Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Question regarding unit A.I.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

Are units in your own army intelligent enough to not attack one enemy unit each, and also to generally attack units that they are counters to? What I'm wondering is, is using the (A) hotkey wise when ordering an army to attack or is it better to make sure to issue commands more specifically? Can you trust the A.I. to make OK decisions when attacking a group consisting of several unit types?

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By vager

I'm pretty sure they just attack the first unit they can reach first. 
    You'll have to do it manually. "Micro" is the term they use for that.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Semition

For your first one, paritally. Units have smart AI in the sense that they do not overkill like in SC1, which is why you can't use a zealot to bait siege tanks. But they do will not focus fire. It's probably best for you to shift-attack que up multiple target and they'll focus each of them down one by one.

For the second one, I don't think so. They just go for the closest unit.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Jost1

I literally just found out about shift-attacking. Haha.

jangomack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jangomack

shift-attacking? hmm .. new to me
    also, I've noticed that units will stop attacking a building if another enemy unit appears in-range, but only for their auto-attack

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By s7evn

shift+action creates a  queue for those units to do. So you could have a worker go build then shift+right click minerals and after he's done building he'll return to mining.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Crixaliz

I have a similar question and didn't want to make a duplicate thread. 
    How is the A.I. path finding? Is it easy to keep units stay in formation (heavy armor ahead of weaker ones)? 

I haven't played the original and was thinking of getting this, but before I launched up some Dawn of War 1 to get used RTSs again. Kept running into the issue that units going to a location and would take different paths and split up. Sometimes tanks would just get confused and block off a path, also some of the weaker high dps vehicles would just run ahead of the army and get destroyed before the rest of the forces arrive.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Crixaliz said:
    " I have a similar question and didn't want to make a duplicate thread.  How is the A.I. path finding? Is it easy to keep units stay in formation (heavy armor ahead of weaker ones)?  I haven't played the original and was thinking of getting this, but before I launched up some Dawn of War 1 to get used RTSs again. Kept running into the issue that units going to a location and would take different paths and split up. Sometimes tanks would just get confused and block off a path, also some of the weaker high dps vehicles would just run ahead of the army and get destroyed before the rest of the forces arrive. "
    You still need to keep units in formation.  If you have a bunch of Zealots and Stalkers and attack move them both, the stalkers will run ahead of the zealots because they are faster. 

However, the game is very forgiving about having units move out of the way to let others through (As long as they're not holding position or firing) so it's mostly easily to get the units you want to the front line, with exceptions being some ramps that are there to force you to funnel your forces.
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Crixaliz
    @SamDrugbringer:  Thanks, that sounds pretty manageable.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sixghost
    @Crixaliz said:
    " I have a similar question and didn't want to make a duplicate thread.  How is the A.I. path finding? Is it easy to keep units stay in formation (heavy armor ahead of weaker ones)?  I haven't played the original and was thinking of getting this, but before I launched up some Dawn of War 1 to get used RTSs again. Kept running into the issue that units going to a location and would take different paths and split up. Sometimes tanks would just get confused and block off a path, also some of the weaker high dps vehicles would just run ahead of the army and get destroyed before the rest of the forces arrive. "

You aren't going to be using set formations like something out of Age of Empires if that's what you are asking. That said, the unit AI and pathing is fucking light years ahead of BW.  Though, in a way it can be a lot worse than broodwar. I think the ability to group and unlimited # of units into 1 control group really enables a lot of bad habits in players, day9 called it 1 control group syndrome or something. Regardless of how good the unit grouping and pathing is, good flanking and a good unit spread is still incredibly important. I can't tell you how many TvZs I've played where the zerg will send their entire army at me in one giant blob, instead of splitting up their army into 2-3 groups and flanking.

To answer your actual question, units with different movement speeds will not stay together. Although it's not really that big of a deal, you just need to be a little more attentive to you army. Keeping important units on a separate hotkey helps as well.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Crixaliz: 

I'd say the best solution to that problem is to not issue orders for huge groups over a large distance.  If you wanna send your army to attack a base, give them short orders to move maybe a screen at a time.  This will take longer, but it will keep them together in a decent formation.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sixghost
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Crixaliz:   I'd say the best solution to that problem is to not issue orders for huge groups over a large distance.  If you wanna send your army to attack a base, give them short orders to move maybe a screen at a time.  This will take longer, but it will keep them together in a decent formation. "
    Or you just need to know where the opponent's army is, which is something you really should know at all times. If you know that then it doesn't really matter if your army gets split when you are moving.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nukesniper

They attack the first thing they find usually. If they find a building, it dies, however, with the A hotkey attack they will switch in some cases. 

Basically, if they are attacking a building they will target a unit instead. (Example: Telling Mutalisks to attack near a command center will have them kill all of the SCVs, then the nearest buildings when the SCVs die. )

The only other switch I have noticed is a Defend Theyself switch. For Example here: if you send an air unit over with an 'A' command and they run into a bunch of Roaches and Zerglings, they will start to mop them up, but once one Hydralisk shows up and attacks one of them, they will kill the hydra as it poses a threat to them. 

Therefore, from what I have noticed, this is the scale of thought that the Attack AI goes through from most important to least: 
    1: An enemy unit that can attack me. (Defend self) Note: structures will jump up here if they can attack the units (IE: Cannons, Turrets, Crawlers)
    2: Any enemy unit. (Good for killing overlords, drones, SCVs that repair buildings etc.) 
    3: Any enemy structure. (Nothing else to kill? I'll just blow up this damn Supply Depot) 
    4: Nothing. This is where your units continue to advance to the point you designated. 

One Final Note: Starcraft 2 has fixed the Supply Depot wall issue that the AI had in SC1 (at least last time I played it). What I mean by this is that, if there is a building in the way of a unit getting in range to attack a threatening enemy, the unit will then destroy the building in order to get to that enemy. In Starcraft 1 the units would kind of bounce back an forth, confused. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.