How does steam count its hours?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I find it weird that the hours played count is usually so off. For example, it says I've played 38 hours of Dead Island while the actual games says I've played around 30. I just find it weird because I didn't leave the game running whatsoever. Have you guys experienced this? Seems strange to me.

#2 Posted by gkhan (417 posts) -

It's counting in seasons of love.

#3 Edited by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba:

Steam counts everything, anytime the game is running.

The reason it does not coincide with game hours is because games usually only count ingame time. Frequently excluding menus, cut scenes, dialogue, etc. Also games almost always count it as one continuous playthough and exclude stuff that you played but did not load from. Say you play half an hour then reload to a previous save because of a bug/crash whatever, game is not going to count that time, Steam will.

As a result Steam time_played will almost always display more then what the games tell you themselves on saves.

#4 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

It says I've played 57 hours of Costume Quest when it's actually like 3 hours, I find that really weird

Maybe I left the game running in the background?

#5 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

It says Ive played 138 hours of Dota 2 but I still suck at it, it is definitively wrong.

#6 Posted by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@NekuSakuraba:

Steam counts everything, anytime the game is running.

The reason it does not coincide with game hours is because games usually only count ingame time. Frequently excluding menus, cut scenes, dialogue, etc. Also games almost always count it as one continuous playthough and exclude stuff that you played but did not load from. Say you play half an hour then reload to a previous save because of a bug/crash whatever, game is not going to count that time, Steam will.

As a result Steam time_played will almost always display more then what the games tell you themselves on saves.

This is your answer; Steam just monitors if the game's .exe is running or not.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11642 posts) -

Steam's hour counter is barely a decent estimate, the in-game one is better but still not as good.

#8 Posted by Reisz (1461 posts) -

I had a torrid love affair with the original Witcher for a couple of months, for some reason I would just leave it running when I went to work and seamlessly pick it up when I returned home. Now it's my most played game with over six hundred hours. Hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.