Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

How does steam count its hours?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I find it weird that the hours played count is usually so off. For example, it says I've played 38 hours of Dead Island while the actual games says I've played around 30. I just find it weird because I didn't leave the game running whatsoever. Have you guys experienced this? Seems strange to me.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gkhan

It's counting in seasons of love.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

@NekuSakuraba:

Steam counts everything, anytime the game is running.

The reason it does not coincide with game hours is because games usually only count ingame time. Frequently excluding menus, cut scenes, dialogue, etc. Also games almost always count it as one continuous playthough and exclude stuff that you played but did not load from. Say you play half an hour then reload to a previous save because of a bug/crash whatever, game is not going to count that time, Steam will.

As a result Steam time_played will almost always display more then what the games tell you themselves on saves.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

It says I've played 57 hours of Costume Quest when it's actually like 3 hours, I find that really weird

Maybe I left the game running in the background?

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Rattle618

It says Ive played 138 hours of Dota 2 but I still suck at it, it is definitively wrong.

Thompson820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Thompson820

@Tennmuerti said:

@NekuSakuraba:

Steam counts everything, anytime the game is running.

The reason it does not coincide with game hours is because games usually only count ingame time. Frequently excluding menus, cut scenes, dialogue, etc. Also games almost always count it as one continuous playthough and exclude stuff that you played but did not load from. Say you play half an hour then reload to a previous save because of a bug/crash whatever, game is not going to count that time, Steam will.

As a result Steam time_played will almost always display more then what the games tell you themselves on saves.

This is your answer; Steam just monitors if the game's .exe is running or not.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

Steam's hour counter is barely a decent estimate, the in-game one is better but still not as good.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By reisz

I had a torrid love affair with the original Witcher for a couple of months, for some reason I would just leave it running when I went to work and seamlessly pick it up when I returned home. Now it's my most played game with over six hundred hours. Hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.