Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The audio is way too quiet...

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

I just started playing(a week late, I know!) on the PC and I have an incredibly annoying issue. The game is SO quiet! At 100 it sounds like my headphones are turned almost fully down. I tried putting on loudness equalization and it helps but it's still pretty low. These headphones are pretty powerful and most games like BF3 are too loud on full. Is this a bug or what? I can't play with it all bloody quiet. Yeah, huge dragon smashes something, barely hear a rumble of bass it's so low. Uh!

Aklimakks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Aklimakks

Try adding or adjusting fAudioMasterVolume under the [AudioMenu] property in your SkyrimPrefs.ini, located in C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\

For instance: fAudioMasterVolume=4.0000

This worked for me, though the audio balance still seems slightly off with voices being drowned by ambient sound.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Yeah I find the PC version has some pretty frustrating audio and visual issues. You could also try messing with the advanced settings for sound in the control panel.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

This may sound stupid, but if this only happens with Skyrim, are you sure that the game's balance on Windows is OK? With the game running (preferably in a window), click the Sound icon in the taskbar (to the left of the clock), then click on Mixer. Make sure that Skyrim's volume is not lowered.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Robo

I find the sound fine for much of the game but yeah fighting dragons seems to be a little lacking. The low rumbles as it swoops overhead, distant echoes of it's roaring, and earth-shaking boom of it landing just aren't powerful enough in comparison to other sound effects. I wan't windows vibrating, but not because I just pump everything up to where I'm being smacked in the face with a wall of muddied sound. It's no BF3, that's for sure.

I'd like to hear it on a better setup though. It could just be my ancient system not quite giving it the oomph it needs.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By metal_mills
    @Aklimakks said:

Try adding or adjusting fAudioMasterVolume under the [AudioMenu] property in your SkyrimPrefs.ini, located in C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\

For instance: fAudioMasterVolume=4.0000

This worked for me, though the audio balance still seems slightly off with voices being drowned by ambient sound.

Yeah it's louder but the voices are ruined by it. There isn't a way to add an fAudioVoiceVolume setting is there?Would that work?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous

Yep. Have to turn my speakers up way past where I do for any other game.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Laksa

if you are on windows 7. right click on the volume icon on your notification area,>playback devices>highlight icon with a green tick on it>properties>enhancement tab>Put a check next to Loudness equalization.Apply

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By metal_mills
    @Laksa said:

if you are on windows 7. right click on the volume icon on your notification area,>playback devices>highlight icon with a green tick on it>properties>enhancement tab>Put a check next to Loudness equalization.Apply

I did. It helps but not enough.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By tekmojo

Is there a sound fade variable that can be edited easily I wonder. I have 7.1 and it's still badass but seems like sound doesn't travel far enough.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By metal_mills
    @owl_of_minerva said:

Yeah I find the PC version has some pretty frustrating audio and visual issues. You could also try messing with the advanced settings for sound in the control panel.

@ajamafalous said:
    Yep. Have to turn my speakers up way past where I do for any other game.
    I found a fix. Not sure if it'll be the same for you two but changing the audio settings in the realtek controls to 5.1 seems to balance the sound out and makes it louder. So they just didn't optimize it others I guess. Pretty weak effort if that's the case.
    Aklimakks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aklimakks

@Metal_Mills: Don't know about any other .ini variables which might help you. Did read that adjusting your sample rate and bit depth to 44100Hz/24Bit (under advanced speaker properties) worked for some people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.