Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

First Time Fighting Game Player

ashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ashbash

So I have pretty much never played a fighting game in my life. I didn't grow up in any arcades during the '90s and the only game I bought which was a fighting game was Mortal Kombat 3 on the PlayStation. I think it was not a very good game and only played it when I didn't know the different between games that are good or bad. I was never good at it and didn't play it much.

So today I decided to preorder Super Street Fighter IV which comes out tomorrow in the UK. After all it was only £25 and for a game that got 5 stars on Giant Bomb I though this much be a fantastic game that I'm probably going to miss if I don't buy it now.

So, since this is my first serious time with a fighting game, can you give me any tips, guides and advice I need in order to firstly know how to play the actual game (all I know is that you wiggle a stick and press lots of buttons) and then be able to compete with people and play with friends.

Edit: Thank you mods for fixing my thread!

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Supermarius
    @ashbash159:  The big thing i would recommend is to find a buddy to play with who is starting out like you. Don't worry about training or getting competitive right away. The thing you need to do at this point is to find someone at the same skill level to play friendly matches with. Fighting games are a ton of fun, even for new players, when opponents are equally matched. Even a really great fighting game will feel terrible if the first thing you do is go out and get stomped by savage internet competitors. Once you have some matches against a friendly equal you will start to feel that fighting game "zone", where you and your friend are trading back and forth in a fast paced dance of speed and tactics. That will cement fighting games as "fun" for you, as opposed to what happened with mk3.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Just concentrate on having fun at first, play around with all of the characters and get used to the overall feel of the game. You should then choose to settle using either Ken or Ryu, doing so will help you grow accustomed to the nature of the special moves, combos and timing the game has, a lot quicker than otherwise.  

Play friends often and get competitive about it, it'll force you to improve your game.

You should join Shoryuken.com and Capcom Unity

ashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ashbash
    @Linkyshinks: That Capcom Unity link is the same as the Shoryuken link. FIX!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Done.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I'd suggest watching my tutorial videos sticky post, and playing with some friends who are also new to Street Fighter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.