Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Time Travel

Concept »

The concept of a character leaping forwards or backwards in time.

What is your favourite time travel game?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll What is your favourite time travel game? (110 votes)

BioShock Infinite 16%
    Braid 8%
    Chrono Trigger 20%
    Day of the Tentacle 10%
    Ghost Trick 5%
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 5%
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 8%
    Life is Strange 13%
    *Other* 15%

Hey, so it turns out that there's a lot of great time travel games. I've tried to list what I think are the most popular ones, but if your favourite isn't up there, mention what it is.

It's honestly incredibly hard for me to pick; some of my favourite games of all time are based around time travel. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd probably go with Braid, but only by the smallest of margins.

• 
    davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By davidh219

Huh, weird question to answer for me because while I like Ocarina of Time the most out of all these games, it literally has nothing to do with the time travel elements which are fairly shallow and nothing but wasted potential. I voted for Day of the Tentacle, which is a much better time travel game. But now I'm kinda feeling like I made hasty decisions and should've voted for Braid instead, lol. Definitely one of those two, anyway.

While I don't think it measures up to most of these, the Back to the Future telltale game was actually pretty good, imo. If you like time travel so much you should try it out.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#2  Edited By Savage

I remember Time Splitters: Future Perfect played with time travel paradoxes in some hilarious ways back in the day, so I'll go with that.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Serious Sam.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Oh man, I was so surprised to see Ghost Trick on your list. Awesome.

It's between that and Bioshock Infinite for me - but Ghost Trick's got heart.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

life is strange is definitely my favorite game with time travel in it, though I wouldn't necessarily say it has the best implementation/use of time travel mechanics. They are deeper and more versatile than what games like bioshock have to offer with regards to gameplay, but also a little inconsistent. And the whole time travel part is arguably the weakest part of lis, whereas I like the time travel related twists of bioshock.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't think it measures up to most of these, the Back to the Future telltale game was actually pretty good, imo. If you like time travel so much you should try it out.

Yeah, I've definitely been meaning to play it, but I haven't gotten around to watching the third BTTF movie yet.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By davidh219

@beachthunder: I don't think not having seen the third movie would have you missing out on much of anything, the story is entirely standalone and doesn't really rely on the previous films for much other than for basic knowledge of who the characters are. I don't think seeing the second movie would even really matter much. Could be wrong though, it's been a while. The game is better than the third movie anyway though, lol. I say just go for it =)

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soul Reaver 2.

You get to go back and murder yourself.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ocarina of Time is my favorite game from that list, but Chrono Trigger is my favorite "time travel game." That game is so much more about time travel than Ocarina of TIme.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bill_mcneal

I'm not sure if I would personally classify Bioshock Infinite as time travel. My vote is a bit of a tie: Radiant Historia and Ocarina of Time. And while I never completed it, I have fond memories of The Journeyman Project.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Daikatana

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strangestories

@savage: I chose the same. I played that game to death splitscreen and had a blast. The haunted house level was weeeeird. Actually that whole game was absolutely bizarre and had a ton of weapons!

ZeeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Very old game but, Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers. It starts out with Roger being attacked by the soldiers of the villain from Space Quest 2, a stranger saves him and sends him forward in time to 'Space Quest 12' (lol). Gary Owens as the narrator was non stop hilarious, and jumping forward in time to 'Space Quest 12' and back in time to 'Space Quest I' where npc's mock Roger for being a VGA (at the time modern graphics) character in an EGA game world (what SQ1 graphics were) was magical and hilarious. I will always have a soft spot for that game.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

inFamous

GearSol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GearSol

Voted for Majora's Mask since it was at least on the list, but I think The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Dark Cloud 2 are probably my favorite and why I was originally gonna choose *Other*. The three are close to being on the same level in my mind, anyways.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

That one is kinda difficult, as my favorite use of time travel in the story (Bioshock Infinite) is different from my favorite game (Majora's Mask). Still, gotta give it to Bioshock. The idea of every change in time making a different split dimension, and having to correct it at the source really appeals to me.
    Kudos to Life is Strange as well, they did an awesome job with the usage of time travel in the story.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Trigger is such a perfect blend of fun and seriousness, which is what I like in works about time travel.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Time travel games are my jam.

I love Ghost Trick. Life is Strange was real good last year too. Both games do a fantastic job executing well-thought-out time travel stories, but also use time travel as the core gameplay mechanic. More games that are centered around time travel should implement the concept in the gameplay and not just in the narrative structure. Bioshock Infinite, Sam and Max Season 2 and Chrono Trigger are all great games and do what they do well, but their classic examples of time travel games were the time traveling solely happens due to story. As a player I enjoy actually getting down a dirty with the time rewind potion and trying to figure out how my magic power can actually fix a situation, and like I said, Ghost Trick and Life is Strange both do this perfectly.

Also, shout out to the Zero Escape series for just being balls to the wall insane with it's time /dimension travel shenanigans. Really looking forward to 3.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steins;Gate

Also, Singularity wasn't bad.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BeachThunder

@memu said:

Also, Singularity wasn't bad.

But it also wasn't especially good. For the most part, that game seemed like the epitome of also-ran. The sniper rifle was cool though.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By cornbredx

You don't have it listed. It's called The Journeyman Project. It's my all time favorite time travel video game. Some are pretty good, but nothing beats FMV adventure game cheesiness. Edit: Oh, and it's still a game you can easily obtain as it's on gog.

So, I can't vote in your poll because this massively popular 20 years ago franchise isn't on it. =P

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Chrono Trigger, by far.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Sands of Time count? If so, that.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's amazing how rock solid Chrono Trigger is even today.... but I'm going with Day of the Tentacle, that art influenced my life.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#30  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I have some fondness for Daikatana, but it'd probably not be my top pick.

Maybe I'd say Achron? It was an ugly game at it's release, and had plenty of issues - but man, a real time strategy game with multiplayer time travel allowing you to go back in time and destroy the enemy's factories so the tank rush they just hit you with never existed ... The parts of that game that worked were so amazing that the many things that didn't could kinda be excused.

I was on the Timeshift side of the grand Singularity-Timeshift battle of the 00's.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Remember Me isn't strictly time travel, but I really liked effectively rewriting the past for an individual by altering their memories.

Strictly speaking, BioShock Infinite. Haven't played Life is Strange yet.

Shout-out to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time though, and it's fucking fantastic ending. I also really loved Warrior Within, probably even more than Sands of Time or Two Thrones, despite the Godsmack. It has some of the best third-person melee combat I've ever played, and a fun time travel story where you of course fuck over a past version of yourself.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sands of Time is a pretty good suggestion, but I have to go with Ocarina.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.