Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Elder Scrolls Soundtrack is the best right???

jensejar002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So my friend says elder scrolls music sucks a## but I say its the best video game music out there!!! Skyrims is the best with morrowind a close second.. Whats your guys thoughts and opinions on the elder scrolls music

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Morrowind theme is god tier, up there with the best ever. The Oblivion theme is a close second. I agree, the ES soundtrack is pretty much amazing from top to bottom.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The music in the elder scrolls games are an integral part of the experience for me. The way you'll be walking though the snowy mountains with a haunting yet pretty score rising in the background is chill inducing. Then for it all to turn epic and soaring when you enter a battle with bandit or even a dragon is inspiring. It's absolutely beautiful. Skyrim wouldn't have been near as special as it was to me without the music. It's safe to say you're friend is dead wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The soundtracks are generally good sounding, but largely forgettable outside the game for the most part, in my opinion.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi
    @_brojangles_ said:

The soundtracks are generally good sounding, but largely forgettable outside the game for the most part, in my opinion.

Yeah. As someone who likes to listen to game soundtracks, I would never listen to any of the Elder Scrolls series' music outside of the game. Though that's more my disinterest in orchestral music and less any actual dislike of the soundtrack.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By raviolisumo

Nier is best game OST.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

The exploration music is so so good in those games. I really like Skyrim but Oblivion holds a special place in my heart. You should check out the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack for another good Jeremy Soule soundtrack.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@_brojangles_ said:

Yeah. As someone who likes to listen to game soundtracks, I would never listen to any of the Elder Scrolls series' music outside of the game. Though that's more my disinterest in orchestral music and less any actual dislike of the soundtrack.

This is how I feel too, but in my case, I tend to like orchestral music. I've been playing the Icewind Dale games for the first time recently, and I've often found myself thinking "wow, I should look up the name of this song for future listening" which is something I don't recall feeling about the Elder Scrolls' music (outside of the main themes, which tend to be pretty memorable)

Also:

@wes899 said:

Nier is best game OST.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

FUCK YEAH IT IS.

Also I love orchestral music.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@deadpancakes said:
    @corruptedevil said:
    @_brojangles_ said:

This is how I feel too, but in my case, I tend to like orchestral music. I've been playing the Icewind Dale games for the first time recently, and I've often found myself thinking "wow, I should look up the name of this song for future listening" which is something I don't recall feeling about the Elder Scrolls' music (outside of the main themes, which tend to be pretty memorable)

I think the reason is that Elder Scrolls music is really good at setting a mood, that feeling of exploring and adventuring. The music is perfect for accompanying you on your travels across Tamriel, but it's not particularly suited for independent listening. Most of it is designed specifically in the context of its implementation in the game and not so much as a catchy or memorable standalone piece of music.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpancakes said:

I think the reason is that Elder Scrolls music is really good at setting a mood, that feeling of exploring and adventuring. The music is perfect for accompanying you on your travels across Tamriel, but it's not particularly suited for independent listening. Most of it is designed specifically in the context of its implementation in the game and not so much as a catchy or memorable standalone piece of music.

Haha, that's funny, that thought just occurred to me after I posted and was about to correct myself, but I guess I don't hafta now.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no, Oblivion had a better soundtrack if anything.

DoubleSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@snakeitachi: I couldn't agree more.

In my case, Oblivion resonates with me more than most games do. I had just gotten a 50 inch HDTV, Surround Sound and a 360. So, when I sat back and played the game, it was one of the most immersive experiences I ever had. Even with that memory in my mind, I would still think that the music is the most defining of the series, and almost each song stands out from each other.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@deadpancakes said:

In case you haven't looked it up... it's actually the same guy! Jeremy Soule composed Icewind Dale 1 and all of Elder Scrolls. Inon Zur did Icewind Dale 2.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@audiobusting: Woahhh, weird haha. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll give an Elder Scrolls soundtrack a listen sometime.

I sure look like an idiot now (though, to be fair, the song I had in mind when I wrote that comment was when the song that plays in Targos in the second IWD, so...maybe I'm half an idiot?)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@deadpancakes said:
    @corruptedevil said:
    @_brojangles_ said:

I have also found Elder Scrolls music excellent study music, or for anything intellectual.

For independent listening, though, there are video game soundtracks that I like better. Not many, but a few.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Diablo II would like a word

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

Skyrim had a few good tracks, but it was mostly kind of forgettable.

I can't bring myself to actually play Morrowind nowadays, but the soundtrack seemed pretty great. It was one of the few western RPGs I can recall where I remember thinking "Hey, this game's music is pretty rad".

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By senrat

Fantastic soundtrack that perfectly captures the tone of the game. Oblivion and morrowind were also great, but skyrim is even better. Jeremy Soule know's how to encapsulate fantasy worlds so well in his music. Its never overbearing, always in the background bringing you into the experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok, but nowhere near the best.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one thing about the Skyrim OST that really irritated me was the terribly cut together Bard/Bar Maid singing segments. I found myself enjoy the flow and rhyme of those little segments and it was made all the cooler that in game characters were singing it.
    But it was so painfully put together>

Line line line, pause, cut. Line line line, pause, cut, line line line, pause, cut. It was so noticeable and jarring.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phoenix wright 1 or afterburner 2 are best soundtracks, with elder scrolls it's really only the main theme that's memorable.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#23  Edited By alistercat

It is pretty amazing, though beyond the opening theme it's just a solid soundtrack. Only a couple of stand out tracks.

I have a signed copy of the 4 disc album. I am terrible at taking photos.

No Caption Provided

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really like the main theme to Skyrim, but it's no Mega Man or Zelda as far as game franchise music goes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@alistercat: I also have that signed album, and you're right, there are a few fantastic tracks in there but it doesn't hold a candle to Oblivion where literally every song is a masterpiece.

Morrowind is pretty sweet too, but I don't have the reverence for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.