Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim's PC system requirements?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

I plan on building or buying my next PC based on Skyrim's system requirements as a starting point (scratch that- I be using Battlefield 3's). Has there been any word from E3 or elsewhere regarding the game's requirements?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

Skyrim is being built for consoles (aka 360 development. What is your current computer setup?

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Th3_James

go with a 2600K, 8gb DDR3 whatever, and a 580 or 6970. You'll be good for awhile with that.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

Well considering it is a console coded game :( you'll probably be fine with any of today's current mid-high and above cards. I imagine the minimum will be a 9600gt or something.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BonOrbitz

@somejerk said:

Skyrim is being built for consoles (aka 360 development. What is your current computer setup?

Intel 4, 3ghz processor, 2gb RAM, and I want to say Radeon 4670 or something like that. She runs well, but it's definitely time to upgrade for Skyrim, StarCraft II, Diablo III, and Bioshock Infinite.

@Th3_James: I'm thinking going with i7 2600 and I'll look into the cards you suggested.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BonOrbitz

@AlexW00d said:

Well considering it is a console coded game :( you'll probably be fine with any of today's current mid-high and above cards. I imagine the minimum will be a 9600gt or something.

So I've been hearing more and more about this... I really hope the PC version gets the same attention and care as the console developed versions. I love me some consoles, but when I think Elder Scrolls I think of my PC.

Bakath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bakath

They made the game for consoles man, you'll get less jaggies and higher rez textures but that's about it.
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Stahlbrand

Probably pretty moderate, but if the performance and extendability of Oblivion and Fallout are any indication, the more computer you can throw at it, the greater your returns will be -- especially when you consider post-release graphics/visual improvement mods.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Nomin

You should wait until the games you'd like to play are released before upgrading. 

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @Nomin said:
    You should wait until the games you'd like to play are released before upgrading. 
    You're absolutely right, and that's why I'm going to be getting a new rig with my company bonus in December. By that time Battlefield 3 and Skyrim will be out. I'll customize my PC around Battlefield's requirements and "future proof" it so it'll last me long time.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I remember when i first got Oblivion...that game was a lag fest for me.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Edwardryu

there is a possibility that they could make console and PC version separately. maybe I am wrong. but I just hope. 

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By sreya92
    @Edwardryu: Nope they're developing the game for the console and essentially porting it to the PC with a powerful modkit to invigorate the modding community
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Edwardryu

so it's console port. too bad. I am glad not to buy that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bonorbitz said:

@AlexW00d said:

So I've been hearing more and more about this... I really hope the PC version gets the same attention and care as the console developed versions. I love me some consoles, but when I think Elder Scrolls I think of my PC.

According to Todd at Quakecon, he said that the PC version will looks pretty damn good, with high-res textures and sharper shadows being implemented.
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Tru3_Blu3: Yep. And that is the 'out of the box' experience. Oblivion and Fallout both saw visual enhancement mods (and near must-haves at that) within the first weeks.

If people are worried about the PC performance, look at it this way; on consoles the game is going to run at 1440x720 max, with low-res textures and lower-sample shadows. If you have a powerful PC, you'll be running it at 1920x1080 at least (hopefully you have a better than 1080 monitor), with the high res textures and sharper shadows, plus you'll be able to turn up the draw distances and LOD biases, and get a better frame rater than the console game anyways. That is the default. Experience suggests that more extensive shaders and environmental scripting, as well as crazy detail textures and other graphics mods will start surfacing in no time.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deathshroud

I played Oblivion on PC and would like to play Skyrim on it as well. But I am running a older rig . P4 2,2g Duel-core with 4g ram and a ATI HD 4000 series Graphics card. . So i cannot decide if I want to get PC and run it with lower settings or get the PS3 version/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.