Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Worth Watching CNN Vid on SCII Posted Today

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NathHaw

Thanks to @HuskyStarcraft on Twitter for letting it be known:

Old vid got taken down, so I got it straight from CNN instead this time. Check it out!

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Questionable

This falls under Youtube spam right?

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NathHaw

@Questionable said:

Your name and subsequent comment gave me a chuckle.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

You should probably add a little more so this doesn't get locked. Also, thanks for posting this I probably would have missed it otherwise.

The video was kinda neat, the lady talking wasn't extremely enthused and it seems like this video should have went up several months ago. I think brad's video was a little better because he was actually excited about stacraft and it didn't go up months and months after the event covered!

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NathHaw

@Skytylz said:

You should probably add a little more so this doesn't get locked. Also, thanks for posting this I probably would have missed it otherwise.

The video was kinda neat, the lady talking wasn't extremely enthused and it seems like this video should have went up several months ago. I think brad's video was a little better because he was actually excited about stacraft and it didn't go up months and months after the event covered!

I leave it up to the mods to distinguish between a video that speaks for itself and my adding begging, nonsense comments to a relevant video to try to avoid a lock.

I'll admit that I get happy when I see this kind of stuff get a CNN budget short vid. I was reminded a little of some recent indie vids that share this style, specifically the music.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

@nrh79: Video has been taken down apparently, which sucks.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@nrh79 said:

@Skytylz said:

I leave it up to the mods to distinguish between a video that speaks for itself and my adding begging, nonsense comments to a relevant video to try to avoid a lock.

I'll admit that I get happy when I see this kind of stuff get a CNN budget short vid. I was reminded a little of some recent indie vids that share this style, specifically the music.

Just expand on that last line you just wrote and copy/paste it into the first post. This stuff is neat to see, but they're right that it looks like spam right now.

And yeah, looks like the video is gone anyway :(

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NathHaw

@Chavtheworld: I got a new one posted if you want to see it.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

Okay so this is MVP, player for Incredible Miracle or IM. He was the undisputed best player in the world at Starcraft II for a long period of time ub the second half of 2011. He has won 4 GSL championships (the biggest Starcraft II league featuring the best players in Seoul, South Korea). which is more than any other person He has also finished second once in a GSL, won a BlizzCon, an MLG and WCG 2011 in December, which was where this video was taking place. He is still very good but not quite as revered as he used to be because of his carpal tunnel injuries.

Put in OP if you want, I guess.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard

@nrh79: Thanks, that was really interesting!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#11  Edited By Brackynews

Ok so this thread isn't getting near enough traction as it should. :)

It's not just the one video (which is excellent), it's an entire CNN feature about the families of Starcraft 2 players, pro-gaming versus actual internet addiction, and the psycho/socio impact that gaming has had on the Korean culture over the last decade.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/08/tech/gaming.series/korea.html

And that is just one feature out of several on gaming and society, many quite positive. ("Guitar Pee"? Can we make a page for that?) It's fair, I think, that the South Korean context is on addiction, but it's also the only space where they can contrast that with 6 figure pro-gaming salaries and training houses. The core point made in the MVP video, it seems, is that it's difficult for a parent or a teacher to recognise the difference in children and teenagers. It's not The Wizard, and you can't just stick your kid in a program and hope he's a savant. With the olympics going on, we applaud how kids will give up their lives to be gymnasts or swimmers and make their country proud. That's how Starcraft works in Korea, yeah? The timing of this piece seems quite deliberate.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

@nrh79: This video alone has way more value to it on these forums than some of the videos that get posted up and left open...

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

This kind of stuff should be on the front page, sometimes I wish GB would have a more Kotaku approach to news.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pweidman

Great stuff. So interesting that he was a learning delayed child yet is so brilliant now. And good to see mainstream having a look see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Questionable said:

I really hate how often people suggest this about genuinely cool or interesting videos. Great video, I love that SC2 is getting some us coverage.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NathHaw

@jakob187: *brofist*

Some of the people who commented on the spam youtube-ish nature of the vid have deleted their posts (more than one), it seems. Even if it falls into that category, as I said, let the mods decide. I figured it would pass the test for the most part. Even if it doesn't, at least somebody got to see it.

Remember to maximize the vid.

CaptainPeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By CaptainPeach

CNN spams the world about just as much as YouTube but takes itself a whole lot more seriously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.