Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Sims 3

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

Electronic Arts follows up to the hugely successful Sims 2 with an improved character creation system, an open neighborhood, and a greater focus on character development.

Living the outdoor life is harder than I thought

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

The latest Sims 3 “stuff pack”, Outdoor Living Stuff, was released on Tuesday. I was hoping that there would be a smooth transition to patching up the game, and then installing Outdoor Living Stuff.

Not a chance.

First warning signal: No automatic update when I cracked open the installer program. My initial reaction was to uninstall everything and start from the beginning by reinstalling the base game and every expansion in order (which is what one usually does when things go really sour). Base game supposedly updates with little problem.

Second warning sign: opening the launcher displays the incorrect version number in the corner where all of the installed expansion packs are listed (I get 0.0.0.0 instead of 1.19.44.010017). Not noticing this, I tried adding the other expansions anyway, hoping that opening them up one at a time would expedite the updating process. No dice.

Last chance option: purge everything – saved games, settings, downloaded content, the works (not like I actually used much of that stuff anyway; I only downloaded it because the things I picked out were free) – and download and patch each game individually. I’ve loved playing the game so far in spite of its faults, but the moment I hit another big snag, I may just retreat to The Sims 2 for good. It may be a little more primitive, but I’m hopeful that all of the things I’ve downloaded and installed work as they should.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

The latest Sims 3 “stuff pack”, Outdoor Living Stuff, was released on Tuesday. I was hoping that there would be a smooth transition to patching up the game, and then installing Outdoor Living Stuff.

Not a chance.

First warning signal: No automatic update when I cracked open the installer program. My initial reaction was to uninstall everything and start from the beginning by reinstalling the base game and every expansion in order (which is what one usually does when things go really sour). Base game supposedly updates with little problem.

Second warning sign: opening the launcher displays the incorrect version number in the corner where all of the installed expansion packs are listed (I get 0.0.0.0 instead of 1.19.44.010017). Not noticing this, I tried adding the other expansions anyway, hoping that opening them up one at a time would expedite the updating process. No dice.

Last chance option: purge everything – saved games, settings, downloaded content, the works (not like I actually used much of that stuff anyway; I only downloaded it because the things I picked out were free) – and download and patch each game individually. I’ve loved playing the game so far in spite of its faults, but the moment I hit another big snag, I may just retreat to The Sims 2 for good. It may be a little more primitive, but I’m hopeful that all of the things I’ve downloaded and installed work as they should.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.