Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

A curious + serious question in regards to Elder Scrolls/Skyrim.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

So, I consider myself a person who enjoyes a new series. When I say 'new series', I mean that as in a series that I play for the first time.

There's been a lot of buzz about Skyrim, and honestly, beside the medieval setting and sword-like combat, I'm not entire sure what else is part of the series that makes it a draw for fans. I say this not as, "I don't understand the appeal of the series, " but more as, "I am completely uninformed as to where the enjoyment comes from and what details exist about the game."

So, leveling up stats, using a bunch of different weapons, loot, a cool atmosphere, and that's really all I know when it comes to Elder Scrolls. I'd like to get into this, but I don't know too much of the mechanics of the game and what people enjoy.

Mind spending a few minutes telling me why you enjoy the Elder Scrolls series and what Skyrim means to you? I'm interested in this series, so I figured there's no better way than to talk to fans.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SamStrife

The Elder Scrolls games more than any other can draw you into their world and keep you there for a very long time. There's a depth not only to the gameplay but to the lore and mecahnicas that surround it, making the games feel like something else. It's very, very easy to pump hundreds of hours into the games and still not see everything they have to offer.

Whilst the gameplay isn't the worlds finest, the world Bethesda craft more than makes up for that tenfold.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

What SamStrife said, but he forgot to mention the absurd amount of quests based on the hundreds of stories and myths and fables (as well as relationships between people) in the world of The Elder Scrolls. 

Seriously, you'll find yourself doing anything you can possibly imagine. Looking for ancient treasure, spying on people for a paranoid person, fishing for an old man, jumping into a painting to save a person from the painted trolls, etc... 

That's probably what blew my mind the most in Oblivion. Sure, I enjoyed the massive landscape and the loot and character management and whatnot, but I was just blown away by the amount and diversity of the quests, it's unreal.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By haggis

Exploration and freedom. It's basically a big fantasy sandbox that let's you do what you want, how you want it. And as a side note, there's a main quest.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@SamStrife said:

The Elder Scrolls games more than any other can draw you into their world and keep you there for a very long time. There's a depth not only to the gameplay but to the lore and mecahnicas that surround it, making the games feel like something else. It's very, very easy to pump hundreds of hours into the games and still not see everything they have to offer.

Whilst the gameplay isn't the worlds finest, the world Bethesda craft more than makes up for that tenfold.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

Your main character doesn't talk, do they? Are there customization options beyond customizing/outfitting armor?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fetchfox

I'm in the same boat as you @Napalm. I saw most of the stream, and it seemed real interesting, but I just don't know.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

@fetchfox: I actually only turned on the stream a few times for a few minutes. I'm just interested in what the series offers.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude

@Napalm:

I've only played some of Morrowind, tons of Oblivion and some hours in Skyrim, but what's really good about the game to me is the amount of freedom it gives you in basically everything. It doesn't hold your hands and you can do whatever you want. It's a game that blends stealth, combat and magic perfectly and rewards players with unique questlines and items in each that will handcraft your own experience through use. It's not the game that chain you to one class and one path like many other RPG's these days. Basically you gain skill when using the skill, and when you level up you choose a perk in a category that suits you and your playstyle.

And to answer your questions: The game offers full customization (race (10 of them), sex, etc). There's no voice for your character, but everyone else has. Though your character will of course grunt and breathe when running to long, being under water, and in combat.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

@FritzDude: Nice! I like the way that sounds. I've just never been a huge fan of medieval settings, which is sort of, one of the bigger things that's I'm questioning.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

Honestly, it's hard to break down TES games into their parts and say, "This is where the enjoyment lies." Bethesda just puts a ton of different options on how to play in this giant world with so much depth, so much to explore, that if you sit down and try it you'll find that you just spent 6 hours in the world and you don't feel like you want to stop.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

How is the combat? I'm not a huge fan of crappy combat that has no punch to it. Not insinuating that's what it is, but I like some punch to combat scenarios.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

To me it's about getting really immersed in a fantasy world, one that I personally find to be quite unique. I dislike most fantasy in general, I'm really a sci-fi guy. But something about the lore of Elder Scrolls just sucks me in. It's quite deep. It's also the exploration, roaming the landscape, finding cool dungeons, coming across quests and generally having an adventure. I think it does a lot of the things Fable aims for with a little more fidelity, but not quite as smoothly. It basically puts you in the shoes of a guy in a fantasy world and lets you loose to do whatever you want, good or evil.

Immersion is key in the game, no other game could get me to stay up till 5am playing on launch night.

@Napalm said:

How is the combat? I'm not a huge fan of crappy combat that has no punch to it. Not insinuating that's what it is, but I like some punch to combat scenarios.

Combat isn't the game's focus or strong point. It IS a stats based RPG, so you'll have moments where it looks like you should connect, but your stats say otherwise. But Skyrim's is vastly improved over the previous entries and feels a little more visceral and satisfying in a way I never found in Morrowind or Oblivion.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By themangalist
    @Napalm: Only Oblivion was set in a generic medieval land. Skyrim in Vikingland with Romans, and Morrowind is just unworldly (amazing).
    Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sbaitso

The combat in this one is the best it's ever been. It feels pretty tight, has an impact to it the previous games lacked. The are alot of different ways to fight too(two handed, one handed and shield, one handed and magic, archers, dual wielding, or even dual magic).

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45

@Napalm said:

I've found the Magic combat to be pretty decent. The archery is okay, but it doesn't really compare to other games that have better combat. I really dislike the melee. Although, that said, sword+spell is pretty fun.

What I'm trying to say is the combat isn't the best, it's kind of awkward, but it's not too bad. Way better than Oblivion, although you haven't played that. It's not a game I'd pick up if you just wanna kill shit, but, it's good enough that it doesn't sink the game (which it did in Oblivion, for me)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

Hm, okay. I'm willing to give Skyrim a shot. Hopefully it goes better than Final Fantasy XIII!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

The first (and only) games that I've played in the series are Oblivion and some weird cell phone game. I'm actually waiting for my copy of Skyrim to show up at my doorstep. I didn't know much about the series, I ran to a store and bought Oblivion after seeing a friend club the crap out of a few people. I ended up spending hours of my time in that game. I love fantasy, and I think that Oblivion was the game that piqued my interested in the genre even more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.