Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

The Evil Within gameplay details

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Here are some gameplay details:

• Mikami is aiming for "the perfect balance between horror and action"
    • Aims to have an "air of mystery" instead of thematic twists
    • Main character is called 'Sebastian', he is a detective
    • His partner is called Joseph, and the two are joined by a female detective referred to as 'Kid'
    • Viewpoint is from over Sebastian's shoulder
    • The development team is "paying a lot of attention to the theatrical and cinematic aspects" of the game
    • In terms of controls, they want the game to feel scary and cinematic, but the controls shouldn't impact flow or be cumbersome
    • The Evil Within is developed using a heavily modified version of id Tech 5 which the game's art director calls "Tango-stylized"
    • Player movement plays an important part in survival. Sneaking and crouching may be necessary when monsters are nearby.
    • The variety of motions and animations change depending on whether enemies are nearby nor not
    • The Evil Within's producer thinks it's much harder to scare people these days, so Sebastian has been created as an everyman. Players are meant to identify with him, which makes it more immersive.
    • A "Butcher" brandishing a chainsaw chases Sebastian. He can uses things in the environment, such as glass bottles, to distract enemies.
    • The first part of the demo takes place in an asylum, followed by a brief section in a hospital.
    • The second part skips to an outside area, as Sebastian moves towards an abandoned cottage.
    • The Evil Within has a minimalist HUD. Items that can be interacted with a denoted with on-screen prompts. On the screen is a small health bar and, when a weapon is drawn, an icon indicating ammo,
    • Players will have "appropriate types of weapons with a limited amount of ammunition to get them through"
    • The standard enemies in The Evil Within are zombie-like, shambling types.
    • Progression through the cottage is linear, but it is promised the game will open up. The Evil Within is a mixture of "narrow, confined spaces and larger, wide open spaces"
    • The areas are designed to make players feel claustrophobic, then provide relief through open areas. The cycle is repeated over the course of the game, with enemies appearing in unexpected ways and places.
    • In the demo, an enemy wave that moves very much like Resident Evil 4's Ganados are defeated with a mine trap. Sebastian lays the mine by a door, the rest are dispatched with a handguns. The enemies attempt to break in through the window.
    • At one point the environment shifts, changing its layout. Before Sebastian can get his bearings, a wave of blood crashes down the corridor, similar to the elevator scene in The Shining.
    • Sebastian wakes up at the asylum. The inspiration for the shifting environments was cited as The Winchester House
    • Another enemy shown in the demo is described as "a giant, multi-legged, multi-armed wraith". It emerges from a fountain of blood and moves quickly towards Sebastian.
    • Mikami ends the demo by saying "If players say 'I haven't played a game this scary in a while,' that would make me the happiest.

So what do you think?

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nivash

It certainly sounds intriguing. I'm a bit disappointed that it went more Resident Evil than Amnesia. Of course, there was never really any indication of it going any other way with Shinji Mikami at the helm, it's just that I don't find games that are combat-heavy very scary. It's way too easy for my game-saviness to kick in and start viewing enemies as targets rather than things to be scared of. That said, the stealth aspects are promising in that they should help counteract that tendency if used correctly. As is the environment shift: that's an excellent way of keeping players off their feet.

But I really want to see it in motion before I'm convinced. RE's main flaw has always been the controls for me - I've heard good things about that aspect for EW, but I'd like to see it firsthand..

In any case I'm very interested in seeing what next-gen platforms could do for the genre.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so RE4?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

While I can tell they're trying to let down the pure horror crowd down a little gently, pointing out that yes there'll no doubt be a good source of action, but I'm not wavered in my excitement. If they keep to their word that ammunition is scarce enough so you can't wilfully just go around popping heads ala RE4/RE5, then this'll be a fine survival-horror experiment. I've long said that the controls needn't hinder the player too much so as to create the oppressive atmosphere required, and the possibility of forcing player to go all stealth-like against certain monsters sounds perfect for creating a lot of tension. It certainly sounds like this game'll have its very own Nemesis/Pyramid Head to haunt Sebastian through the game.

I'm also really happy to see that it'll be playing around with some psychological horror sort of motifs, too. I always love it when games mess with your head like that and alter the environment and so forth.

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am down for this.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By joshthebear

Sounds good, although I hope to god that it actually controls well.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to absolutely love this. I'm tired of all those indie horror games that spew out every week. Sure, some of them are hidden gems... but its just been to long since we've seen an actual development team work in the horror genre. Dead Space 3 and RE6 do not count.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By killacam

Sounds like I've played it before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I love that he just named it as a synonym for Resident Evil.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nivash

@brodehouse: Hah, good point! Didn't even think of that. Although the Japanese title is" Psychobreak", so it's more Bethesda's doing than Mikami's.

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am actually looking forward to see the video of the demo that Mikami is talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.