You almost had me.

#1 Edited by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

Watched the VGA trailer.

Disgruntled citizens moved to terrorism? I can see this happening. Targeting bankers and the financial elite that put this country and the world in jeopardy? Sounds cathartic! Dropping a hostage into a street full of ordinary citizens and setting off a bomb? You lost me.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Youve never played a real rainbow 6 game I take it.

#3 Posted by Brendan (8025 posts) -

So...are you just saying that you were into this game as far as you could sympathise with the actions of the antagonists? That's more than a little weird, but ok.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11453 posts) -

You do realize that in the Rainbow Six games, the goal is to shoot the terrorists, not sympathize, right?

#5 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

The bomb part was awesome. I never played a Rainbow 6 game(Only heard things about it...), so i don't know if you will play as the Bomb Guys or if i will shoot the Bomb Guys, but i don't care. If the game is as awesome as the trailer, i will buy it, and i will love it.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

I am absolutely baffled by this thread.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@ShaggE

I am absolutely baffled by this thread.

Whats to get the guy was ok when they where beating up bernie madoff, but when they blew up the random taxis it wasnt. And I totaly agree with him
#8 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

#9 Posted by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

They were making a metaphor. The rich dudes are killing us regular hard working dudes...Or I don't know.

I agree with you though. I don't see how killing the regular joe supports the message they are carrying.

#10 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

I hate it when terrorist bombings don't make sense..Oh wait.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

@Boiglenoight: I'm pretty sure that's how revolutionary/terrorist groups work a lot of the time: harming the very people they claim to be fighting for.

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

It's not exactly unheard of for terrorists to sacrifice bystanders in order to make as big a splash as possible.

#13 Posted by DocHaus (1359 posts) -

I'm guessing the prequel level where you indiscriminately fire pepper spray into a crowd of nonviolent protestors before wailing on them with a nightstick wouldn't have made for good TV.

#14 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I wonder if the guy in the trailer was also about to get a birthday blowjob before getting kidnapped like the other guy in the first teaser trailer.

#15 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

Maybe it's because 90% of terrorists are crazy people who use a 'cause' to justify their own inhumanity?

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

Those taxi drivers had it coming; have you seen what the average fare is like?

#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Because no muslims died on 9/11? They just magically got away scot free apparently!

#18 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

Villains you can empathize with are much more interesting. Depicting everyday Americans who are reacting to being screwed over by the wealthy in this nonsensical way is a missed opportunity to key into the current debate about who's responsible for the economic recession, and the frustration many have about how so few have been brought to justice for fraudulent and destructive financial practices.

#19 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

#20 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Boiglenoight: I'm pretty sure that's how revolutionary/terrorist groups work a lot of the time: harming the very people they claim to be fighting for.

Yeah, sometimes. A lot of times it's reported that way, but in actuality there are groups of people killing their neighbors over ideological / religious differences (e.g. Sunni / Shiite). They live together and the proximity of an attack might affect their own people, but it's largely meant for the opposite population. For instance, a market that many Sunnis frequent is blown up by Shiite extremists. For U.S. viewers, all we tend to hear on CNN or FOX News is "islamic extremists set off an explosion in an open market today in Iraq, killing 10 and injuring scores more." Or rather, some terrorists blew up a bomb, killing in innocent people.

#21 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

George Washington was a terrorist in the minds of the British.

#22 Posted by N7 (3658 posts) -

This trailer was as awesome as possible to sway you from the fact that you'll be shooting dudes nonstop and four hours later it's over.

#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11453 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@DocHaus said:

I'm guessing the prequel level where you indiscriminately fire pepper spray into a crowd of nonviolent protestors before wailing on them with a nightstick wouldn't have made for good TV.

BOOM

#25 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Well Rainbow Six is pretty cool, so I'll hold off on judging it

#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

No but he told his people to hide in the bushes and fire from prone positions, unlike the "honorable" British who marched one by one to their deaths. he was a gorilla fighter, a brute.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
@Dagbiker

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

No but he told his people to hide in the bushes and fire from prone positions, unlike the "honorable" British who marched one by one to their deaths. he was a gorilla fighter, a brute.

That's "guerilla." Also, Washington killed Hessians in their sleep on Christmas. Dude did not give a fuck about holidays.
#28 Posted by Juno500 (472 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.

#29 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Dagbiker

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

That's "guerilla." Also, Washington killed Hessians in their sleep on Christmas. Dude did not give a fuck about holidays.

To be fair, they were Hessians. Case in point:

#30 Posted by Konanda (627 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Yeah, sometimes. A lot of times it's reported that way, but in actuality there are groups of people killing their neighbors over ideological / religious differences (e.g. Sunni / Shiite). They live together and the proximity of an attack might affect their own people, but it's largely meant for the opposite population. For instance, a market that many Sunnis frequent is blown up by Shiite extremists. For U.S. viewers, all we tend to hear on CNN or FOX News is "islamic extremists set off an explosion in an open market today in Iraq, killing 10 and injuring scores more." Or rather, some terrorists blew up a bomb, killing in innocent people.

Perspective is a funny thing. Ernesto Che Guevara for instance was an Argentinian who committed mass murder in other countries of not only the bourgeoisie but any common people who disagreed with his ideologies such as homosexuals, pop musicians, (he considered both to be immoral) and news journalists who questioned his ideals (to name a few) were either killed or thrown in jail or both. Yet despite that and many other acts of great violence the man committed he's become the hero of ignorant angsty teenagers looking to rebel against their suburban parents by buying goods with that iconic image.

It's the definition of irony and must have the man turning in his grave knowing that the same financial elite he opposed are making millions off his face.

Nothing is black and white, it's all shades of grey and something tells me that like most revolutionaries these fictional ones are of the you are either for us or against us type. And a bunch of blown up cabs in the middle of a financial district sends that message quite clearly.

#31 Posted by Intro (1211 posts) -

I thought it was cool.

Better than the Russians are attacking from all sides with nukes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.