Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Over powering my character

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

Am I the only one who figured out how to make your character over powered in Oblivion? I want them to keep that same system because it encouraged me to change my play style to keep up. When I was building my character I organized his skill tree so he would be a great sword and shield warrior early then I could use magic more and more later on. I maxed out my Nords sword, shield, and heavy armor skills by level 20 then started to work on my magic skills. Because I was so good with sword and shield though I could just use magic against enemies and not worry if they were too strong or invulnerable against it. Even after getting good at magic I changed my play style again when I started using illusion magic. Combined with the fact my character was already a master of sword, shield, armor, destruction magic and summoning magic using stealth pretty much allowed me to handle enemies anyway I wanted. I practically broke the game without breaking it.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Green_Incarnate

All you had to do in Oblivion was create the spell that multiplied the damage every time you cast it. It would kill anything in 3 or 4 hits. Hell, you can even enchant a dagger with it so it would work even faster. Add invisibility to the mix and you're pretty much invulnerable.

DrChipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DrChipotle

I actually had a lot of fun with this in Oblivion. I'm not sure if the leveling system was the best, but when I loaded up my old oblivion character and found out he could jump 15-20 ft in the air, run so fast the game couldn't load properly, and kill a room full of dudes with one arrow, it was really fun (it turns out the melee combat is more interesting with 150+ acrobatics and you can jump over enemies' heads). And all this was without mods, in about 90 hours of play.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah, I hope they keep it like that in Skyrim. It is a "fantasy-ish"game, so it isn't made to be incredibly realistic. So, it would still go with the theme if you could have some insanely bad-ass character that can jump jump over buildings and destroy a group of enemies with one spell.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ignor

You can't break what's already broken.
    I always found myself completely hosed by the leveling system in Oblivion.
    I hope they revert to Morrowind's system. I want more enemies when I level up, not stronger ones.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah well leveling was fucked. Wouldn't chalk it up to pure skills on your part, guy. Most people had an easy time with Oblivion.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

get +5 endurance every level,start of with the max endurance=high powered character.
    My friend didnt even level his endurance,he completed all secondary quests and then proceeded to the planes of oblivion, couldn't finish the game XD

Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dejkrigeren

I want scrolls of icarian flight :(

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ignor
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " get +5 endurance every level,start of with the max endurance=high powered character. My friend didnt even level his endurance,he completed all secondary quests and then proceeded to the planes of oblivion, couldn't finish the game XD "
    It really isn't too hard to simply run past any obstacle and grab the sigil stone.
    Efficient leveling is stupid and shouldn't be required in order to enjoy the game.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

Having to keep jumping everywhere just to level up your agility is one of those things that makes sense in a video game, but thinking about it, is fucking stupid.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pweidman

All character types became overpowered in Oblivion with some common sense skill building.  Many complain about the leveling system, but if the enemies didn't lvl with you, the game would have been way too easy and boring as hell by lvl20 imo.  My brawler had over 60% reflect damage gear on, lol,...  just block and kill all comers if I felt like it.  But it was fun to dabble in the spells and alchemy late game for variety's sake.  Can't wait to play ES:5.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By grilledcheez

If you leveled up conjuration you wouldn't even have to fight...

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ignor
    @pweidman said:

" Many complain about the leveling system, but if the enemies didn't lvl with you, the game would have been way too easy and boring as hell by lvl20 imo. "

This would've been easy to fix. Just add more dudes. 

Edit: I also hated that one couldn't talk one's way out of conflicts. Most of the quests were just "Go there, kill that".
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I spent more time making spells and increasing my Blade skill. Magic/Combat hybrids are always good.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By skrutop

Yeah, I'd like to see how leveling up will work in this game; Oblivion's leveling system totally screwed you if you didn't know what you were doing, or made you completely overpowered if you did.  I just paralyzed everything and ran past it.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By babblinmule

Oh wow I had completely forgotten about the awesomeness of acrobatics in Oblivion. Sprinting round the towns and leaping over crowds of people simply never ever got old.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karkarov

For the record this is how Skyrim leveling works according to the article in the Feb GI which you should have by now if you are a subscriber...

There is no longer classes, none, classes are gone.  All skills level you, that is right again, all skills increase your level.  The major/minor skill system has been completely removed too so certain skills don't get leveling speed bonuses over others either.  All skills do scale with rank increases though, meaning it is much easier to go from Destruction rank 10 to rank 11 than it is rank 50 to 51.  Leveling like skills scales, so getting from 1-5 is easier than getting 5-10.  Likewise skill gains have greater effect on your progress to the next level depending on how high the skill is.  Put simply getting one skill from 73 to 74 will have more effect on you gaining a level than getting one from 20-23. 

Once you do actually level you always gain a certain amount of HP, you get to assign stats (not confirmed on if you get a static number or not or if it was based on skill use), and you get to pick perks which are things like chance to stun on a power attack with a mace or bonus damage with fire spells etc.  One important note about perks though is they are not "general" like Fallout 3, they are each tied to a specific skill.  So while they didn't say it in the article I expect access to perks is also governed by how progressed you are in a given skill.  

Level 50 is considered to be an "endgame" level and was compared to being level 25 in fallout 3.  It is worth pointing out that the article did go on to say that you can level past 50 (it just gets much harder at that point) and no max level was confirmed.  

PS: There are only 18 skills in Skyrim, I believe there are 21 in Oblivion.  Todd Howard said in an interview they took out the ones they felt were derivative or redundant.  One of the removed skills is Mysticism which had it's spells divided into the other spell schools.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other three was Acrobatics and it was simply merged with Athletics. 

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ignor

No spears or crossbows... <=(

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Ignor: i never said it should be required,in fact thats the only thing that ruins oblivions gameplay perfection, at least for me -.-
    having to constantly worry about how many times you leveled armorer or heavy armor is just to tedious...
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By T0mF5

I made a set of armor that let me become completely invisible.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TheHBK

turn down the difficulty.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Agent47
    @ryanwho: There was always that difficulty slider....no matter of over powered can prepare you for that.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demyx

I maxed out alteration and illusion, and just created a Chameleon 100% spell and just sneak attacked everyone.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikey87144
    @pweidman said:
    "
    All character types became overpowered in Oblivion with some common sense skill building.  Many complain about the leveling system, but if the enemies didn't lvl with you, the game would have been way too easy and boring as hell by lvl20 imo.  My brawler had over 60% reflect damage gear on, lol,...  just block and kill all comers if I felt like it.  But it was fun to dabble in the spells and alchemy late game for variety's sake.  Can't wait to play ES:5. "
    I got that reflection shield from that quest with the stolen painting and it always made me laugh when an enemy died from hitting me

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mikey87144
    @skrutop said:
    " Yeah, I'd like to see how leveling up will work in this game; Oblivion's leveling system totally screwed you if you didn't know what you were doing, or made you completely overpowered if you did.  I just paralyzed everything and ran past it. "
    That was the thing and why it divided people. When you figured it out, and I admit it took me till level 13 to do it, you totally break the game. Especially when you start dabling in spell making, making potions, and magic
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

Leveling system in Oblivion is broken, news at 11.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By floodiastus
    @Ignor said:
    " You can't break what's already broken.
    I always found myself completely hosed by the leveling system in Oblivion.
    I hope they revert to Morrowind's system. I want more enemies when I level up, not stronger ones. "
    Yup I agree with that. I hated oblivions leveling so much that I quit playing the game three times, investing about 10-20 hours each time.
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By droop

Maybe it will be more fitting to say that Skyrim is Fallout 3 with swords, rather than Fallout 3 being Oblivion with guns :p

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By haggis

Yeah, the leveling system is a bit screwy. Most players didn't have a problem with it, at least the first time through. But once you play through and know what's coming and what's available, it's incredibly easy to overpower your character. Like enchanting armor to grant 100% chameleon. It wasn't even that hard to do. The game rewarded you for breaking the rules. Honestly, I found it a lot of fun to screw around with. I think people's attitude toward it is shaped quite a bit by their first runthrough. If you got screwed (which was, in retrospect, a bit too easy) then you hated it. I'm expecting the system to be a bit better constructed in Skyrim.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Helimocopter

i mananged to create a massively overpowered sword, and destroyed the entire world with one hit

EODTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EODTech

My main character was a thiefy assassin, but I also tried orc melee tank and elf archer.  But for something completely off the wall, I spent a couple weeks playing as a little old lady mage...and let me tell you, THAT was the most overpowered character ever.  I think Bethesda makes magic so powerful because they assume you will sink at least some of your points into other types of combat.  But no, I went full mage, with absolutely no weapons skills.  I'm pretty sure I didn't even carry a weapon while playing that character.  The point is, she was so hilariously overpowered it was amazing.  Nothing could touch her, and I felt much more powerful with her than with any other character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.