Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

PvZ 6 pool --> void ray bronze vs gold

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amir90

I decided to play a couple of ladder matches today, despite it wouldn't help me get to silver/gold (I reckon ladders are still locked?), but anyways.

I lost a couple of matches, one of them because I had to go to the bathroom.
    But then came this match, if you don't want to load up the replay, then you can read what happened on the bottom:
    Link to replay: http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=199096
    Just a regular game, this dude went random on Lost Temple, I was afraid he was going for Zerg (which he did) so I started with the standard walling of ramp, however, I was a little off with my timing so my first zealot (to complete the wallin) was a bit too late. The zerglings came in, and definitly did economic damage to me. Despite being sad about that, I kept on playing, creating new workers to build up my economy.
    Then I started to scout again, I noticed he had roachers and lings, and thought to myself, hmm.
    Most people don't go roach, lings and hydra this early, so maybe a Void Ray push might help me win the game?
    So I started producing void rays, on the third one I sent them down to start attacking his expo, to add to this attack, I sent a sentry to force field his ramp (which I failed at), but nonetheless, I killed his two queens with the void rays, he ended the match with a void ray fag comment, and a big smile emerged on my face.

Happy happy me :)

I noticed later that he was gold player O-o, (I am still bronze, rank 5)

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Donos

Protoss has the one-base dice roll option for void rays and dts, and he didn't know enough to kill you for it. You got the good roll and won. It happens. 

I hate to say it, but if you just smooth the build a bit and rush void rays every game, you'll probably make it to gold pretty easily. In my experience nobody actually prepares for early air, even if they think they do.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
    deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice game, but I noticed a few things you could improve.   

Chrono boost that zealot asap when you see 6-pool incoming, and finish that wall fast, even if you have to cut probes for a few seconds. Remember you're already far ahead economically, and zerg have to deal significant damage to even things out. Cutting probes to complete a wall faster is no big deal in these occasions. 
    After you cleared the attack, you kept mining gas from 2 geysers, having only 6 probes on minerals. It would be nice to have those 3 extra probes mining minerals. Notice how much excess gas you had throughout the game. 

On a second note, make yourself a favor and DON'T rush void rays every game. Work on your macro first, and you'll reach gold level and go even further with solid mechanics.  

Finally, I find it funny that your opponent said void rays are gay, having 6-pooled himself. And no GG either. What a jerk.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ben_H

Just ignore people who rush and then proceed to trash talk you after they completely fall apart from it. They're more than likely mad at themselves for screwing up.

Keep in mind, if a 6pool fails you can do basically anything and win if you do not take any damage from it.  I usually go for a mothership and mass recall into their base or do something else goofy like that.  You may wonder how you can do that but typically if a zerg fails a 6pool a protoss can expand safely before the zerg and get so far ahead it isn't even close.  Another good option is to just send in a bunch of stalkers, zealots and sentries and kill their crippled economy.  They won't have nearly enough units to hold, so things can get ugly really fast.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By amir90

Thanks for the advice, I am aware how bad the macro went here :)

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amir90

Just defeated silver rank 1 player, boosted my confidence, lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
    deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@amir90: I'm sure you will get promoted soon after the ladder resets. 
    pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pigmartyr
    @amir90:  costello is right. Dont VR rush every game. Its easy to get a win and catch your opponent off guard with early VR but your plan to harass should have been to continue building gateway units and spend more effectively in Phoenixes. You would have killed the queens sustaining much fewer losses and been able to bounce back and forth between the bases faster. Besides the fact that pheonixes are fast as hell and build faster they are cheaper wont reduce your ground army size as much as say 4 Vr.   
    Lets break this down alittle:
    250 min/150 gas/60 sec/ 3 food vs 150 min/ 100 gas/ 35 sec/ 2 food.  
    You'll need roughly 4 units to be a really effective harassment. Thats just a rough number based on you have to really micro 2 or 3 VR for queens + 2 pheonixs really arent killing much. So 4 is the number.
      4 Void Ray take:
    4 minutes to build
    1000 Minerals
    600 Gas
    12 food

4 Phoenix take:
    2 minutes 15 seconds
    600 Minerals
    400 Gas
    8 food

Just the time alone should tell you to push out early with phoenixes, but look at the minerals and food count. When you want to talk effective lets talk about how you can get 4 zealots, or 3 stalkers out for the same mineral cost and your army is more effective.   Also look at this as being able to not only harass like crazy, but still 3 gate robo because all of your minerals arent tied up in void rays. Lets also look at your ability to harass the other player and use that 400 to expand.  You see how the possibilities are much more open by using early phoenix to harass and scout?   If you are really attached to the void ray do yourself a favor and use them with colossus, or at least 4 phoenix and one VR. 
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amir90
    @Costello:  Thanks man
    @pigmartyr: Why do you sound like Day9? :D

Thanks for the advice guys.
    pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pigmartyr

I'll take that as a complement. I can assure you my skills of analyzing someone's play is vastly greater than my own. I'm not day 9, just another dude with an affinity for starcraft stuck on a 3rd shift with nothing better to do than post on this forum and watch SC2 replays.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amir90

Hehe :)

@pigmartyr:
    @Costello:
    @Ben_H:
    @Donos:
    Just played my placement match, which was against a gold player rank 12, and now I am in Silver yay ^^
    But with no bonus pool anymore, god I will miss that 1500+ number, lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.