Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

Vega Joins SFV Roster

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yo Vega is back! A couple stray observations:

• It looks like his V-Skill is sheathing the claw which changes some of his attack properties? Maybe? Not sure how that's balanced in terms of generating V-Meter though so maybe I'm reading it wrong.
    • He seems to be able to hitconfirm off of cLP cLP cMP sooo that's going to be a footsies nightmare.
    • His V-Reversal looks like it's just his backflip, so I wonder if he lost it as a special move.
    • He has some new special move where he pirouettes and slashes/punches, seems to have invincibility frames.
    • His V-Trigger looks one-use like Nash, seems like he can throw a super-fast tracking rose projectile from anywhere that automatically follows up with a two-hit leaping claw. That's, like, amazingly good. It shuts down so many options while you have it active. Then again the damage probably won't be huge and he doesn't seem to power-up in any other way.
    • His Super is a combination of both Ultras from SFV it seems.

Looks cool, especially since he can stow his claw and they seem to be going out of their way to differentiate his attacks in both modes. Woo!

EDIT: Just read the Combofiend blog on Vega. Looks like his pirouette claw is his actual V-Skill which is confusing since I'm like, 99% sure I saw an EX version of it at 0:33.

EDIT2: Vega is 100% motions, no charge moves

EDIT3: What the fuck is this even

No Caption Provided

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not a lot of use making these, the SFV character announcements usually get an official thread on GB.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Barrabas

I'll be curious to see if they still maintain the knocking off the claw and mask mechanic. That has felt like an unnecessary nerf to Vega for the sake of tradition for a while now.

Edit: Never mind, looks like the post on Capcom Unity confirms the claw can still be knocked off and this time can't be picked back up. Well at least they're designing a dedicated claw-less fighting style for him so maybe it will be fine.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird to say the least, maybe the least popular vanilla character. I mean Vega's cool but makes more sense as early DLC.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Whoever edited this trailer deserves a raise. That music syncing up with the hits is so godlike.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yep thats vega alright.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Definitely near the bottom in terms of usage in SFIV, but the changes they're making to him make him seem like he's going to be one of the most technical characters in SFV so that's sure to draw some players. Personally, I don't care who they add to the game as long as they make them interesting, and SFV Vega is definitely interesting.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I had the volume down before but yeah, the part with the roll was fucking godlike.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: I don't mind who they put in the game too much, just the fewer slots there are the fewer chances of specific characters that you want being announced (Sakura and Sagat for me). Also Vega isn't really a huge deal in the competitive scene right now; that may or may not matter in the long run (if it doesn't matter then that means the character is probably pretty OP).

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I somehow forgot Vega existed until this video. Very cool. He looks great.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be interesting to see how Vega plays with a command grab. Especially with the question of will it be motion or charge, 'cause motion command grabs are a huge PITA as I learned messing with Yata.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top of my head I can only think of the one in Yatagarasu for... now I can't think of her name, but it is charge d->u which is SUPER brutal to try and do in combat.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man, I hate Vega, but not as much as I hate Blanka, so this isn't so bad.

TopLeftCenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're thinking of Hanzo's command grab in Yatagarasu. One neat thing about her is that her teleport move that you do a half circle for doesn't actually require a full half circle, you only need to go down back to down forward. That way you can keep charge while teleporting in and grab them immediately.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah ha so you can use teleport still for mobility while charging. Did not know that, interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I like his Count of Monte Cristo puffy shirt.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bison still has charge moves (although with his VTrigger there are conditions where his moves don't require charge) so they aren't TOTALLY out of the game. I haven't seen confirmation either way on how Vega's moves work though.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sagat and Vega are my two favorite SF characters so, feeling pretty good right now. It could just be my bias but I have a hard time seeing Sagat not being in, or at the least being added quickly.

I like what I see in this video. Something about Vega has never felt right to me in 4 so hopefully I enjoy playing him again.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this version of Vega plays with the same precision as the version in SSFII. The version in IV left a lot to be desired, IMO. He felt slow and more easy to read.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping for more new, obscure and diverse characters in SFV, a la Alpha or SF3. Except for Necalli and sort-of Charlie since he's a zombie now, each new addition has been pretty standard. And I'm sure there's still mainstays like Balrog, Zangief, Dhalsim, Akuma and Sagat to come to disappoint me further.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BradBrains

Waste of a slot IMO

Never been a fan

Needs more alpha 3 characters

Sucks that all the characters I use (Sakura, juri, rose) aren't seeming like they are gonna be in 5

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I dunno, this version of Vega seems like a pretty diverse choice considering that he's one of two stance character in all of SF (Gen is the only other one right?).

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping for more new, obscure and diverse characters in SFV, a la Alpha or SF3. Except for Necalli and sort-of Charlie since he's a zombie now, each new addition has been pretty standard. And I'm sure there's still mainstays like Balrog, Zangief, Dhalsim, Akuma and Sagat to come to disappoint me further.

People don't seem to like that. I don't quite get it.But whenever a new fighting game is put out, there are a bunch of people whining for their favorite old characters just like they were in the old game. The obvious response would be "... why don't you just play the old game", but they seem totally willign to put up new money to buy the same game they already own.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: Of those, I would say Sakura is very likely, Juri is very unlikely, and Rose is somewhere in the middle. I am kind of doubting any fighters that debuted in SF4 will make it to SFV, at least on its original roster.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: I hope they'll have at least one SFIV representative in the game. It would be nice to have someone from every generation.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Vega was my main in Street Fighter IV (for as much as anyone as scrubby as I am can have a main), but when you throw the words "stance change" at me, that's a good way to ensure that I'll be one of those idiots who just sticks with Ryu.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WesternWizard

@hippie_genocide: I would put Sakura as low likelyhood of being in the final 4 existing cast to make it in while Juri is more likely because she is more different than any of the existing characters without needing to reimagine her, which would give them more time to redesign Sak as DLC later.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This just in: Vega is no-longer a charge character

As someone who doesn't like playing charge character but still likes the characters themselves, SF5 is shaping up to be pretty darn exciting.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By StarvingGamer

Hm, they got rid of Cammy's duckface? No idea what to think at this point.

No Caption Provided

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Cammy on the right looks like she was late for work because she overslept and had to get changed in a hurry.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Definitely near the bottom in terms of usage in SFIV, but the changes they're making to him make him seem like he's going to be one of the most technical characters in SFV so that's sure to draw some players. Personally, I don't care who they add to the game as long as they make them interesting, and SFV Vega is definitely interesting.

Low in usage, but it makes sense to add him in as he is an incredibly popular character. Making him full circular motions maaay change his popularity though.

vrj_rrls_2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man everyone is looking great so far

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just heard about Vega not being a charge character now, guess I'm not playing vega then :/ Hopefully they'll put in balrog so I'll get my charge character turtling fix

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By officer_falcon

@belegorm: Apparently Necalli has been turned into a charge character instead.

No Caption Provided

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@officer_falcon: I'll try him when I get the chance; though combofiend did say vega's half circle inputs weren't final and I expect longtime vega players to be up in arms.

Not to mention vega's moveset looks crazy atm, in the past he was balanced by needing to down-back more, now he can be a crazy rushdown character (which is exactly the way I don't want to play him; I like the pokey, defensive guy with the occasional walldive thrown into combos).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.