Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Matchmaking is crap

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Feanor

So has anyone else noticed how messed up the matchmaking for Starcraft is? In all the games I have played I have never been favored or evenly matched. I'm not even that bad, I win most of my games. Earlier this week me and my 2v2 partner played against a 1st place 2v2 platinum team when we were still in bronze league. We managed to win and get a buttload of points, and get bumped into silver, but still every game we seem to play is against gold leaguers and up. What is the point of leagues when the majority of the time you are playing people outside of your own? 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kishan6

well... 
    doesnt happen to me 
    however i dont really play 2v2 that much 
    maybe because the majority of people are doing 1v1 and custom games then they need to search for as even as they can get idk 
    i think its pretty effective

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Clinkz

Yes it is shit I get matched up with top tier platinum or diamond players in their division all the time.

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By itsmadness

If you win most of your games, you are probably always gonna fight people who are ranked higher than you. Chances are you haven't lost enough yet to start fighting against people in a lower league than you. 

I'd say, if your win/loss ratio is 50 50, then the system works. Right now I have 25 wins 25 losses. It's working for me...

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Feanor
    @kishan6: I have a friend who is in bronze league 1v1, and he has the same problem I do. Maybe it something that only effects bronze league?
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

I'm in bronze and it works perfectly for me.  I only play people in bronze and silver and my win loss is barely positive so I think it works great.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Semition

Leagues don't matter. They're a very poor indication of your skill just because of how they're set up.

Blizzard has a ton of data that it uses that it doesn't show you. As long as you have around 50/50 win ratio, the matchmaking system is working.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By ethan_raiden

It's working perfectly, if you're winning a lot of your games it matches you up with higher level players so that it can determine if you need to be moved up a leauge or not. I don't know why but people tend to think that the matchmaking will keep them in a position where they'll be comfortably winning for ever, when in fact the matchmaking will do it's very best to make every game be a challenge, but not have you be steamrolled. Get used to hard games if you're winning a lot.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Feanor
    @Semition: But Its obviously not. I look at my match history and I play more Platinum and gold players than I do Silver and Bronze. If Blizzards data says I should play those people, then it should put me in that league.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sixghost
    @Feanor said:
    " @kishan6: I have a friend who is in bronze league 1v1, and he has the same problem I do. Maybe it something that only effects bronze league? "
    There probably are much fewer bronze league players using matchmaking at any given time than any of the other 4 divisions.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feanor
    @sixghost: So maybe it should search for a little longer. I find games in less than 10 seconds, the system seems more worried about getting you a game quickly than having it be fair.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sixghost
    @Feanor said:
    " @sixghost: So maybe it should search for a little longer. I find games in less than 10 seconds, the system seems more worried about getting you a game quickly than having it be fair. "
    There's nothing wrong with playing people better than you.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kishan6
    @Feanor: well wen i was in bronze league i would get matched up with silver people every once in a while 
    but seriously a one league difference isnt that massive
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Semition
    @Feanor said:

" @Semition: But Its obviously not. I look at my match history and I play more Platinum and gold players than I do Silver and Bronze. If Blizzards data says I should play those people, then it should put me in that league. "

Why does it matter what league your in? If your skill level is platinum level and your playing platinum level players, then that's fine.

As long as your win/loss is ~50/50, the matchmaking system is doing its job at finding players at the same level as you for you to play against.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Feanor
    @kishan6: Well if you'd read my original post the jump was from bronze to platinum, and on several different occasions. 

@Semition: Because most of the time I don't stand a chance against these people. I look at their profile and they have 5 times the amount of games played and games won.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai

Thats by design.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NoXious
    @Feanor:
    They are trying to find out if you're better than your current placement. I keep getting set up against Diamond because I win against one every now and then methinks.
    You're in the same boat. You win against folk higher placed than you so have to prove your metal. That way you get promoted to a higher league faster.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishan6
    @Feanor said:
    " @kishan6: Well if you'd read my original post the jump was from bronze to platinum, and on several different occasions. 

@Semition: Because most of the time I don't stand a chance against these people. I look at their profile and they have 5 times the amount of games played and games won. "
    ya ik i did read ur post 
    im just saying that it generally doesnt happen
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Feanor
    @NoXious: Makes sense, I did jump out of bronze when I was placed 30th in the ladder. 
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Semition
    @Feanor said:

" @Semition: Because most of the time I don't stand a chance against these people. I look at their profile and they have 5 times the amount of games played and games won. "

I think as long as your end game score is somewhat close to those the guy you faced, the system will continually place you against those people even if you repeatedly lose.

There's not as many people in 2v2s so the jumps are kinda higher.
    JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JukeboxJoe

Im in bronze, rank 8 or 9 it depends how much I play, but it seems to work OK for me. I've beat the last few slightly favoured players I've played anyway

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By noremnants

So what is crap about that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.