Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Podcast Overwhelming: GiantBomb StarCraft II Community Podcast

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By harris
    Note: We've moved to a new permanent thread. We switched it to blog format so we can change the title as we release new episodes, without having to make a new thread each time. Check it out here for the latest episodes!

Podcast Overwhelming

Wchigo, Moztacular, ThatFrood, Domorin and I have decided to put together a StarCraft podcast. You might recognize us from the Giant Bomb Community StarCraft II touraments, we've all either organized, casted, or participated in those. I think it turned out pretty well! This week we introduce ourselves, talk about our experiences in the game, and go over some news. We'd love it if you gave it a listen. Stick around until the end for a funny outtake.  
    Episode 1  
        Other places to find us: RSS, iTunes page, our site
    Send us an email at:   PodcastOverwhelming@gmail.com 

We would love to hear any sort of feedback and will read everything, thanks!
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By matt

I'm listening as I type this!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By harris
    @Matt: Great, let us know what you think when you're done!
    Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Moztacular

bump because I'm part of this podcast!

kjp93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kjp93

I was actually looking for a starcraft podcast last night. Very convenient 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

It's a cool idea to do community podcasts for specific games.  Not interested in SC2 but I like the idea.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

Oh lordy, you actually kept my spiel about the aesthetics of the zerg. I laughed when that started playing after the outro.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By harris
    @ThatFrood: Oh yes, how could I let that gold go to waste? ;)
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wchigo

Hmm, surprised it's up so fast. Time to give it a listen.

And yes guys, feedback is MOST appreciated as it can only help us improve the quality of the cast. An e-mail should be posted soon so if you have any questions you want to ask us or have us answer on air, there's your opportunity.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thule

I just finished listening to the cast and enjoyed it. Audio quality was very good and I could understand everyone very clearly. 

You kind of  covered the same ground as State of the Game did, but considering the new Patch it's kind of unavoidable. I'm interested to see where you'll go with it from here and will most likely listen to the next episode.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By raidingkvatch

Cool I shall give it a listen right now and tell you what I think from my background as an experienced podcaster.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By harris
    @Thule: Thanks for the feedback!
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By leburgan

Its good but more witty banter would be great

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @harris: OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I will listen to this immediately!  When work is over!  And rehearsal!  After dinner!  Maybe tomorrow!  WOOHOO!!!
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By harris
    @tankintheair315: Thanks. Yeah, we got a tiny bit more serious than necessary, we'll try to loosen up a bit next time.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By leburgan
    @harris: No probs, I found it first on reddit since giant bomb was down for me, and I heard motz's name then yours and i was like o_0 its the giant bomb guys?
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raiz265

terran's underrepresented :D 

can't listen to the whole thing right now, but i like the idea and will get back to it tomorrow... after gsl... :>

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wchigo
    @Thule: 
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, due to the fact that the patch came out, I thought it would be good to have a fairly large focus on that and what the changes would mean for everyone. In the future, we will try to avoid that overlap as much as possible. Glad you enjoyed and I hope we can count on your continued viewership!

@raidingkvatch:
    Please do. Any criticism, constructive of course, will only make us better. :3

@tankintheair315:
    Yeah. When I went back and listened to it, I did notice that we were a bit "stiff" as it were. For my part, some of it probably was nerves (I noticed some shaking in my voice at times). As we get more comfortable recording and "shooting the breeze" with one another, things will hopefully get a little more light-hearted so to speak. I'm hoping we get more of the Zerg aesthetic fun that was left as a "blooper" in the actual podcast in the future, that's definitely a goal.

@StarvingGamer: 
    Yes! Please do! Hope you enjoy, and please let us know what you think.

@raiz265:
    LOL, I suppose. But seeing as how the one Terran player present can snap the collective necks of the rest of us, I think it balances that out a bit. ;p Plus Harris is betraying Aiur and joining the Swarm, so soon the Creep Tsunami will overtake us all. Glad you like the idea, and please let us know how we did.

One thing I noticed myself listening to the recording was that I talked A LOT. Might need to reign that in a little and give the others more "face" time.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Chokobo

Will listen to this on the commute to school tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By thatfrood

It's unfortunate that we aren't in the same room when we record these, because having to press push-to-talk to start speaking cuts the banter a good deal. I think that's the main problem, as we all suddenly feel like we have to wait our turn to speak.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By BunkerBuster

It's got potential, continue working on it and it will be great. 
     Good Luck.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By ekajarmstro  Online

The podcast was pretty cool. Once you determine what your overall audience is it will probably be even better if you direct it more to them so there is less overlap with other podcasts. The best part by far was the part after the final song.

Are you guys using vent to record it? I think State of the Game uses Skype and it feels like they are all in the same room, but that might just be broadcasting experience or whatever.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By harris
    @EkajArmstro: We used mumble, which is a lot like vent. We may end up using Skype or something, I guess we'll have to try that out. Hopefully we have more bits like the part after the final song in future episodes, we could certainly loosen up a bit during the episode :P
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @harris: I was all jazzed to listen to this on the way to work today but for some reason, trying to do a save as on the link you posted doesn't work from my Droid.  I ended up DLing it onto my work computer and transferring it via USB instead so I'll listen to it tonight instead.  Did I mention that I'm super excited?
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By harris
    @StarvingGamer: I appreciate your blind enthusiasm :P Strange that it didn't work on your Droid.
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wchigo

Alright, finally decided to get off my arse and get the e-mail set up. Please direct any and all questions, comments, concerns, constructive criticisms and such forth to PodcastOverwhelming@gmail.com. Ask us anything, we'll be reading through everything and perhaps you might even hear your question on the air.

Again, thanks to everyone for your support, whether you've left a comment in the thread or not.

*bow* m(_ _)m

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @harris:@wchigo:  Man you guys sound NOTHING like I expected you to sound... which is silly since I have no reason to expect either of you to sound like anything.

I really enjoyed listening to you guys talk though.  You did a good job of tossing in quick explanations for inexperienced players before discussing advanced theory.  Also it's nice to actually hear from Zerg players.

The only thing I felt I wanted was some strife.  You guys just seemed to agree on everything.  Even if it's not true to your heart it might be good to play devil's advocate on occasion to make things more interesting.  Then again maybe I'm just addicted to drama.

Anyways great job can't wait for the next one! (and let me know if you would like to add a random player to the mix hohoho)
    kjp93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kjp93
    @harris: How often do you guys plan on doing this podcast? The 1st one was great so keep it up!
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By harris
    @StarvingGamer:  Thanks :D I'll be sure to give you a shout if we're in need of a guest host! Hopefully once we get to know each other a bit more we'll be more comfortable being less nice to each other.

@Kjp93:  Thanks :D We record every Sunday, look for episodes around then.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnag

Listened to it today, great job guys. Wasn't nearly as much dead air as i was expecting from a brand new podcast.
    Lookin forward to the next one.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wchigo
    @BunkerBuster: 
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!

@EkajArmstro:
    Yeah, we haven't quite found our groove yet, and I guess most of the overlap was due to coverage of the patch notes which I personally felt was really important to touch on. Going forward I hope to cover topics that are more relevant to the "everyman" and I/we do have some ideas in mind.

@StarvingGamer:
    Haha, now I'm interested in what you thought we sounded like.

Seeing as how the original idea for the podcast was to focus on the more "general" Starcraft 2 community, I'm happy to see that based on your experience with it we are managing to hit that mark. We want to eventually get players to start thinking and potentially putting those more "advanced" techniques into practice, but we're definitely making a point of easing people into that rather than just dumping a lot of complex ideas and builds on people and letting them fend for themselves. And yes, I definitely wanted representation for all races in the podcast when the idea was first conceived, I just didn't expect it to become so Zerg heavy, lol. (Harris, you have betrayed Aiur!)

As for strife, again, probably as we become more used to playing off of one another we'll feel more comfortable dissing each other and getting that more kind of "crassness" like the Bombcast or SotG. I'm aiming for that 'charmingly garrulous' title that the GB staff are currently in possession of. The closest we came to perhaps "throwing down" on a subject was most likely involving the Void Rays, but eventually that turned the other way. Hopefully we can come up with a real polarising subject in the near future, or perhaps a listener might come up with one and send it in?! Thanks for the nice words, and I hope we can count on your continued patronage! :3

@Kjp93:
    Thanks! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

@audiosnag:
    You're too kind sir. We tried our best, despite it being the first time recording a podcast for most of us, and I think it resulted in a pretty decent product that we can hopefully keep refining and eventually turn into a great product. We definitely got some ideas for the next one and we hope you'll enjoy it as much, if not more, than the first.

Once again folks, if you have any comments, thoughts on how we can improve, topics you want to see us cover or just words of encouragement, by all means let us know! Feel free to post here and we'll try to include it, but don't forget that we now have an e-mail address at PodcastOverwhelming@gmail.com that you can take advantage of as well. Shout outs will of course be made to those that submit material, though should you choose to remain anonymous we shall respect that wish as well. Cheers everyone, we look forward to putting out a quality episode two very soon. =D
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By harris
    @wchigo: I think I'll still be better at commanding the forces of Aiur for quite some time I'm sure, if that's any consolation :P The swarm certainly takes some getting used to.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @harris said:
    " I think I'll still be better at commanding the forces of Aiur for quite some time I'm sure, if that's any consolation :P The swarm certainly takes some getting used to. "
    More drones!
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By harris
    @StarvingGamer: Yeah, I have trouble figuring out just how many units I should have at a given time and end up cutting drones more than I need to. Guess I'll have to work on that!
    DIABLOKU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By DIABLOKU

cool podcast 
    keep em coming

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By raiz265

listened to it now, a pretty cool podcast i think... great to hear some opinions from some casual sc2 consumers instead of listening to incontrol raging at artosis on SotG all the time :P 

though i felt it was a bit long maybe as i lost attention in the end 
    but we could just blame it on minecraft :D

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By wunder_

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod. 

EDIT: @StarvingGamer said: 

(and let me know if you would like to add a random player to the mix hohoho)

<_< >_> I can provide Asian insight. 

@harris:@wchigo:  Man you guys sound NOTHING like I expected you to sound... which is silly since I have no reason to expect either of you to sound like anything.   

Yup. For some reason I thought Harris would sound like Gordon Freeman (Whatever he'd sound like anyways) and wchigo would be a anime girl, or a classy man in a tophat.

Definitely could use some work with some audio tweaks, and you'll have to sort out who's moderating the podcast in general, though it seems Moz seems to have taken the helm. 
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By HydraHam
    @ThatFrood said:
    " It's unfortunate that we aren't in the same room when we record these, because having to press push-to-talk to start speaking cuts the banter a good deal. I think that's the main problem, as we all suddenly feel like we have to wait our turn to speak. "
    The easy solution to that is use skype without press to talk, or if you use vent don't use the press to talk feature, always have the mic on but don't leave it close enough to always be on from breathing etc.

it's quite easy to record a cast with people who aren't with you, you just need to time to get used to each other, i will be checking this cast out later after i get back from the doctor to get my bandage replaced, hopefully this community podcast will actually be heavily ran by the community as well, get a bunch of giantbomb users on the show, maybe interview 1-2 GB users per cast? have a little GB spotlight seg each cast, like 10-15 minutes, or even have one as a guest.

Maybe you guys are already doing that i don't know, i haven't listened to it yet but i will check it out later!
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By harris
    @Wunder_: Yeah, Moz is our designated moderator at the moment. Did you have any specific audio tweaks in mind or just the voice quality overall? I do know that we need to get our levels a little more even. Thanks for the feedback!

@Styl3s: I agree, I think we'll get a little less stiff once as we continue. As far as community stuff goes, all five of our hosts are at least moderately known GB StarCraft community members. I feel like it could get a little crowded if we have more than five people on at once. Maybe that's something we can improve on as we gain a little more podcasting experience. If one of us can't make it or something, though, the GB community would be the first place to go to find a guest host to fill in. But yeah, some sort of interview segment is certainly something we'll consider. And of course, we'll be plugging/discussing any notable GB StarCraft events as they happen.  Thanks for the feedback!
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By csl316

i like it.  i'm really enjoying it, actually

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By HydraHam

@harris 

Yeah you should defiantly have a member spotlight segment or something, like once every podcast or every other one you have a interview with a member and yeah 5 people is a tad bit crowded for a podcast, personally 2-3 is the sweet spot, anymore more is a tad big much especially if you aren't "in sync" but im sure after awhile you all will get into a groove and it will go more smoothly. 

Still would be awesome to have GB starcraft players on it, start up a GB SC clan if you haven't already.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wchigo

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words and support, it really does mean a lot!

@Styl3s:
    That's actually a really good idea that I hadn't thought of before, and it will probably make its way into the show at some point. I figured since SotG can get away with about 4 or 5 people that we could too, as some folks are less vocal than others, and I wanted some representation for all races in the podcast. There was a method to my madness believe it or not, and we are working on ways to improve our chemistry so that future casts will hopefully be a lot smoother and more fun to listen to.

As for GB Starcraft players on the podcast, everyone on the cast is a proud member of the GB community. We all actually met through the monthly Giant Bomb Community Tournament that Harris has founded and organised since beta phase one so I didn't think that'd be an issue, or did you mean something else by that? As for the clan idea, we did have something a tad more specific than that in the cards before, but I think a clan may actually work better than the previous idea. Definitely something we'll look into further.

Thanks for all your feedback. I hope that we can count on your continued support in our efforts to put out a quality product. ^_^

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By wunder_
    @harris:  That's good. As for the audio tweaks, whoever is recording should just try to adjust the levels so that one person isn't super loud while another is soft. Having 5 people on a podcast is quite wild, especially at the start when the listeners are all getting used to the voices. I think the suggestion to change from push-to-talk to audio sensitive is a lot better as it allows for an 'in-room' experience where small chuckles and nuances will be caught, and that really brings up the ambiance of the podcast. Unfortunately, there isn't much else to talk about in terms of the Starcraft II scene as whatever the SOTG talks about, you'll probably discuss as well. However, I'll be interested to see how you weave in community news as this podcast will surely keep the SC2 scene alive in the GiantBomb forums!
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By harris
    @Wunder_: Yeah, we'll try to get the levels evened out before recording tomorrow. As for the podcast keeping the community here alive, I think it's quite the opposite, actually :P Thanks for the feedback.
    harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By harris

Had to delay recording to tomorrow, sorry! Hopefully the episode should be up tomorrow night. 

Update: Episode is up! We've moved to a new thread, though, so go check it out over there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.