Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

the allure of Street fighter

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JudahJones
    G et one of these if you can afford it

Out of my videogame social circle, I've always been the fighting game nut. Not fanatic, but I've always loved a good brawler, probably because I'm not the most physically intimidating person myself. Anyway.,  I've wondered why I'm able to still wiling to hop into Super Street fighter 4 online yet tire/get frustrated  quickly by other online modes of games..   

First, , I figured that since i enjoyed the genre and had a jobby-job which provided a disposable income, I would break fom tradition and switch from a pad to an arcade stick. mind you I had very little hands on experience playing fighteres in the arcades with sticks, so it was a big change. I figured i could use the window between Super Street fighter 4 and marvel vs Capcom 3's release to practice.  I'm certainly not an elitetist  who looks down upon anyone who still plays on a pad (i still play MvC3 with a pad). But there's no denying a sticks  two key advantages. The first is that it eliminates the 'fighting game thumb', so its more comfortable to play. But it also elimates 1P bias, meaning only being able to consistently do a dragon punch motion or other tricky motion inputs to the right. Being able to to do compliacated motions in both directions really opens up your strategy  play book and allows you to truly take advantage of your fighters  abilities.

Second, I started going to eventhubs.com and iplaywinner.com to look at their character guides. Now they are far from the only fighting game sites with guides, but i feel their content is the most beginner friendly, without pre-requisite knowledge of fighting game jargon like frame advantage and option selects. also they do a good job of highlighting and explaining the concepts of overhead attacks and EX moves, which are necessary to get beginners to stick around longer than the first couple of inevitable defeats from veterans. Things like knowing which attacks  circumvent crouching-blocking  to overcome turtling players and also knowing the ex properties of a special move allowing you to absorb fireballs or have a high priority wake up attack is paramount. So i started going through the sites and reading what players -Not instruction manuals -  used and it  was an immeasurable help. And thats when the true depth of Street figter and hence the allure come from. Thre is no guaranteed win character (though there are defintely some  tough match ups) each character is a swiss army knife of options, and know the properties of each move lets you know what to use in whch situation. And the beauty is that there is no right answer:  Whether you're a rushdown character, or a grappler, or someone with movement mechanic like Fuerte or Guy, the possibilities are literally endless and arguably effective. 

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, a bombshell: there were people playing online who sucked just like me! it wasn't all daigo's and other tournament finger wizards. Well they were but fortunately Capcom tweaked their matchmaking so for the most part you tended to get matched with people your own skill level. So it wasn't too long before I was winnng some fights. And so will you!
    JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JudahJones

Out of my videogame social circle, I've always been the fighting game nut. Not fanatic, but I've always loved a good brawler, probably because I'm not the most physically intimidating person myself. Anyway.,  I've wondered why I'm able to still wiling to hop into Super Street fighter 4 online yet tire/get frustrated  quickly by other online modes of games..   

First, , I figured that since i enjoyed the genre and had a jobby-job which provided a disposable income, I would break fom tradition and switch from a pad to an arcade stick. mind you I had very little hands on experience playing fighteres in the arcades with sticks, so it was a big change. I figured i could use the window between Super Street fighter 4 and marvel vs Capcom 3's release to practice.  I'm certainly not an elitetist  who looks down upon anyone who still plays on a pad (i still play MvC3 with a pad). But there's no denying a sticks  two key advantages. The first is that it eliminates the 'fighting game thumb', so its more comfortable to play. But it also elimates 1P bias, meaning only being able to consistently do a dragon punch motion or other tricky motion inputs to the right. Being able to to do compliacated motions in both directions really opens up your strategy  play book and allows you to truly take advantage of your fighters  abilities.

Second, I started going to eventhubs.com and iplaywinner.com to look at their character guides. Now they are far from the only fighting game sites with guides, but i feel their content is the most beginner friendly, without pre-requisite knowledge of fighting game jargon like frame advantage and option selects. also they do a good job of highlighting and explaining the concepts of overhead attacks and EX moves, which are necessary to get beginners to stick around longer than the first couple of inevitable defeats from veterans. Things like knowing which attacks  circumvent crouching-blocking  to overcome turtling players and also knowing the ex properties of a special move allowing you to absorb fireballs or have a high priority wake up attack is paramount. So i started going through the sites and reading what players -Not instruction manuals -  used and it  was an immeasurable help. And thats when the true depth of Street figter and hence the allure come from. Thre is no guaranteed win character (though there are defintely some  tough match ups) each character is a swiss army knife of options, and know the properties of each move lets you know what to use in whch situation. And the beauty is that there is no right answer:  Whether you're a rushdown character, or a grappler, or someone with movement mechanic like Fuerte or Guy, the possibilities are literally endless and arguably effective. 

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, a bombshell: there were people playing online who sucked just like me! it wasn't all daigo's and other tournament finger wizards. Well they were but fortunately Capcom tweaked their matchmaking so for the most part you tended to get matched with people your own skill level. So it wasn't too long before I was winnng some fights. And so will you!
    Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Xcessive

I agree, fighting games are amazing. However, i think that you need to be a certain type of person to really get into them. Someone that finds it hard to take a loss, wants to humiliate their opponent, has an appreciation for the mind games involved or just likes doing sick combos (myself for the most part). It all starts with a fireball, if your not careful you'll soon be learning every character inside and out, be tuning into every stream and checking eventhubs 6 times a day. It's all worth it though. Trust.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By countinhallways

My growing love for fighting games has significantly decreased the amount of time I spend in playing any single player games. Nothing can compare to the "always on" nature of a best of 3 bout. Constant tension, adrenaline and concentration. You cannot let up for even a second, but the payoff is all the more enjoyable because of all that. I kind of wish I was playing right now...

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By jkuc316

I have a $25 Arcade Stick, It's usually expensive if it's an expensive brand.

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JudahJones
    @Xcessive

You are 100% correct, it very much does take the right personality type. Not only do you have to be competitive to want to keep playing but also pretty disciplined to keep trying again after you lose (which you will). And certain games make it easier to come back to. I love the Marvel vs capcom series, but am having a really hard time staying motivated to keep playing MvC3 online because the fighting system essentially rewards exploiting  cheap ground bounce reset combos, not to mention the frenetic pace leaves the  margin of error execution very slim. I understand that comes with the territory of it but it makes me realize how much I prefer the slower, mental Street fighter 4 approach. Still going to get ultimate when it drops though, hopefully the balancing will alleviate some of that, and the newer characters seems more strategic than rushdown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.