Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

How can I start learning about the lore of this universe?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbk486

Oblivion for the PC was my first elder scrolls game. I loved going through the guild quest lines and just exploring the world, but I always felt as if I jumped in the middle of the story. I understood sort of what was going on at the moment, but I didn't really understand the context of what I was doing. Is there an easy way to get familiar with the Elder Scrolls lore so that I can get ready for Skyrim?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By HadesTimes

There are tons of books spread throughout Oblivion. They explain much of the backstory. I would expect it will be much the same in Skyrim.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By vaiz

Play morrowind, if you can. It's dated, yes, but it's overflowing with interesting lore and tidbits about the world. Also, yeah, read wikis.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Moonshadow101

While I do, as a rule, promote the playing of Morrowind, I can see how that's not really an answer that you'd be looking for.

Wikis, as always, are the best place to start. Click something, click something else, etc. UESP (Marz's Link) is a very old and substantial wiki. ("Old" in a good way. It's not out-dated or anything.)

If you're looking for something a bit more pure, The Imperial Library is your source. In combines all in-game books with information given by the writers of the universe and such.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/pocket-guide-empire-third-edition-seat-sundered-kings-cyrodiil

This is the more recent "Pocket Guide to the Empire." It contains and overview of every main race, as well as some basic information about the structure of the world.

I'm quite fond of the TES lore. It's one of the few Tolkien-descended fantasy universes that actually aspires to approach Tolkien's head-crushing complexity and metaphysical history. It doesn't really approach to it, of course, but at least it tries, and it incorporates some neat ideas along the way. The Cloven Dualalities principle remains pretty interesting.

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By firewrkninja

Play Morrowind. 'nuff said

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlightConfuse

USEP wiki as others have said

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Check this out if you're interested in the lore.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By John1912

What is it about Morrowind that people love soo much? Far as enjoyment at the time of playing, Morrowind was my least favorite. The atmosphere is just drab...Sadly upon reflection, Oblivion is the only Elder Scrolls game Ive finished. Though I dont know I can be faulted for that. Between the riddles in Arena, and the unholy mess their first windows game was I dont know if it was actually possible!

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

I didn't have much problem just learning it as Oblivion went along, I'm sure the same will be true with Skyrim, so don't worry about it. The best teacher is immersion, and that's exactly what happens in a game like Elder Scrolls.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Getz

The Skyrim Blog has a feature they've been running where they give you the cliff notes on some of the backstory to the games. It's well-researched and concise, and an excellent starting point. Keep UESP open while you read it, and cross-reference anything you're interested in learning about further: (http://theskyrimblog.com/?p=1385)

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By korwin

@John1912 said:

What is it about Morrowind that people love soo much? Far as enjoyment at the time of playing, Morrowind was my least favorite. The atmosphere is just drab...Sadly upon reflection, Oblivion is the only Elder Scrolls game Ive finished. Though I dont know I can be faulted for that. Between the riddles in Arena, and the unholy mess their first windows game was I dont know if it was actually possible!

IMO Morrowind had the most interesting atmosphere of the bunch. Vvardenfell didn't really have that same same Tolkienesque vibe that most fantasy genre games borrow from, opting for a much more unique design from a landscape and architecture point of view. Also found the bestiary to be more interesting in TES3 (who doesn't love them some pack Guars).

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By yoshimitz707

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/page__pid__16312374#entry16312374

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By valrog

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.