Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

All the npc's in Riverwood are suddenly hostile

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Wasara88

Yeah so like the title says, i was coming back from the claw thingy quest and ran into this weird looking old lady in the woods....long story short, she got pissed because i went to her cellar and i killed the hag and i'm assuming it's that that makes the villagers wanting to murder me.

So is there something i can do about the hostility or can someone confirm that it was the old lady that pissed them in the first place.

And i don't have a save near there so i can't undo what i have done.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Have you tired waiting 3 days at some far away location and comming back? That sometimes works in the fallout games. Also save regularly, and keep at least 10 saves.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JP_Russell

I would guess that's it, yeah. Kind of ridiculous that the townspeople actually try to kill you, as opposed to just having a bounty that makes guards come after you.

No surprise Bethesda didn't really do anything about the psychic nature of the AI in their games. A lot of people were anticipating that they would, but I knew better.

Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Revolver

I thought you killed the one chicken they had like that other dude

but its pretty much the same

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wasara88

@Starfishhunter9: need to try that,because if that doesn't work i'm screwed. I have like 6 saves,but i did some exploring before returning to town and forgot the whole incident and assumed because she was "evil" people would not freakout.

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By championfetus

You broke into an old lady's cellar and then killed her! I would think they wouldn't want you around haha.

TheEvilCory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheEvilCory

Was it the witch's cellar in the middle of the woods that had an enchanting table and alchemy equipment? If so, that's not why they're angry. I had to kill her too, and the villagers weren't mad at me. You probably killed a chicken bro.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wasara88

Yeah it was the witch. I got it solved by waiting for a while in the woods before entering the city.

I don't get what made them angry. All was fine, then i went exploring and when i came back they just wanted to outright murder me.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By endless_void

A similar event occurred to me as well. You simply have to find a guard of whiterun and a chat dialog will pop up, choose to either pay the bounty or serve the jail time. Usually serving the jail time is the better route to go for early in the game, as money can pay for training, a home, mercenaries, etc.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NickL

@Revolver said:

I thought you killed the one chicken they had like that other dude

but its pretty much the same

I killed that chicken and got a 40 bounty then the bounty immediately went away saying something like "The last witness has been taken care of" without me even doing anything. Was very confusing to be happening in the first 30 minutes of playing the game lol.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

There is only one option, YOU MUST KILL THEM!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By intro

Reminds me of Fallout 3 where you find the town with the old man telling you to leave because everyone's crazy. If you go into this barn and see these dead bodies, it triggers the NPC's to come after you.

When you leave the barn the town is standing outside ready to kill you lol.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RsistncE

Boo, I would have thought they would have solved the "citizens are all telepathically linked so that even if they don't witness the crime they still know of it" problem with Oblivion. Oh well, looks like I'll just have to slaughter entire villages.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wasara88

@endless_void: that's just it. I didn't commit a crime, i had no bounty at the time when they tried to kill me.

And if i had a bounty on my head i don't think that just waiting for a couple of days outside the city would have done me much good.

I'm gonna chalk that up to the ever growing "bugs i have found in Skyrim" list.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By project343

Did you kill a chicken and/or other farm animal? They will murder you for that.

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MidgardDragon

Seriously, I've been telling everybody, DON'T KILL CHICKENS. The chickens in Skyrim are worse than the cucoos in Zelda games. They don't come after you, they get their minions (the humans) to come after you, and they NEVER RELENT.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

@JP_Russell said:

I would guess that's it, yeah. Kind of ridiculous that the townspeople actually try to kill you, as opposed to just having a bounty that makes guards come after you.

No surprise Bethesda didn't really do anything about the psychic nature of the AI in their games. A lot of people were anticipating that they would, but I knew better.

Hopefully there's a No Psychic Guards mod for Skyrim, for all NPCs.

louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By louis0nfire

I killed a chicken in Riverwood outside the shop and I had no issues.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SSully

Try coming back from a long quest to whiterun and not realizing you are a level 4 vampire. The entire fucking city began to chase me, it was ludicrous

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.