Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Why did they turn this into Firefly?

DeadSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By DeadSpace

Forgive me if I'm just not remembering the first Starcraft right. I was (let's see...12 years ago...) 11 when it came out. But I loved the edginess of the Terrans in SC1. It seemed like Jim Raynor and crew were more the type that would listen to metal music while riding around in their vultures and less the type that would hang out in a cantina listening to country music.

This is a bit of a rant but they've made this into Firefly. Jimmy is a space cowboy who can't run away from a past civil war. Tychus is the muscle with uncertain motives. They listen to country tunes in a bar. And they TALK SO GD slow in the cutscenes because everyone is doing a southern drawl. 

I liked Firefly. I just would prefer if they kept the feel of the Terrans more consistent with SC1.

I'm also willing to be corrected here. If the Terrans in SC1 were space cowboys, let me know and I'll rest my case. I'm just - like most people posting on forums - looking to see if anyone is having the same thoughts about this as I am?

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By yinstarrunner

Yeah you're totally remembering it wrong.  The terrans in starcraft 1 were totally rednecks in space for the most part.

Link06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Link06

You're right on some aspects there, expecting there to be metal and such, but I find that the style incorporated in StarCraft 2 matches the characters and theirs moods quite well. It's impossible to change the game now but at least it's tolerable and the music ain't half bad. Would've been interesting if they changed it to something more metal though, no doubt.

DeadSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeadSpace
    @yinstarrunner:  Yeah. I should go back and play through it again. Maybe this was how Blizzard imagined the Terrans all along and they just finally get to show it off now that they have the budget to do all this between missions interactive stuff.

I guess maybe after Red Dead Redemption, I'm a little cowboy-ed out at the moment.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

It's just as space trucker.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Nephrahim
    @DeadSpace said:

" @yinstarrunner:  Yeah. I should go back and play through it again. Maybe this was how Blizzard imagined the Terrans all along and they just finally get to show it off now that they have the budget to do all this between missions interactive stuff.  I guess maybe after Red Dead Redemption, I'm a little cowboy-ed out at the moment. "

Pretty much. 

I see someone already linked the "It's a zergling" movie, which does a pretty good job of it. 

Remember, the old Terran government was the " Terran Confederacy." complete with the stars and bars. 

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Terran_Confederacy
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

If anything they toned the redneck down.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Nothing character-wise comes anywhere close to matching Firefly in this game, and Im not even a huge Firefly fan. You're better comparing it to a saturday morning cartoon.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Jost1

The music in this game, everything from the space opera orchestral pieces to the country twangy music, is fucking outstanding.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Jost1
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nothing character-wise comes anywhere close to matching Firefly in this game, and Im not even a huge Firefly fan. You're better comparing it to a saturday morning cartoon. "
    This is pretty unfair, have you seen saturday morning cartoons lately dude?
    aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By aleryn

Uh dude, the Terrans in StarCraft I have a very strong southern United States vibe to them.  Go replay SC1's Terran campaign and you might pick up on it.

EggPuppet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By EggPuppet
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nothing character-wise comes anywhere close to matching Firefly in this game, and Im not even a huge Firefly fan. You're better comparing it to a saturday morning cartoon. "
    Cowboys in space flying around in a ship taking odd jobs in moral grey areas and running afoul of the law... definite Firefly vibe there.

The writing is certainly worse, though.
    DeadSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeadSpace

I like that Jimmy is still able to control an army while he must be ravenously drunk the entire game, given the way he's cradling a tumbler of whiskey every time we see him.

To everyone who sent me links to the cutscenes and wikipedia excerpts, thanks. I loved both the Starcraft and Brood War campaigns but they're fuzzy memories.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Sarumarine

I think the most extreme example of "Redneck" Terrans came from a cutscene during the Zerg Campaign in StarCraft. A bunch of Marines carry some kind of cold fusion nuclear device onto a compromised science vessel. They hide beer and ice in the bomb case and all of them are missing more than a few teeth.

I haven't played StarCraft II yet but a Firefly vibe doesn't sound bad. I kinda liked that show. Although, I wonder if this is one of those Western vs. Country arguements. People always tell me there's a serious difference.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By mazik765

Firefly was awesome...the more similarities the better.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Jams

I love firefly and that must be why I loved the cutscenes in SC2. I don't know why, but country instrumentals and space always get me going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.