Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Forgotten Realms

Location » linked to 37 games

The world of Abeir-Toril, and specifically its continent of Faerûn, is a popular Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting and appears in numerous games.

What happened to Forgotten Realms as a franchise?

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By datarez

What happened to Forgotten Realms as a franchise?  It had it's heyday in the early 2000s with the Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance, Icewind Dale and then leading into the Neverwinter series.  It seemed like Wizards of the Coast buying the D&D was the best thing ever for D&D gaming.  Then pretty much nothing.  I guess a lot of that had to do with Black Isle and Interplay shutting down but did they own the gaming license or something?  Just kind of a bummer we don't get to see one of my favorite RPG worlds in games anymore.  I know there is the new Neverwinter game from Cryptic but it doesn't seem to be advertising the Forgotten Realms spin right now.  I wonder if it'll include it at all.   

I also haven't been keeping up with the books since that time period either though.  Has the series died down?

baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By baron_calamity

My guess is with the D&D video game rights spread across several companies, some of which are in legal limbo, is the biggest reason why we haven't seen more D&D titles in the Forgotten Realms. As for the book, Who reads books anymore?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

I can't remember...

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ImpendingFoil

The popularity of Dungeons and Dragons has died down a lot since the 90s, hence the lack of D&D related games.  They have Neverwinter coming out though like you said and I'm sure if the sales on that are great we will see other D&D properties come back.

Screw Forgotten Realms though, I would much rather see a Dark Sun or Ravenloft game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By august
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    @august said:
    " The D&D license is apparently pretty fucked. "

That article is almost a year old though, if Atari was as fucked as the original story stated I really doubt they would be putting out Neverwinter.
    datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By datarez
    @august said:
    "The D&D license is apparently pretty fucked. "

Thanks.  That at least explains why no one is going to want to even try a D&D game right now.  Bummer.  As for why they're even trying Neverwinter in that state, it might be one of those deals where they have to at least try to make a game to keep the license.  Like that never released Fantastic Four movie by Paramount.  I do hope we see some new stuff though.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    @datarez said:
    .  Like that never released Fantastic Four movie by Paramount.  I do hope we see some new stuff though. "
    I liked that Fantastic Four movie.  It was so terrible it was great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.