Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

My Travels Down the Creep Highway: Learning Zerg (1)

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By XTraFries

I have been playing Starcraft II off and on since beta and it's one of those games I really want to be good at. 

More importantly, it's a game I feel i CAN be good at through practice. At the top of my game I was in Platinum and fairly confident in my skills, not Korea-good, but respectable. However, for the last few months I've been up at school where a busy schedule and shitty internet has limited my time with SCII to....well, none since the summer. My skills have deteriorated, my league fallen into silver and my skills fallen into memory. I still watch my favorite casters, but haven't had the time to invest to get back into the game. But I'm off for winter break for the next few weeks and want to get back into the game I have been watching from afar for the last few months. 

During beta I mained Protoss and I gradually became pretty proficient with Terran post-launch. However, for this re-learning of Starcraft I'm going to try something different.

That's right. I'm going Zerg, bitches.

Zerg has always been my favorite race to watch in pro matches, both aesthetically and strategically. The way that race works is super interesting to me, despite the fact that I've never really played it much at all (mostly due to the fact that anytime I tried I felt overwhelmed and just went back to my comfortable Terran or Protoss).

So for the next few weeks I'm going to be playing a lot of SCII, exclusively as Zerg. I'll chronicle each match, what went wrong, what went right, and what I've learned from it on each new entry. 

If anyone has any tips, comments, advice, or wants to join me on this creep-laced journey, post 'em below.

Also, if anyone wants to go for a sparring match to test your mettle against my furious Zerg, I'd be more than up for it.

DrStoked#659

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By XTraFries

I have been playing Starcraft II off and on since beta and it's one of those games I really want to be good at. 

More importantly, it's a game I feel i CAN be good at through practice. At the top of my game I was in Platinum and fairly confident in my skills, not Korea-good, but respectable. However, for the last few months I've been up at school where a busy schedule and shitty internet has limited my time with SCII to....well, none since the summer. My skills have deteriorated, my league fallen into silver and my skills fallen into memory. I still watch my favorite casters, but haven't had the time to invest to get back into the game. But I'm off for winter break for the next few weeks and want to get back into the game I have been watching from afar for the last few months. 

During beta I mained Protoss and I gradually became pretty proficient with Terran post-launch. However, for this re-learning of Starcraft I'm going to try something different.

That's right. I'm going Zerg, bitches.

Zerg has always been my favorite race to watch in pro matches, both aesthetically and strategically. The way that race works is super interesting to me, despite the fact that I've never really played it much at all (mostly due to the fact that anytime I tried I felt overwhelmed and just went back to my comfortable Terran or Protoss).

So for the next few weeks I'm going to be playing a lot of SCII, exclusively as Zerg. I'll chronicle each match, what went wrong, what went right, and what I've learned from it on each new entry. 

If anyone has any tips, comments, advice, or wants to join me on this creep-laced journey, post 'em below.

Also, if anyone wants to go for a sparring match to test your mettle against my furious Zerg, I'd be more than up for it.

DrStoked#659

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

Zerg is so damn different from every other race mechanically from a macro perspective that I respect you for making a huge jump over there. I just can't play Zerg, its so damn macro intensive.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XTraFries
    @Meteora:  I know, that's one of the key aspects of this experiment.

Macro with Terran is easy: Make Barracks, summon MULES, make Marines. Protoss is a little different, but once you get enough gates you can warp in a lot of units whenever, so slipping in macro isn't a huge deal either.

Having to manage the larvae and queens and when to make units or drones are the parts I've never been able to nail down.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DystopiaX

Good luck bro, interested to see your updates. From what I know (I don't play zerg) the economic aspect is really different from the other 2 races, due to larvae management/the balance between making units and making drones, etc. As with all advice, I always defer to Day9, cause he's the smartest caster/advice giver I know of. 

edit- from what I can tell, as long as you're not going for timing pushes/early rushes the correct answer is to pretty much always be making drones until you HAVE to make units, and you'd find that out by scouting. Not really sure of timings, I'd just recommend experimentation.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hot_Karl

I'm interested in reading this as well. I'm sure Zerg will be an absolute change of pace for you and it'd be nice to see how you adapt to it via blogs. 

I'm down to get some matches with you (I just bought the game today actually!) but give me a few weeks or so to get my bearings and learn the nuances of the game (my experience with SC2 is basically just when I play at a friend's house which add up to maybe an hour total of gametime).

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora
    @DystopiaX said:
    " Good luck bro, interested to see your updates. From what I know (I don't play zerg) the economic aspect is really different from the other 2 races, due to larvae management/the balance between making units and making drones, etc. As with all advice, I always defer to Day9, cause he's the smartest caster/advice giver I know of.  edit- from what I can tell, as long as you're not going for timing pushes/early rushes the correct answer is to pretty much always be making drones until you HAVE to make units, and you'd find that out by scouting. Not really sure of timings, I'd just recommend experimentation. "
    Yeah, Zerg is a very reactionary race. You need to constantly make drones, expand, scout and react accordingly.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By davidwitten22

I love Zerg, but it's difficult multi-tasking to spawn larvae, spread creep, muta harass, and tech all at the same time. But it's a hell of a lot of fun. Bit of advice, muta harass should also be a muta scout, which will let you know what to tech to.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By wunder_

I would be supporting this - up until I saw the point in your post where you said Macroing with Terran and Toss is easier? Ha. Hahahahahahaha

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By haffy

Macroing drones and getting minerals or gas is probaly easier with Zerg. But spending all the minerals like Terran and Protoss can is probaly harder. Anyway it's a fun race if you play the game for fun and enjoy playing Zerg you won't regret it.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By swamplord666

yeah i tried briefly to get into the race but couldn't do it :( I'll stick with toss

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XTraFries
    @Wunder_: I just mean easier for me to get a handle on.  

Having played so little as Zerg I really don't know how a lot of it works in terms of what I should be doing and when. I understand both of that for Terran and Protoss, so they are easier for me to play and macro with. 

Zerg has just always been a hard race for me to play and understand, which is why I'm doing this little experiment
    Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Titl

Yo, you got balls, son! 

This experiment seems cool, Zerg is the most intimidating race to play imo. It seems like there are a ton of different aspects to have in mind, other than the "make pylons, make probes"  mindset of the other races. Larvae injects seems super key to playing Zerg. And the fact that you use these larvae to make workers and attacking units. 

I'll definitely be following this experiment.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Thule

I would've added you as a friend for some practice matches but you're on the US server so that's not an option unfortunately. Instead, I'll drop my learning resources off here in order to help a fellow Zerg player.

Streams:
    Mr. Bitter's stream. He's a 3k+ Zerg player who's actively trying to get better and has had numerous paid coaching sessions with the gosucoaching people(INControl, Machine) He streams these coaching sessions live and also saves them as VOD's for later.I'd definately recommend watching those coaching sessions, they've helped me immensely.
     http://www.livestream.com/mrbitter

Link to Mr Bitter's coaching VOD's: 
    http://mrbitter.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc

Magulina's stream. He's a high-level European Zerg player (3k+) and plays alot. Also plays in alot of tournaments. 
      http://www.livestream.com/magulina 

ROOTCatz's stream. ROOTCatz is also a very high level Zerg player, but his style is very interesing. He's very cheesy and creative as Zerg, which is a very rare style to see for a Zerg.
      http://www.livestream.com/rootcatz 

Teamliquid forum articles and usefull threads: 
    The Zerg FAQ:  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171315
    The Art of ZvT:  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=176625 
    ZvP Dimage Style:  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=150899 
    ZvP Sheth's Guide(older but still somewhat useful): http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=133023 
    General guide about Zerg Macro(pretty basic stuff, but still good):  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=164060 
    How to more efficiently inject your larvae(couldn't get it to work, but saved it for when I'm able to change hotkeys): http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=172248 
    Zerg Observations:  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=140800 

I've got more, but it's generally out of date. Just pay attention to the Teamliquid forums and look out for good threads.

Also Liquipedia link on Zerg build orders:
     http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Zerg_Strategy 

You can use YABOT to test/practice build orders: 
    http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/yabot/ 

And I'm always repping Day9, because he's awesome. You should already have him bookmarked and if you don't you shouldn't have any problems finding him.

Hope it helps and keep us updated on how you're doing!

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illmatic

On a reverse note, Zerg is the only race I find myself completely comfortable with. Granted, I play random now to force me to learn the ins and outs of other races, but I have the most success when Zerg comes up as the race to play. I've always been a macro player, so Zerg's style fits me perfectly. A tip I learned from watching tons of casts, you always want to be one hatchery above your opponent's command centers/nexuses.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By XTraFries
    @Thule: Damn, sir. Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to check these out. 

I have just returned from a lovely day with my lady, so I'll be doing the first round of matches in a short while. I'll be making a new post with the results of day 1 by the end of the night.
    Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Binbay55

Have been wanting to get into SCII. Wasn't very good at Brood Wars, but never had the time to practice at it. But when I was always Zerg, so I have a bit of understanding on the race. I'll definetly be following this.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By XTraFries

Thanks to everyone for the support and input to this little project of mine. 

made a new post about my first few matches 

it be here

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.