Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Threads of Fate

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 18, 2000

Lost between the Summer of Adventure promotion Squaresoft ran in the summer of 2000, which included Legend of Mana and the behemoth Chrono Cross, this game became a cult classic.

Gone but Not Forgotten: Threads of Fate

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

No Caption Provided

Last week I wrote about one of my favorite lost gems, Legend of Legaia, and that got me to peruse my game shelf to see if there were any other relics worth exhuming for a closer look. In my PS1 section I happened upon one of the most unfairly forgotten games that I have played: Threads of Fate (aka Dewprism in Japan). Threads of Fate was produced by Squaresoft, and its gameplay is similar to Brave Fencer Musashi, another PS1 cult classic. The game was a third-person action game at its core; however, some of its story and gameplay elements still stand out to this day, and it is worth checking out if you haven’t had the chance.

Threads of Fate begins by offering the player a deceptively simple question: would you like to play as an enigmatic boy named Rue or a spunky girl named Mint? The game presents this choice like a typical choice between two different characters, like perhaps choosing Luigi in Super Mario Bros 2 instead of Toad or Peach. However, the choice you make at the game’s outset locks you in to one of two parallel storylines for around 10 hours of gameplay. Rue and Mint’s stories overlap at key moments, but their motivations, character interactions, and even antagonists vary wildly. Mint is an obnoxious, deposed princess on a quest for a sacred relic, the Dewprism, which will allow her to overthrow her usurping sister Maya and conquer the world. Rue, on the other hand, is searching for the Dewprism in order to resurrect his friend Claire, a woman who sacrificed herself to protect Rue from his main antagonist, the Doll Master. As you can see, these two protagonists could not be on more different quests for the same object.

No Caption Provided

As a result of the dual-narrative structure of Threads of Fate, each half of the game has a very different tone. Mint’s journey starts as a purely selfish act of self-aggrandizement with ridiculously over-the-top dialog and character moments. Over the course of her quest, Mint begins to grow into a likeable human being with interests that don’t include herself. On the other end of the spectrum, Rue begins as a fairly soft-spoken character who does not know much about himself. Throughout his story, Rue learns about his past and about his predestined place in the world. Regardless of whose story you choose, each character eventually comes to meet the other, and depending on whose perspective you are playing, their interactions can be quite different. I remember Mint being a lot more obnoxious when playing Rue’s story, while Rue seemed a lot more clueless when playing as Mint. Over the course of each of the halves, the Mint and Rue’s narratives fuse into one united mission at the game’s end, the conclusion of which is not revealed until both stories are completed. Threads of Fate’s dual-narrative structure was truly novel when it came out, and to a certain extent it still is. I haven’t seen any other game that features two largely separate sub-scripts complete with separate cutscenes.

On top of the narrative duality that the game exhibited, there was also the little matter of the actual gameplay. Like the narrative, each half of the game played quite differently. The basic gameplay was a 3D adventure game with some platforming and melee attacks. However, Mint and Rue each possessed a unique power with which to augment their fighting and puzzle-solving abilities.

No Caption Provided

Mint was a spell caster with access to elemental magic that was limited by her MP gauge. This allowed her to be a fairly straightforward character to use, since she always had access to all of her spells and she always had the same amount of MP to work with. Her skillset was additive, constantly gaining new tools to use.

Rue’s gameplay was a bit more unique, as he was a shape-shifter. Rue could transform into almost any regular enemy in the game after killing it in combat. However, he could only access the last 4 enemies he killed for his transformations. This meant that Rue’s puzzles often began with a monster hunt to actually acquire the form required to solve the puzzle. Each of Rue’s forms had different skills, body sizes, and movement abilities, meaning that Rue’s basic skills were constantly changing, leading to constant adjustment on the part of the player. The one constant that Rue brought to the table was high physical attack damage while in his human form. In a way, he was more straightforward to play than Mint since his physical attacks were so useful. Rue’s monster forms were quite unreliable in boss fights, as some just did not have great damage output and others lacked mobility. Ultimately, the monster forms were more trouble than they were worth in boss fights. Essentially, Mint brought a Swiss-army knife to every fight while Rue brought a pocketknife; she had more tools, but his single tool was more powerful and reliable than hers.

Threads of Fate told two heartfelt, colorful stories of young adventurers learning their way through the world, and the skill the game exhibited in blending two complete narratives into one compelling whole is still remarkable. Threads of Fate is more than just two games crammed together or one game stretched out. It is an actual, honest-to-goodness combination of equal constituent parts. I suppose that is why Squaresoft decided to name the game Threads of Fate in the US rather than Dewprism - it all weaves together nicely.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Zeik

Hey, another game I own. I don't remember as much about this one, I think I only finished it once. I seem to recall the story getting kind of weird toward the end. Also, did it end on a sort of cliffhanger or something? I seem to recall looking into whether there was a Japan only sequel for some reason.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thatpinguino  Staff

@zeik: I actually wasn't able to beat Rue's half when I played it so I'm not sure what happens in the joint ending. I remember it going JRPG crazy, so anything is possible.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the fuck, I was just thinking about this game today!

I have really fond memories of this game, though I don't know how well they hold up now. I haven't played this game since I was like 12. I do know that it has one of my favorite final level musics ever.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

My only memory of this game was from the demo disc that was included with Vagrant Story. I played through that demo a ton, but never actually bought the game. I've considered picking it up off of PSN, but have yet to actually go through with it.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thatpinguino  Staff

@spoonman671: It is definitely worth checking out! I guess I never knew how many demo discs Square used back in the day. I only ever had the FF8 demo that came with Brave Fencer Musashi.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pumpkins!

Wow I never realized that there was a true ending after finishing the 2 stories. I had played the 2 characters in separate save files so I didn't get to see that.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thatpinguino  Staff

@thunderslash: Yeah I believe there is a little bit extra at the end.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#8  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I always confuse this game and Shadow of Destiny, not because the gameplay is similar at all, but because they have kind of similar sounding video game-ass video game titles. "[noun] of [synonym for fatalism]".

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thatpinguino  Staff
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thatpinguino  Staff
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I had a demo of Threads of Fate that I played over and over again. It was a game I always wanted to buy but just slipped through the cracks. I remember it being very vibrant and fun to look at, and at the time the combat was fun too. I remembered Rue crystal clear in my mind, which surprises me.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thatpinguino  Staff

@geraltitude: It definitely has a colorful palate. Especially Fancy Mel's level.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

This game was great, played it about 4 or 5 years ago.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thatpinguino  Staff

@daouzin: How have the graphics aged? I have found that a lot of ps1 games have aged really poorly in the graphics department.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#16  Edited By vigorousjammer

I have a really vivid memory of this game.
    I went with my parents to a "Nobody Beats The Wiz" store around November of 2000, we spent a long time there, because we were getting all the equipment we needed to set up cable internet.

I was 12 years old at the time, and didn't have a Playstation, instead owning a Dreamcast. There's a few things I remember about that visit to that store... I remember digging through the bargin bin there, and that being my first exposure to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, through seeing the Dreamcast game sitting in there. I also remember my parents buying me a copy of Skies of Arcadia that same day as an early Christmas present.

Anyway, I played the demo version of Threads of Fate on the Playstation kiosk there. The demo went through a whole jungle area, chasing after these two cartoony looking hunters or something, as well as the part after that where you're on top of some kind of Aztec looking temple fighting a boss or something. That demo was super captivating, and stuck in my mind for a long time, but I never actually knew the name of the game until just a few years ago. Now I really feel like I should pick it up and play it at some point.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My only memory of this game was from the demo disc that was included with Vagrant Story. I played through that demo a ton, but never actually bought the game. I've considered picking it up off of PSN, but have yet to actually go through with it.

Same here. I really liked that demo, but the full release just got lost in the shuffle of Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, and VS.

I think about it every year or so, but never jumped on board.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Great blog! I really liked this game but I was terrible at playing video games. I ended up using Game Shark to progress through the game, but the cheats eventually broke the game. It broke right around the freaky pseudo 2D platforming level, IIRC. Maybe I was fated (haha) to never finish the game back then. I really want to continue playing this now, but it's not available on my PSN region =/

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only ever played this on a demo disc(remember those?)

Never played or had the full game. But it intrigued me so much when I was a child.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@audiobusting: I had no idea that Game Sharks could hack a save enough to break a game entirely. I always thought that it just let you do stuff like set all your stats to the max number.

@ghostytrickster: I actually just played a bit of Brave Fencer a few months ago for a video blog post. Man that game has some bad, loveable voice acting.

@frostyryan: @csl316: @vigorousjammer: You should play Threads of Fate! Like I said in my post, its central conceit holds up remarkably well for a 15 year old game and it still is quite charming. Also the soundtrack is really good. I'm planning on making a video about Threads once I get around to re-playing a bit of it, so some more encouragement is on the way!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@thatpinguino: I used a moon jump (infinite height) cheat, which can get you stuck in weird places and break some scripting. In retrospect, I don't recommend doing it!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thatpinguino  Staff

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.