Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Can I start playing Skyrim now? (PS3)

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

So I have a copy of Skyrim for the PS3 just sitting around... is it safe to play it, or will I just get frustrated?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

Did you finish your homework? Do your chores?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By strainedeyes

It takes at least 60 hours before the framerate issues start to kick in, even then it isn't a constant issue. I have put 90+ hours into my PS3 save with minimal issues (3 lock ups, late game framerate issues during longer sessions). The majority of the time has been perfectly fine.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Yeah, just turn off the autosave function and it'll make frame rate and load times a lot better when traveling between places.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

Most of the major issues are still there, but some things have been ironed out.

AutomaticOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AutomaticOwl

I'm about 60 hours in and I haven't had the game-crippling, life-destroying issues that the PS3 seems to be catching so much hate for. ... ... Or maybe I'm just used to the janky. Either way, it's not so bad that you shouldn't be playing at all.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Gabriel

13 MB and 110 hours in it's kinda bad, gets really bad in open worlds and less in dungeons.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ftomato

If you're in no rush, there will be another frame rate patch at some point, but the current version is just fine.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Wraxend

I'm at 136hrs and 11mb and parts of the game are unplayable now. I'm trying to do a mission with the stormcloaks vs imperials and it is impossible the lag is so bad I'm just shocked that Sonys QA never picked up on this its a bloody disgrace!

TheLastOtaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheLastOtaku

I've done about 130+ hours and I still have yet to have problems besides a handful of lockups. The only time the framerate ever got iffy for me were the fights for the forts where there were so many people on screen.

Squagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Squagmire

I've been playing non-stop since it came out on the PS3. No major issues.

You might as well try, and if it's too bad for you, just wait.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I noticed when starting new characters that the save files aren't growing nearly as fast as they were on my first character.  You're probably relatively safe to play, but you'll still have to deal with the general Bethesda-ness of the game.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strainedeyes

@Wraxend said:

I'm at 136hrs and 11mb and parts of the game are unplayable now. I'm trying to do a mission with the stormcloaks vs imperials and it is impossible the lag is so bad I'm just shocked that Sonys QA never picked up on this its a bloody disgrace!

I think it's more likely that QA found it but the issue was waived by the devs in favor of getting the game out. It doesn't really cause the game to crash and takes 60+ hours to even start happening, that sounds like an easily waived bug to me. Especially since it's a known issue with all Bethesda games on PS3.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Blueman

I bought it yesterday and after 10 hours i haven't experienced any technical difficulties.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By mikey87144

They should have a fix out mid-month so you should be fine till then.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Master_Funk

over 100 hours in , and no major framerate problems at all.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By overnow

About 87 hours in, I do have some problems but they are not very frequent. The only time that I have found it unbearable is when I'm doing the missions for the Imperials where I storm castles with large groups of stormcloaks (and I have a ton of backup). During those missions I can barely move.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm around 110 hours in with an 11MB save file, haven't had any issues other than occasional self-fixing lockups (the game sometimes locks up at loading screens, but resumes when it starts playing the next song, can take a few minutes if it was just at the beginning of the previous song though) after the last patch that fixed the magic resistance stuff. I even have the autosaves on without any problems.

kimchibomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By kimchibomb

I'm about 120 hours in and can't progress through the story due to a glitch in the Stormcloak storyline. I'm pro-Stormcloak in the game so I don't know if there's a similar issue w/ the Imperial storyline.

The frame-rate isn't much of an issue after turning off the auto-save feature, but it starts to choke after playing in one sitting for a few hours.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By kmg90

@Geo7877 said:

It takes at least 60 hours before the framerate issues start to kick in, even then it isn't a constant issue. I have put 90+ hours into my PS3 save with minimal issues (3 lock ups, late game framerate issues during longer sessions). The majority of the time has been perfectly fine.

YMMV for when the framerate issues start kicking in, for me it was around 40 hours, the hitching and 1-3 second freezes and overall average framerate started.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.