Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Sitting @ Rank #1 - How Does Ranking-up to the Next League Work?

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

Hey guys, I hope someone here can answer my question.  I've been trying to figure this out, asked a few people in game, and even looked on the Battle.net Forums.  How exactly does Ranking-up work in the StarCraft II Ladder?   No one seems to have a straight definitive answer.  

Currently, I'm sitting at Rank #1 in my Division in the Silver League (1v1), and it's just a pain having to keep defending my title.  I would much rather be climbing-up a ladder than just standing on the top rung :(  Can I Rank-up already please... Blizzard?  Hello? :p   

Zeralith - 1v1 - Silver - Void Ray ETA - Rank 1
     Zeralith - 1v1 - Silver - Void Ray ETA - Rank 1
    I've gotten a couple good win streaks... like this 9 in a rower; does it help?:   

Zeralith - 1v1 - 9 Wins in a Row
     Zeralith - 1v1 - 9 Wins in a Row

I feel like I got put in Silver, in the first place, due to the fact I got a dissconnect during one of my Placement Matches.  

Does anyone know, exactly, how does Ranking-up work in the StarCraft II Ladder?  Maybe someone here knows... Thank you!  :)  
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...your score isn't high enough of a difference from second, and third place.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @KaosAngel said:
    " ...your score isn't high enough of a difference from second, and third place. "
    This. 

You're clearly not THAT much better than everyone else in Silver so you're prolly where you should be for now.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Luke
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" ...your score isn't high enough of a difference from second, and third place. "
    This.   You're clearly not THAT much better than everyone else in Silver so you're prolly where you should be for now. "
    That's because I keep having to defend myself.  Also, I've seen some other Silver League Divisions and  their top places only have like scores of 300-ish.  It kinda sucks that I got put in a really competitive Silver Division (but not really, I sorta like the challenge :p ).  

Basically, all I'm saying, is that I don't understand the system at all and really wish Blizzard would explain it in detail somewhere... sigh.  I almost feel like the "Ranking-up System" isn't working yet.  Like Blizzard hasn't turned-it-on or something.  

Anyone know how the system works 100%, exactly, in full detail... or have a link to the information?  Has anyone Ranked-up yet, after Placing?  Thanks for any info you can give!  
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By empfeix
    Nobody knows how it works exactly - so unfortunately you are just going to have to go by your own experience over time.  Or perhaps blizzard will spill the beans although I find that unlikely.  I got placed in the silver division and after about 70 games a message appeared saying I was being put down to bronze.  It will be interesting to see since I'm near the top of bronze if I do well when I get put back up to silver. 

@Jeffsekai said:
    " @Luke: What do you mean "Defend" your self? are you being challenged or something?  

I wanna say your "score" isnt just based on wins so maybe lvl up your play a bit and see what happens? 

EDIT: Dang gumit you didn't look very hard for this did you? 

http://ezinearticles.com/?Starcraft-2-League-System---How-it-Works&id=4521789 

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=How+ranking+up+in+Stacraft+2+works&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=5483fcec5a39f995 "

thats all speculation
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @empfeix said:
    " Nobody knows how it works exactly - so unfortunately you are just going to have to go by your own experience over time.  Or perhaps blizzard will spill the beans although I find that unlikely.  I got placed in the silver division and after about 70 games a message appeared saying I was being put down to bronze.  It will be interesting to see since I'm near the top of bronze if I do well when I get put back up to silver.
    "
    Beat people who are a higher league than you.
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By illmatic19

I got put in silver, but I wanted to be put in the lower ranks. =(

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By empfeix
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @empfeix said:

" Nobody knows how it works exactly - so unfortunately you are just going to have to go by your own experience over time.  Or perhaps blizzard will spill the beans although I find that unlikely.  I got placed in the silver division and after about 70 games a message appeared saying I was being put down to bronze.  It will be interesting to see since I'm near the top of bronze if I do well when I get put back up to silver.
    "
    Beat people who are a higher league than you. "
    He knows this he wants to know the intricacies of the math behind it.  Obviously if he keeps beating players, especially ones ranked higher, he will get moved up faster.  It would be kinda neat to see the league system stripped down in how it works. 

@illmatic19 said:
    " I got put in silver, but I wanted to be put in the lower ranks. =( "
    lol thats kinda what happened to me.  dont worry yourself silver division isnt too scary trust me, although I still moved down to bronze eventually, I had wins and tight matches
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Luke
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @Luke: What do you mean "Defend" your self? are you being challenged or something?  

I wanna say your "score" isnt just based on wins so maybe lvl up your play a bit and see what happens? 

EDIT: Dang gumit you didn't look very hard for this did you? 

http://ezinearticles.com/?Starcraft-2-League-System---How-it-Works&id=4521789 

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=How+ranking+up+in+Stacraft+2+works&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=5483fcec5a39f995 "

LOL!  I'm reading all this stuff now... I started Googling after I made this post.  But it's dumb that it's not in Blizzard's FAQs on their, you know, actual own website.  

As far as "Defend", I mean that those 2 assholes Thorns and Oblivion keep trying to 1-up me.  So, I have to keep playing with my shit 0 Bonus Pool :p  I have yet to actually fight either of them, as far as I can tell, which I so wish I could.   

@empfeix said:
    "  
    And now on to this.  Interesting.  Oh well, I guess I'll just keep pwning and see what happens.  Maybe when I hit 500 Points? (which most people in Platinum don't even have).  It's such a weird system, in my opinion.   

Thanks for the replies so far guys!  
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By empfeix
    @Luke:  whats even funnier is when you move divisions you keep the points you have - i moved from silver to bronze and went from 61 to 2 - i won one game and was number 1 :D lol
    Seraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seraphim
    @Luke:  So it's weird; I placed at the lowest possible position (100 of bronze), but then won like 10 in a row against favored opponents, and it just bumped me to silver.  I was only at rank 10 of bronze by that point, but it was apparently enough to please some blizzard overmind somewhere.  Basically, I think you need to score wins against favored opponents, and that winning against even, or lower skilled players (at least according to battle.net's analysis) just gets you that opportunity to face them.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm currently like 30 in Silver, but still have a pretty good record against slightly favored opponents (not so hot against favored ones though :(  see if I can't decipher some pattern).
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Thrawn1

the system reviews your recent history every x number of games. blizzard specifically said that x is not to be revealed:

' 'Q. How does a player move from one league to another? (For Example: from Silver league to Gold.)

A. After you’ve finished your initial placement, the system continues to review your performance and determines what league you should be placed in based on those reviews. The time and frequency of these reviews is kept hidden."

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By commandercup

I don't think how you play in a game has any bearing as I just had a match where the other play dropped immediately and still earned a decent point boost (16, normally I get 17-19). That being said, I definitely can see that you rank up by beating players in higher leagues as I've played numerous higher league players although I don't really get how the system is fair as I've played people from the diamond league (I'm in silver) after having a huge win streak and consequently lost. I don't really see why you don't play just 1 league up and 1 league down... seems like that would make more sense as I've played more platinum and diamond than I have gold. 

@Thrawn do you have a link to a page that shows that Blizzard said that? I'd hate to have to wait to move up a league as I'm currently 2nd in silver and have been winning consistently although 1st has a hefty lead.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

I finally got around to doing my placement matches, one vs Platinum and four vs Diamond players.  I won the first two vs a Platinum and a Diamond, lost the next two vs Diamonds, then was about to roflstomp the last Diamond match after eating his Proxy rush for breakfast when my game crashed x_x which ended up tossing me into Gold league.

I got pissed off and ended up plowing through my next five games vs a Bronze, two more Platinum and two more Diamond players.  I got my 5 1v1 streak achievement and figured surely I'd get into Platinum where I belong but, sadly, that promotion did not come.  I guess I just have to keep beating people who are higher league than me?  Dammit I want my Platinum!

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Skytylz
    @KaosAngel: This isn't right, in my division I'm stuck in 2nd because the guy in first has like 300 points more than any of us. 
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Rayeth

Being first in a division means nearly nothing.  The points that Battle.net shows you is a nice approximation of something that vaguely represents the number that battle.net uses to match you with other players.  What is important is difference between the players in the league, and weirdly how and who players lose against.

There are numerous reported instances of players getting stuck and unable to rank up until they lose a game.  Check some of the Teamliquid threads that talk about this.  There is lot of speculation as to why this is, but ultimately only Blizzard knows.  

So either man up and mass game and just win over your opponents, or take a break from multiplayer for a week, let them rank up, and then swoop in for an easier rank up later.  I recommend the single player and the Outmatched vs AI acheivments.

Thegerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thegerman

As far as i know you have to win against someone who is "Favoured" which means he is most likely a higher league... 
    Ofcourse you also have to have a good enough score and rank

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By commandercup
    @Thegerman said:

" As far as i know you have to win against someone who is "Favoured" which means he is most likely a higher league... Ofcourse you also have to have a good enough score and rank "

Favored doesn't always mean they are in a higher league, just that they have a higher point number or something of the sort.

On that note, I finally f*cking ranked up! I went from being in 2nd place in silver to 1st in platinum! I was ~1 match's points away from becoming 1st in my silver league and then I got my promotion! About time as I've been playing non-stop plats and diamonds...

edit:

No Caption Provided

*And yes, I am Korean lol.

I won by default to a platinum player (he left) and I think my league was newly created as everyone has "!" next to their name rather than the up and downs and "-"s.
    kjp93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kjp93

Has anyone else experienced an issue where the loading screen shows your opponent as favored then if you beat them it says +pts (you were favored) when it clearly said you weren't before?

TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TsuHai
    @Kjp93: @Kjp93 said:
    " Has anyone else experienced an issue where the loading screen shows your opponent as favored then if you beat them it says +pts (you were favored) when it clearly said you weren't before? "
    Yes, i have. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

FINALLY after beating 2 Plats and 6 Diamonds I get freaking promoted to Plat, christ.

Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Lordborg909

Im in 2v2 silver... I get whopped on a regular basis, put me in bronze ffs.... Im not good at this game....

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By ReyGitano

Someone has to explain to me why people are so obsessed with getting to higher ranks. It seems to me that if you get good enough, don't worry, you'll make it. Otherwise why worry about getting into a higher league if it just means your going to lose more often?

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By noremnants
    @TsuHai said:
    " @Kjp93: @Kjp93 said:
    " Has anyone else experienced an issue where the loading screen shows your opponent as favored then if you beat them it says +pts (you were favored) when it clearly said you weren't before? "
    Yes, i have.  "
    That bug has been around since beta. They fixed it but then it popped right back up in release.

As for the OP, You will start to be matched with people in higher leagues than you. You must win at least some of these games to be promoted. The more you win the better your chances of moving up.
    ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By ethan_raiden

Ranking up has nothing to do with being first in the division, or having a lot more points than the others in your division. Keep winning your games against higher ranked players, and it doesn't matter if you're 40th in the gold leauge, you will be promoted.

Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Everybody_Poops
    @Luke: 
     The score or anything like that doesnt matter. Eventually you will just get promoted. Check out the leagues of the people you play against. I was like 6th in Gold for a long time even though I knew I was a much better player. I was getting matched up against platinum and diamond players all the time and after a few days I got promoted straight into diamond. And I wasnt even in first.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Binman88
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " Someone has to explain to me why people are so obsessed with getting to higher ranks. It seems to me that if you get good enough, don't worry, you'll make it. Otherwise why worry about getting into a higher league if it just means your going to lose more often? "
    A very good point. It's kinda why I didn't bother with the practice league. I did my placement matches after one practice game and got dumped into the bronze league where I belonged. I've now won 51 out of of 91 1v1 games, sitting at 12th in the league, and I'm fairly happy with how I've progressed. I'm in no rush to go into the silver league until I've played enough to the point where I'm good enough. I trust the behind-the-scenes Blizzard algorithms that dictate when I should be moved up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.