Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

One last delay - new release "December 6th/7th/9th"

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

As posted over on the playstation blog -

The Last Guardian development team is fast-approaching major milestones in production and has made the tough decision to delay the release of The Last Guardian by a few weeks. The Last Guardian will launch on 7th December 2016, across Europe and 9th December 2016 across UK & Ireland.

Fumito Ueda, gen DESIGN and JAPAN Studio have a wonderful vision for The Last Guardian’s touching, emotional journey of friendship and trust, and we want to deliver the most polished experience possible for our fans who have supported us for so long.

A delay is a difficult decision, particularly with this game, but we have encountered more bugs than anticipated while in the final stages of development. To ensure that The Last Guardian delivers on the experience that the game’s creators have envisioned, we need to take the extra time to work on those issues.

Our development continues to push itself to the fullest and we look forward to revealing new content towards the launch.

We appreciate your continued support.

EU PSN Blog

For the US it's "out" on the 6th.

Just couldn't make it out without one more delay huh? What's the over/under for a slip into 2017?

This delay might explain why there hasn't been more advertising or publication about this game - that or Sony just don't want to put that much more money into it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

hahah but of course.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They just don't give a shit about their sales. Gravity Rush 2 comes out December 2nd and this comes only 4 days later. Man, what the fuck?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I was about to make this thread, but instead of giving a clear title I was going to put "Guess what this thread is about! Come on, guess!"

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't go with that choice of words for the thread title, but ok.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

"The Last Guardelay"

I'm fine with it. I've waited this long, I guess I can wait a few more weeks if it makes the game better overall.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ThePanzini  Online

The joke write itself at this point but its a much better date for me will get a chance to play it Oct a killer month.

davequirky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By davequirky

Fuck it, why the hell not. Still don't know why picked October in the first place, with all the big games coming out in the next few months, would they not have better sales, by shifting it to early next year, to get out of the crush.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck it why hell not. Still dont know why picked October in the first place, with all the big games coming out in the next few months, would they not have better sales, by shifting it to early next year, to get out of the crush.

They picked October because Sony has basically no other exclusives for the holiday period, except Gravity Rush 2, which is a sequel to an even less known property than this is (I know Last Guardian is not a true sequel, but it's sort of a spiritual sequel to Ico/SOC.) Of course with PSVR and PS Pro coming out I'm not sure Sony needs any exclusives, and I'm not sure exclusives matter anyway, considering that Microsoft hasn't seemed to get much benefit from its 'sclusies this generation.

I think the Last Guardian would benefit from an additional delay to put it out in February or some other month with relatively few releases when a smaller game with an ardent following can grow into a sleeper hit. Until Dawn sort of did that last year, releasing in August and getting a bunch of attention before the fall deluge.

Any way, while it's fun to tease Sony about the endless delays with this title I'm inclined to be patient. It's not like it's a huge multiplayer experience I'm building my gaming plans around. It will be a fun, quiet 10-15 hour single player experience, probably beautiful and meditative, and I'd rather have it more polished than sooner.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds alright to me. Not sure how it'll affect it's overall sales, but this holiday season I have to wait to play most of my games in December once I finish up this semester. I don't think I'd have played it til then anyway.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

I can't remember if it was last week's or this week's Giant Bombcast where they were talking about upcoming releases, but I swear they joked about The Last Guardian getting delayed again.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. Let them take their time. I don't know much about this game, so it's not like I'm chomping at the bit for it.

Plus, there are always new games to play and I've amassed a massive backlog of games I need to get to.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@gbrading: It was on the very last episode.

I can't say I am surprised, but damn... over 7 years since revealed?

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making games can be difficult and time consuming. Obviously they're having difficulty with the leaderboards, matchmaking, and trying to balance all those classes...

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Dussck

Hahaha, my god.

So I made a bet last year in March or so with a guy at work who was always talking about Final Fantasy 15 and how good that game will be. I told him that it would still take years for it to release and he waved it off saying it was almost done. I said that even The Last Guardian would release earlier than FF 15. So the bet was that whatever game released first, one of us would've to buy a copy of that game for the other.

So then came E3 2015 and The Last Guardian was re-introduced and with a 2016 releasedate. I already laughed my ass off.

One year later the releasedate of FF15 was September 2016. TLG got a releasedate at E3 2016 and it was ..... October 2016! Dammit, both games were in production for about 9 years and now I lose this bet on 1 month time. Then just after E3 we got the release update on FF15 and now it was November 2016! Haha, now I was winning with a 1 month difference. I already starting to mock the other guy, telling him to get his wallet ready.

Now this news.

I'm shattered again :'(

On the other hand. There's still time for FF15 to delay once more...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Yeah alright, whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like The Last Guardian is more of a joke than a game, but hey, maybe it'll actually hit its new release date!

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20  Edited By pauljeremiah
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 Pro exclusive. The regular just can't handle a retooled PS3 game.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'm not that shocked but now I'm a little worried for Gravity Rush 2, which is coming out on Dec 2nd. Hope that game doesn't get forgotten in the Last Guardian hype.

Also who every said that this was the last delay :)

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm starting to think this game is just a prank Sony are playing on us as a distraction from people leaking their actual titles.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm sorta okay with this. I'll pick this game up right when it comes out, definitely. But there is a lot of shit coming out in October that I'm gonna have to try and get through before December.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By colourful_hippie

Keep the nightmare alive, never release it

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad to finally get that exclusive to justify my ps3 purchase, whats a few more months?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.