasue I'm probally at plat lvl its just that I started my EU acc in bronze and havn't worked my way up to plat yet, but with my US acc I started in gold coz i got it after I got my EU acc...
    ...though I only really play with my mates who are all dia... granted I mostly loose lol... but yeah I'ma work on getting my EU account out of gold when I have some time this month..

...though I do think the EU servers are harder than the US ones (in general), though I'm not really at the level where it matters too much ^^
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WickedCestus
    @Toodles said:
    I beat a couple Platinum players yesterday and I'm Bronze. Then again, they must've been pretty terrible Platinum players to be matched up with a Bronze like me.
    NEuRoSiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NEuRoSiS

Sounds fun. As a mediocre Silver Zerg, I'm interested.

Toodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Toodles

Hey, do we wanna let this sit or actually start something? How bout Sunday at 7pm CST we meet at the Giant Bomb channel in SC2? 

Good day, bad day, eh, eh?

hydrarulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hydrarulz

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.