Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Chip damage... and the strangest opponent ever

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

Earlier today I encountered the strangest opponent ever.  
    I might as well start out by saying, that I merely consider myself as an average SSF4 player.

I joined a one-on-one endless match and encountered an opponent that consistently: 

• picks Cammy
    • Starts each round with a "spiral arrow"
    • follows up with another "spiral arrow"
    • and then executes a "cannon spike"
    • repeat

And that's pretty much it. 
    He did change up the amount of "spiral arrow" 's before he did the "cannon spike" but that's about it. 
    He also executed a super as soon as it was available... apparently regardless of the distance to my character. 

I join this game and discover it is set to 1 round after I win the first round (I never check this beforehand), and win the first 7 rounds with my main (also Cammy) before deciding to change it up and pick another character (Juri). 

What baffles me is that he at no point changes his strategy. He is apparently unaffected by fact that I know he starts with an "spiral arrow" and that he always get countered. 

Regardless...
    I began losing to his strategy after changing it up with another character. 
    And I started losing several times...
    I don't actually know why, because I pretty much figured our his pattern. 

I somehow blame myself for perhaps over-thinking it, and expect him to change his game up at some point... or something to that affect. 

But I eventually figured out that his repeated pattern actually does quite big amount of chip-damage, and I took a lot of damage while blocking and planning a counter. Thus when I figured that out and started to avoid his attack instead of blocking it, the game started to turn around to my favor again. At which point he quit the match after beginning losing a couple of times again. 

Ultimately I'm somewhat baffled by this encounter, because he seriously didn't change his game up at any point. 
    Also he had 2000+ BP's! 
    Can he really have won that many ranked matches using only that strategy? 
    Some part of me makes me think that he probably was just testing out the effectiveness of that tactic. 

I actually feel I personally got something out of this match. Mostly in basic insight of what takes priority over "spiral arrow". 
    I'm already aware that I'm not that good at "punishing". If I were, I don't figure the chip-damage I received would have been that much of a problem. 

When I started losing to such a obvious pattern I differently wasn't going to be the one to quit. 
    Obviously I NEEDED to figure out to turn it around to at least feel somewhat good about myself.
    Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#2  Edited By Buttenator

Sounds like he learned how to play from the AI. 2000 BP isn't much though, I'm sure he could've gotten away with a bunch of 1-round wins against trash players.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Chip damage really shouldn't be that big of an issue when you're not down on your health that much.  Try to learn to evade specials and not simply block them. 

Also, 2000 BP really isn't that much.  When BP actually demonstrates a presence of skill is when someone has about 6000-7000 BP, and even then it might just be because the person plays a whole lot.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Plasma

BP shows nothing about skill as you can only gain it, not lose it. So by playing alot you'll eventually win. 

Also, blocked spiral arrow is negative a million on block, puuunniissshhh that shit.

Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#5  Edited By Buttenator
    @Plasma: You can lose BP, and spiral arrow is safe if you space it correctly.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AniMoney
    @Plasma said:
    " BP shows nothing about skill as you can only gain it, not lose it. So by playing alot you'll eventually win.  Also, blocked spiral arrow is negative a million on block, puuunniissshhh that shit. "
    it's a little bit safer in this game than the last I believe. Don't quote me on that though. 

Still an easy punish though.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By 234r2we232

Also, another reason why BP and such shouldn't be taken seriously, is that people fucking boost with their friends. Ranked matches should be anonymous to avoid that kind of cheating.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By august

Sounds like bot behavior.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @sofacitysweetheart: Damn straight. I was trying out my Akuma online (which is damn mediocre) and I fought a 'gief with near 8 or 9k BP (though he had like 1500 PP, which explains something) and all he did was lariat into Green hand (sometimes EX), which I just kept punishing with sweeps and some bnb combos.  

Dude picked Ken, and did the same thing with Shoryukens across the stage. I wanted to break my controller over this kind of stupidity.  

Endless Matches for the win. 
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Plasma
    @Buttenator said:
    " @Plasma: You can lose BP, and spiral arrow is safe if you space it correctly. "
    ahh ok sorry, thought that BP was constant. But blocked spiral arrow is not safe, if you doing if that far away that it would be safe, so easy to counter.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Flushes

PP is the one you can lose 100+ of for a loss vs a lower ranked opponent. People with like... 3000-5000 PP are usually pretty competent. BP is just a character-specific grind-o-meter. For instance, I have 11,000 BP and still lose to every Rufus ever ever ever.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MMkain

Spiral Arrow is completely safe when executed at the correct distance. Assuming he knew this, then you would not be able to punish his Spiral Arrows. Cannon Spike also has invulnerability, so it will punish almost anything when executed after a safe Spiral Arrow. That said, he likely did not know that you could make Spiral Arrow safe and was merely spamming it because you didn't know wtf to do.

nikotinexero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By nikotinexero

Even PP is not a good measure of quality of a fighter, Ive gotten as high as 2500-3000 as my Rog, but when I try to play around with Honda/Fei Long/Rose for fun, my PP will get destroyed in 5 or so loses.  Only way to measure a fighter is to fight him

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By skrutop

I have like 3,000 with Adon and suck out loud,.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart: Damn straight. I was trying out my Akuma online (which is damn mediocre) and I fought a 'gief with near 8 or 9k BP (though he had like 1500 PP, which explains something) and all he did was lariat into Green hand (sometimes EX), which I just kept punishing with sweeps and some bnb combos.   Dude picked Ken, and did the same thing with Shoryukens across the stage. I wanted to break my controller over this kind of stupidity.   Endless Matches for the win.  "
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " Also, another reason why BP and such shouldn't be taken seriously, is that people fucking boost with their friends. Ranked matches should be anonymous to avoid that kind of cheating. "
    ...I'm pretty certain that Ranked Matches can only be anonymous.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 234r2we232
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart: Damn straight. I was trying out my Akuma online (which is damn mediocre) and I fought a 'gief with near 8 or 9k BP (though he had like 1500 PP, which explains something) and all he did was lariat into Green hand (sometimes EX), which I just kept punishing with sweeps and some bnb combos.   Dude picked Ken, and did the same thing with Shoryukens across the stage. I wanted to break my controller over this kind of stupidity.   Endless Matches for the win.  "
    " Also, another reason why BP and such shouldn't be taken seriously, is that people fucking boost with their friends. Ranked matches should be anonymous to avoid that kind of cheating. "
    ...I'm pretty certain that Ranked Matches can only be anonymous. "
    Ahem. I'm pretty sure they're not. but thanks for the input?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    " Ahem. I'm pretty sure they're not. but thanks for the input? "
    I've not actively looked, but I've never seen the option to invite someone in a lobby for Ranked Matches.  Have you actually tried it?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Scooper
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    I've not actively looked, but I've never seen the option to invite someone in a lobby for Ranked Matches.  Have you actually tried it? "
    You can't invite someone but you can easily choose who's lobby to join if you go to custom match. So they're not open to invites but they're not anonymous for sure.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Illmatic
    @SirOptimusPrime said:

"    Dude picked Ken, and did the same thing with Shoryukens across the stage.  "

I never saw this tactic until Super came out. It was pretty hilarious first time it happened but it was also a little disheartening to see that his BP was so unbelievably high. I like to think my victory was for everyone who was new to the game and unable to fight back against it.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Scooper said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    I've not actively looked, but I've never seen the option to invite someone in a lobby for Ranked Matches.  Have you actually tried it? "
    You can't invite someone but you can easily choose who's lobby to join if you go to custom match. So they're not open to invites but they're not anonymous for sure. "
    What this guy said. I never implied you could invite people, just that the matches weren't anonymous so people could control who they fight/don't wanna fight. It's kinda messed up. But with that said, people, quite simply, shouldn't be doing it.
    MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MarceloAbans
    @EvilDingo: Practice practice practice. Read fram data on cammy. Her Spiral Arrow if he uses it at the start, is highly unsafe. Grab or go to your punish combo. Also a commona mistake a lot of players make is, unless it's a link combo, once you block a move like a 2 hit spiral arrow, you can immediately return the joystick/gamepad to it's neutral position. This gives your a variety of options because you can go from anywhere from equal distance. Best advice I can give as a cody player is, get into the lab (Training Mode) and go down the list of commonly used specials and learn how to punish each one. It will make you a flow chart at 1st but then you really start to learn distances, when to punish, etc. Then go back online or some decent playing friends and practice on a human. You'd be surprised. I've lost tons of times because I may have discovered a new poke or something. I went on a 25 game losing streak a boxer player friend of mine because i need to learn to react to his dash punches so I could stop and punish them with just a simple c.lk into CU. That alone opened tons of doors in my poking game and it's fun to see players just be dumbfounded when you punish them.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just on the mention of chip damage and totlly unrelated to the post: check it out on Blanka's ground version of U2. 

Pessh and I were playing a week or so back and it hit a stale-mate. He had a small chunk of health left and I a sliver - nobody moved. So I just humped out the ultra and it actually took him out. Obviously it was fucking daft (jumping would probably have saved him) but its still an interesting little bit of knowledge to have and it did in the region (or looked to have) of about 100 or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.