So I played for a while today. So far it's not bad at all.
- I'm aware the graphics aren't absolutely final but I really dig the look of the game even as it is now. Performance-wise I'm experiencing a few issues that I'm pretty sure are related to my PC. I get the impression it's smoother normally. Which is already a step up from AoC.
- The setting and story both have immense potential. I've grown quite sick of high fantasy, so this setting has been somewhat refreshing and...weird. In a good way though. Like some sort of mash-up of various apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic scenarios, secret organizations, and science fiction sub genres. And so far they seem to do a lot of explanation as to why things are the way they are, what stuff does and how, and why you're doing whatever it is you're doing -- at least to an extent, as obviously the real why/how remains a mystery -- providing more of a reason for the occasional fetch/kill quests. It also helps that so far the voice acting has been good.
- The controls and combat are both fairly standard so far, as is the interface. The UI has the look and feel of some mobile OS. It's decent but I could see some things changing. It does a great job of guiding you around without being too in your face or 'hand-holdy' though.
- As noted elsewhere, the leveling/talent/skill system is odd. The game doesn't have specific classes. Instead you're given freedom to spec your characters howevs and use whatever weapons/magic you see fit. Which appears to translate to assault rifles for everyone, because that's what I've seen about 90% of people running around with. Instead of leveling you basically grind out points to spend on said talents/skills up to a certain limit which I honestly don't fully understand yet. It's good to see someone looking beyond your basic leveling system.
- The characters look good. Even the hair is ok...except for the fact that I have yet to see any MMOs with decent black hairstyle options. I mean seriously, how hard is it to throw in a properly lined-up light or dark fade/Caesar? Maybe a short fro or natural curls for the ladies? I'm not looking for anything fancy. Although how sick would a Bobby Brown-style asymmetrical high-top Gumby fade be?