Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken 6

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 26, 2007

The sixth main installment of the Tekken series brings improved graphics and animation, new characters, and new gameplay mechanics (including destructible stages).

Help convert a VF player! Need something explained...

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TranceQuina

Okay, so since it's starting to look like America may have received its last Virtua Fighter game, it might be time for me to move on to the 3D fighter with the strong, reliable community. There are things I dig about Tekken, and it seems like a fun franchise to dive into.

But before I do, I need to feel better about something first. So I have a question:

What exactly keeps the insane juggling from completely breaking the game? From the outside looking in, Tekken is almost indistinguishable from Killer Instinct, and victory seems almost entirely tied to "who will be the first to land a launch and punch out a ridiculous combo."

Am I just watching too many world-class pros play this game, does casual play really come down to this kind of "juggle-off," or am I missing something? Are launchers impractically risky attacks or something?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By TechHits
    @TranceQuina: Those Combos are situation and require a high level of execution. plus the game has damage scaling so the long juggles are mostly used for wall carries. 
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bearshamanbro

@TranceQuina: TechHits pretty much nailed it. The thing that balances juggles is that they are available to both sides and one juggle doesn't end the round. You can eat a big juggle and still pull the round off. The one thing that can make them look bigger than they are is the wake-up game in Tekken. This is a big part of Tekken and if you guess wrong getting up, you'll probably get another smaller combo started on you again and then you restart the whole wakeup guessing game. Starting out against good players, it's hard to get back up after getting knocked down. Also most launchers are hard to connect with against skilled players. Tekken, though, is a high damage game so it can easily come down to 2 or 3 mistakes costing you the round. I came from VF as well, and I really like that game better but unfortunately Sega doesn't seem to care. The biggest difference to me is that Tekken is much more of a poking game and the grappling isn't as effective.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.