Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Longest Journey

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 16, 2000

The Longest Journey puts the player in the shoes of 18-year old April Ryan as you face various challenges to find the Guardian and restore Balance between the two distinctly different worlds of Stark and Arcadia.

I need a little help here, fellows.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By teh_destroyer

I bought the pack off of Steam because it was on sale at a cheap price because I lost my hard disk copies long ago.

Anyways, the game runs fine, but when it comes to a cut scene, it starts to play, but freezes and the audio continues its regular course, and when its over the game starts playing fine again. I basically can't watch the cut scenes, I am running this on Windows 7 Professional and I am positive that is the the reason why I am having trouble with it. I need a little help on running this game, thanks.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By emem

@teh_destroyer: Hm have you tried any compatibility modes?

I bought the game a second time via Steam as well and it runs perfectly fine (Win 7 64bit) even without changing a thing.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @teh_destroyer:  IMO the best way to fix Steam games is looking up the problems/submitting your problem on the official Steam forums.. they're too efficient 

Anyway i hope someone here can help you
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By teh_destroyer

@emem said:

@teh_destroyer: Hm have you tried any compatibility modes?

I bought the game a second time via Steam as well and it runs perfectly fine (Win 7 64bit) even without changing a thing.

Yeah, I tried that also and I get the same problems.@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@teh_destroyer: IMO the best way to fix Steam games is looking up the problems/submitting your problem on the official Steam forums.. they're too efficient Anyway i hope someone here can help you

That is where I first went , tried some of those options and the results did not help it any. I also deleted the game and re downloaded and it was still not helping at all. I am at a loss of what to do now.

drrocktapus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By drrocktapus

I'm experiencing the same problem (through GPU and integrated graphics) and all recommended manipulations of the preferences in the hidden app data folder yield no changes, though I hear running the game windowed could fix the FMVs somewhat. Also, I hate the idea of playing this windowed.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emem

@teh_destroyer: @DrRocktapus: Hm it's really weird that you guys are having problems. What's your hardware setup and OS (I use Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 64bit)?

Have you tried installing all of your latest drivers, including chipset drivers?

spiralsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By spiralsin
    @emem said:

@teh_destroyer: @DrRocktapus: Hm it's really weird that you guys are having problems. What's your hardware setup and OS (I use Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1 64bit)?

Have you tried installing all of your latest drivers, including chipset drivers?

I agree it could be a driver thing or maybe some other background application conflicting with the game/Steam? It's always a guessing game with PC's since no two are completely alike. 

Hope you all figure it out and get to experience the game properly. Longest Journey is one of the last great "point & click" adventures, IMO.
    drrocktapus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By drrocktapus

@emem: I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a laptop that allows you to switch on and off the GPU (Geforce GT 555m) so I can't really update my drivers. I can't tell if the problem is from running The Longest Journey through the GPU or integrated graphics (CPU is i7) as it is all through Steam (so I can't go to the .exe and right-click to select graphics setting) and the Nvidia control panel hasn't proven to be the most reliable when it comes to running a program on the setting you choose.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emem

@DrRocktapus: Huh, you can turn your GPU on and off? So you do have a graphics card in your laptop + the integrated graphics through your CPU? Or can you turn off the 3d rendering for games? I never had a CPU with an integrated GPU and got no idea how it works. :)

And why can't you update your drivers? These drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html should work, but please read the "Before downloading this driver" thingy, depending on your laptop it seems like you have to download something else first.

I've got an nvidia card too and wanted to add AA, but wasn't even able to add the game.exe.. every time I tried to save it just reset the settings.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty

This game is so good and funny. It's working fine for me, have you tried turning off hardware acceleration? Somebody mentions how to do it in a post here

Also, if you encounter any graphical glitches, it is because the game is too old for your video card. To run in software mode, add the lines "bool_IsDoubleBuffer=0" and "bool_UseHardware=0" minus quotes. This is a fix for most common graphical errors.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.