Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Curious for how many people this is a deal-breaker on the console remaster?

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Curious how many people were interested, until they realised their old saves won't be supported?

Seems like a problem to me for a game many sank 80-plus hours into.

Original story via Flickering Myth:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/07/skyrim-remastered-wont-support-game-save-transfers-on-consoles/

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wasn't interested before and still not interested. Skyrim is a great game but we have come a long way from 2011 when that game was the shit. I tried going back a few years ago on the PC with a bunch of mods and lots be after a few dozen hours (like that is a shot at the game that it took my 30 hours to lose interest).

I just don't have a desire to return to that game in particular. I put in my 100 hours back in the day on the PS3, and that was good enough for me.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt I'll buy this remaster but even if I did it would be to replay the game not to continue a save I have from 5 odd years ago. This seems like a great deal for people who have never played Skyrim but for people who played it extensively when it came out I'm not really seeing the point.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it matters much, with mods and the upgraded visuals I would assume console players will enjoy restarting as a new character just as much as the 10s of thousands of PC users do every day.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

With games as open as Skyrim, starting over really doesn't matter very much. I played through a bunch of quests as a male good mage, before I realized how terrible magic is at scaling towards end-game content. Did that ever get patched?

Anyway, I restarted as a female somewhat bad--enough to join the Dark Brotherhood, at least--archer, and played most of the major quests I missed the first time. Eventually, I hit a game ending bug in the Civil War quests, so I ended up putting the game down after well over 100 hours.

Never did play the DLC, though. For that reason alone, I'll likely pickup the remaster eventually. Mod support could be a strong incentive as well.

I highly recommend playing as a stealth archer, btw. It was way more enjoyable than my time as a mage, and fit nicely into my time with the thief's guild.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By paulmako

I absolutely did not expect there to be save transferring so no?

Not that I see myself picking it up anyway, but it's a good deal for people without PCs who missed it last time around.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never did play the DLC, though. For that reason alone, I'll likely pickup the remaster eventually. Mod support could be a strong incentive as well.

I hadn't considered this. Is the DLC all playable for a new character from the off, or does it require a certain recommended level?

I highly recommend playing as a stealth archer, btw. It was way more enjoyable than my time as a mage, and fit nicely into my time with the thief's guild.

Yeah, that's the way I did it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you're talking about saves not transferring over in the PC version then yeah that is pretty ridiculous but if you're telling me your PS3 save isn't going to be compatible with the PS4 remaster then I would ask "Who thought this was going to happen?"

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

PC, No reason for this

Console, why would anyone expect this?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

On consoles? I'm not even sure how they would do that. The saves would have to be exported from the original console, converted, then sent to the new console. Sounds like a lot of work.

Besides, the only reason I would go back to Skyrim at this point would to be try out a new build, maybe check out some of the newer mods.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: Both consoles support cloud saves so it really would just be a matter of reading the old saves in the cloud, and considering that Skyrim saves shouldn't change much in terms of data I don't see why it would be THAT hard, but I didn't expect them to do it either. Some games did do something similar at the start of the generation though (transferring between PS3 and PS4 and Xbox 360 and XBONE.)

Personally I don't know if I will get this version but the save issue isn't super important to me. Skyrim is structured pretty open ended so I could roll a new character and spend most of my time doing quests I hadn't completed yet. The main storyline is only like 7 hours on a critical path. The main disadvantages would be the loss of my collected dragonborn shouts and daedric artifacts and re-unlocking all the houses but whatever.

DLC (which I never played) unlocks around level 10 I think, which does not take long to get to.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By civid

I originally played it on PS3 so while I did enjoy my time with it (apart from Bethesdas abysmal writing) it became impossible to play it for more than 30-40 hours because of crashes, loadtimes and framerate issues. So yeah, I might go back to it at some point besides we probably won't have a new one of these before 2020.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Considering the saves are from the previous generation of consoles I don't see how this was ever gunna be likely. Not to mention I'm not sure why you'd even want to continue an old save in the remaster, since on that save you've probably done everything you were interested in if you actually liked the game enough to buy it a second time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been four (?) years since my last 70 hour save so even if it did transfer I would have zero context for where I am. That game is all about building atmospherics and slowly engrossing yourself in the environment where I'd have to start a new game with or without the option of cloud saves.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not sure why you would expect your save to carry over.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arjailer

Doesn't bother me at all - only reason I'd buy the remaster is to play it again from the start - not much point paying for the remaster just to wander around a world where all the quests were already complete.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To echo the sentiments of other people here, who expected this to be a thing on consoles?

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't have a desire to return to that game in particular. I put in my 100 hours back in the day on the PS3, and that was good enough for me.

The PS3 version of Skyrim was absolutely the worst way to experience the game with all the bugs and memory leaks that caused the game to become literally unplayable after a few hours of play. Bethesda received alot of flak (didn't they?) for such a terrible port job to the PS3. It was widely reported on every major video game website as well.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Neurogia

I doubt I'll be buying the remaster as well, since everyone who bought the original Skyrim on PC+all the DLC will be getting this special edition for free. Boo-yeah!!!

So, I don't mind that the save files aren't able to be transferred. Getting the game free is better.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A number of comments on here had me asking whether I was crazy to have even considered cross-save as a possibility. So I did a brief bit of Googling to check, and it seems this has definitely been achieved before.

To give a few examples and sources:

• Borderlands - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands:_The_Handsome_Collection
    • Dragon Age - https://www.dragonage.com/en_US/news/save-importer
    • Diablo III - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/15058023/pick-your-platform-keep-your-save-8-18-2014
    • Backwards compatible titles - http://kotaku.com/how-to-transfer-xbox-360-saves-to-xbox-one-1722241280

Granted I don't know if the latter even applies given straight emulation, but the others seem similar to what Bethesda is doing with the Skyrim remaster. I'm sure someone more technically minded will set me straight if I'm wrong.

Even so, the overwhelming response seems to be no-one would want to continue their old character, so perhaps nothing lost after all.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I get this, it'll be cause I'm really bored and want something to get use of my PS4. My old Skyrim save was 360 and pretty much did 99% of everything so I would restart anyway. I don't know if I am gonna pick it up though. Not really yearning to jump back into Skyrim.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@neurogia said:

@nightriff said:

The PS3 version of Skyrim was absolutely the worst way to experience the game with all the bugs and memory leaks that caused the game to become literally unplayable after a few hours of play. Bethesda received alot of flak (didn't they?) for such a terrible port job to the PS3. It was widely reported on every major video game website as well.

That's what people said and I only ever experienced one bug that broke the game around hour 100 when I was already loosing steam with the game. Everyone's experience was different, I was a lucky one I guess.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have like 2 or 3 different 70+ hour saves in this game on 2 platforms, and last time i loaded one up I just saw a giant map with icons and had no idea wtf was going on anymore lol. I don't know why anybody would think this would be a feature for a remastered version on a brand new platform

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well the deal breaker for me is I played a lot of it in 2011-2012 and didn't enjoy it as much as Oblivion for many reasons. Unless I can mess around w/a ton of mods, not bothering anyway, regardless of saves.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If I'm going to revisit Skyrim I want to start from scratch anyway, so no.

@neurogia said:

@nightriff said:

That's what people said and I only ever experienced one bug that broke the game around hour 100 when I was already loosing steam with the game. Everyone's experience was different, I was a lucky one I guess.

It got a lot better after numerous patches. I put over 200 hours into the PS3 version with almost no problems. Still probably the worst version but was definitely playable.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see it being an issue. I put around 200 hours on the PC and Xbox 360 versions, and see this as just an opportunity to try another build or go for a complete single-character playthrough... which is something I've wanted to do, despite different characters and builds being a better method for playing TES games.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't expect that to be the case anyway.

Nixamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No issue what so ever.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I loved what time I sunk into it, but never really even did anything in it Quests wise. This seems like a good excuse for me to go play it again with a more focused mindset. Plus, I never played any of the DLCs, so that is also a good incentive for me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think Bethesda is a terrible developer, so as soon as news tuned up about teh game I instantly didn't care. Their games run so bad. As technology advances and other games turn out so much better in the wRPG genera, it is hard to ignore how clunky their games are when played.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

T he PS3 version was terrible. It started hitching after 50 hours and if you purchased any of the DLC the load times became unbearable. I would say playing the remaster might be worth it just for the improvedload times. When I switched to PC I did more more stuff in 150 hours than I did in 330 hours on PC just because of the load times.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'm slightly surprised that it's not there - but at the same time I wouldn't ever see myself using it. If I'm going to play that game again, I'm going to want to start a fresh character and experience that world from Moment One onwards, not jump back into an old character. Presumably any old character would either be from so long ago that hopping back in would just be confusing, or you would have played so much of it that you'd have eaten up a hefty chunk of the interesting content in the world.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim is a no-go on consoles for other reasons personally.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I never expected to be able to carry my save over honestly... I can definitely appreciate why people would want that though. For me I'm definitely excited to pick this up again (maybe on sale.. what's the price?) and start over new. Skyrim's world is one I enjoy very much. All that cold makes my heart feel good.

Do we know if Skyrim will support mods on consoles like Fallout 4? Of pretty much any game in history this was the one to mod for me, even just for simple things like the "Start Another Life" type mods.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I invested 157 hours on PS3 and stopped playing the game around summer 2012. If I ever do replay Skyrim, I will just create a new save and start from scratch. I did so much, so long ago I wouldn't play it any other way. So, I didn't expect the saves to be compatible and don't mind anyways.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rafaelfc

If the remaster is largely cleaned up on bugs and has reasonable performance i'd definitely double dip regardless of transferring saves. But this being a bethesda game I expect a damn mess on consoles.

Avatar image for bestintheworld013
    bestintheworld013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 80+ hour save was wiped out anyways, so I've been looking for an excuse to start fresh.

ExK4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I do end up buying it I would have started a new save anyway. No skin off my back.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThePanzini

Never expected the save to carry over having 200+ hours on 360 finshing every sidequest got all the achievements being stupidly overleveled. What would you do in the remaster with your old save?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not interested anyway, waiting for the fallout 4 remaster.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.