Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Fighting without specials, which character is best?

MAguilera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By MAguilera

In an attempt to get better I'm trying to play arcade mode without specials.  I'm a Ryu player, and I haven't really played much SF since Turbo II.  When I picked up my SF4 I realized my whole game was basically spamming Hadokens and DPing people that jump in.   I don't have a good poking game, I seem to only be able to close by jumping, and don't string things well.   I figured by trying to play without specials it will improve my overall game.  I think it is working out for now. 

Anyway, the question is who is the best character to play if you are going to try to win without using specials/supers?

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Jeez that's gonna be hard to do man. I'd figure the fighters with hard hits would work out the best. Zangief, T. Hawk, maybe even Hakan if you don't count his oil shower as a special.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gosukiller

Guile and Chun have godlike normals and pokes. Most charge characters do pretty well without their specials.

reruns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By reruns

Dhalsim, Ryu, Chun Li, Balrog, Guile, and E. Honda all have a fairly complete footsies game and should be able to get by without specials

Akuma, Bison, Fei Long, Sagat, Vega, Zangief, and I think Rose are probably going to want specials a little more, but they all have good ways of controlling space without them.

MAguilera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAguilera
    @UnsavedHero: It actually hasn't been that bad.  I'm only playing on medium have while I can't win without continuing it goes pretty well.  I'm forced to really pay attention to when people whiff, what moves have priority and how to find spaces to put in a string.   

the killer pokes and normals were what I was looking for.  Also the ability to string things well/easily.  I'm not great at Ryu's normal strings.  I feel like they are almost always 1 hit then hadoken. I also find that I am throwing more.
    TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheUnsavedHero
    @MAguilera: More power to ya and hope you get to where you want. I've never been too good at combos so Hakan works good for me.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gosukiller
    @MAguilera said:

" @UnsavedHero: It actually hasn't been that bad.  I'm only playing on medium have while I can't win without continuing it goes pretty well.  I'm forced to really pay attention to when people whiff, what moves have priority and how to find spaces to put in a string.    the killer pokes and normals were what I was looking for.  Also the ability to string things well/easily.  I'm not great at Ryu's normal strings.  I feel like they are almost always 1 hit then hadoken. I also find that I am throwing more. "

As a Ryu player one of the most fundamental things to learn is to poke with cr.mk and combo it into an hadoken. This needs to be second nature to you. It works both as a combo and as a blockstring. Also make use of your cr.mp, it's a great normal that combos into CR.HK (aka sweep). 

If you are not too familiar with combos yet, try to get down Cr.Jab > Cr.Jab > medium SRK. Getting the timing down on that worked wonders for me. Comboing into something like cr.lp cr.lp cr.hp > etc etc should be something you ought to try later.

Just keep pressure with hadokens, but don't be too predictable. Force people to jump/dash toward you and punish accordingly.

You have great anti-air options besides SRK, such as standing LK and cr.HP. Even standing HK can do the job if you space it correctly.
    MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MarceloAbans

I'd submit Cody and sim.. Cody maybe has some of the best normals in the game with nice long block strings and plenty of combos that can have knock down sweep endings. 

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By AndrewJD

I'd say Chun, Sim or Guile but their game still centres around their fireball. Maybe Bison? You can just standing HK all day and win with him. 

Alternatively you could always try someone with bad normals/pokes and if you can win with them then your set :)

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @MAguilera said:
    " In an attempt to get better I'm trying to play arcade mode without specials.  I'm a Ryu player, and I haven't really played much SF since Turbo II.  When I picked up my SF4 I realized my whole game was basically spamming Hadokens and DPing people that jump in.   I don't have a good poking game, I seem to only be able to close by jumping, and don't string things well.   I figured by trying to play without specials it will improve my overall game.  I think it is working out for now.  Anyway, the question is who is the best character to play if you are going to try to win without using specials/supers? "
    Chun has the best pokes in the game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gosukiller said:
    "cr.mk and combo it into an hadoken."  

I was playing for the first time in a while the other night, and a Ryuk player (I think) kept hit confirming into fb, but it wasn't comboing and I caught him with ultra at least 3 times. Not specifically related to what you mentioned, but I wonder if it isn't spaced correctly whether its doable in that senario too.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai

Chun or Guile

Bagga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bagga

Sagat

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scooper

Deejay

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

My playing is pretty bad. I get too tense and forget about specials, when it's like a main part of the game -_- But I use Guile and DeeJay a lot and their moves are really good. Guile's forward+LB punch has so much range, and he has a nice step in kick with forward+RT. Play around with him and get to know his moves and when to use them and he's really good at confusing others because of it.

reruns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By reruns
    @GetEveryone said:

I was playing for the first time in a while the other night, and a Ryuk player (I think) kept hit confirming into fb, but it wasn't comboing and I caught him with ultra at least 3 times. Not specifically related to what you mentioned, but I wonder if it isn't spaced correctly whether its doable in that senario too. "

I'm not sure if there are spacings where it doesn't combo (I'll test it later), but low forward into Hadouken is not a true blockstring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reruns said:

1. "I'm not sure if there are spacings where it doesn't combo" 

2."low forward into Hadouken is not a true blockstring. " 

I think you already answered 1 with 2, mate.
    reruns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By reruns
    @GetEveryone: Combo meaning on hit. It's entirely possible that it works 100% of the time as a combo even though it isn't a blockstring.

That's actually true of many characters' BnB, which is why it's generally an awful idea to do your hitconfirm combos on a blocking opponent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reruns: Arite, yeah very true. If you don't cr.lk x2 in a blockstring, though, I think it'll generally combo (not necessarily including the special at the end). 

But yeah, I went and played about in training and there do seem to be distances where cr.mk > fb doesn't actually combo, so its quite useful knowing when exactly you can stick in a reversal/ultra etc.
    MAguilera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MAguilera

So it sounds like Guile/Chun is the best choice.  I guess I will give them a shot next.  I've never been great at charge characters, but it's better than grapplers in my opinion.   

As for cr. mk->Hadoken:  I thought that if you were at the edge of the cr.mk range it wasn't an auto-combo.  I've been throwing slow Hadokens at that range to try to catch people moving after the reflex block.  Maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.