Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Threads of Fate

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 18, 2000

Lost between the Summer of Adventure promotion Squaresoft ran in the summer of 2000, which included Legend of Mana and the behemoth Chrono Cross, this game became a cult classic.

Deep Look: Threads Of Fate - Two Cool Stories In One Cool Game

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Hey Duders,

Here is the latest Deep Look! Deep Looks are largely gameplay and commentary like a Giantbomb quicklook; however, I try to cover games that have been out for a while and I intend to use the videos to highlight moments and mechanics that I found particularly worthy of highlighting and exploring. Also I aim to keep the videos under 20 minutes.

In this Deep Look I show off the cool dual-narrative structure of Threads of Fate and examine how the game blends two unique protagonists into one cool Action RPG. I show off the narrative and gameplay differences between Mint and Rue's stories and explain why I find Mint's half of the game more enjoyable. Come check out this forgotten classic and see some late 90s/ early 00s Square at their best.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 thatpinguino  Staff

This video is my second foray into editing of any kind and it was a lot less painful than I would have thought. I am thinking about changing my production system a little bit to capture audio separately from video so I can concentrate on each half of the production a little more easily. I tried to keep things as Quick Look-y as possible, but I think my style of content might be better served by focusing all of my attention on speaking rather than splitting my thoughts. That change would increase my production time, but I think the quality might be better overall. This video stuff has a lot of considerations.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I occassionally wanted to give this one a whirl, although I never wanted to pay $60.00 bones for it

I remember I got a demo for it on some Square game I bought and was unimpressed, but your video makes it look signficantly better than I remember that demo playing.

Kinda sad I didn't get it now, I don't think this one has ever been ported to PSN.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

@slag: It actually is on PSN right now! It is 10$ I think. It is definitely worth checking out if you want some generally light-hearted JRPG-style nonsense. I recommend playing Mint's half of the game first since it is the funnier half.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This video is my second foray into editing of any kind and it was a lot less painful than I would have thought. I am thinking about changing my production system a little bit to capture audio separately from video so I can concentrate on each half of the production a little more easily. I tried to keep things as Quick Look-y as possible, but I think my style of content might be better served by focusing all of my attention on speaking rather than splitting my thoughts. That change would increase my production time, but I think the quality might be better overall. This video stuff has a lot of considerations.

Splitting your audio and video recording is a great idea for a number of reasons. Even if you are doing "live" recording like a let's play it helps tremendously being able to edit out a cough or some RL interruption. It also makes audio leveling a ton easier when you get to the actual cutting of the video.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I picked this one of up back when it came to the playstation store as a psone classic. It's a pretty good game though some of the platforming was a bit rough with the camera/graphics.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

@naoiko: I really wish the game supported the analog stick. I feel like that would have alleviated some of the platforming issues. It definitely isn't a strong platformer, but the 4 way control from an isometric perspective isn't doing the game any favors.

@karkarov: Yeah learning the video production stuff has been my biggest challenge so far and I think splitting my audio and video will help a bunch. Also actually using transitions and stuff could be cool as well.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: Wow! Am I glad you said that.

So I learned something today, apparently searching for a game on Playstation.com does not also search the PSN store. It's definitely there as you said if you search the store, but comes up with nothing on the hub page.

Wow that seems like a pretty bad design or poor database work on Sony's part.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@slag: Yeah their site is pretty darn terrible for finding downloadable games of any kind. I don't even know how you can search for PS1 classics on their site. I have had a hard time finding out whether downloadable games were even released on their services in the past. You should theoretically be able to login with your psn account and download a game to your PC to transfer to a Vita or PSP, but their site is so unintuative that it can seem impossible. Not to mention how slow the online store is.

At least you know that Threads of Fate is available now. Would it kill them to have a one stop shop for that kind of info?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: good news , looks like Threads is only 6 bucks.

I think I found how to search for PsOne classics btw, go to the platform then select PSOne classics from the side filter

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/all-ps3-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS3ALLPS3GAMES%7Cgame_type~psone_classics%7C?smcid=ps:nav-playstation-store

man terrible unintuitive design. That doesn't tell you if a game was on there previously though

Zero idea about the PC download/transfer. I didn't know that was even possible.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thatpinguino  Staff

@slag: Nice! I guess the game was on sale or something. The Sony online game store is a pretty big ui nightmare. I suppose its understandable considering the range of content they offer, but that is no excuse for the poor layout.

You actually have to download a separate client to download PSN games to your PC. I think the client comes from the Sony store originally. I just know this because FF9 came out when I was abroad and far from my PS3 and I wanted to buy it for my PSP. Sony's recent consoles have a bunch of poorly explained features that are actually quite useful if you learn about them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.