Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight II

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 20, 2012

The sequel to Runic Games' Torchlight, it features four new classes, a much bigger world, online co-op play, and a host of other new features.

Anyone know if the game will have a respec option?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

So I played through the Beta with an outlander all the way to lv 21 and didn't like the way I dished out my skill points. Way too much put into the passive skills and just one attack skill. I created a berserker and didn't like it at all. On my third character I decided to go outlander again and ignore the passive skills for the most part. I ended up with 5 skills that I really liked and I enjoyed myself, but I saw other outlanders rolling with different skills that I wanted to try.

It seems like it would be a pain to continually create the same character over and over just to try out some skills that I may or may not like just to figure out what my ideal skill build would be. It sounds like the beta allowed a respec up to lv 10, but do these types of games usually have a respec option?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It allows you to respec up to level 10, after that, anything you choose is set in stone and that's pretty typical for these games. Which is one reason I absolutely appreciate Diablo 3's more free form skill system.

Although there will no doubt be mods that allow you to respec, if you don't mind "cheating".

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

These kind of games should always have some way to respec, you shouldn't punish people for experimenting.

I really like the way Diablo 3 handles it, where you can dynamically change your build and playstyle drastically between fights.

shadowdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By shadowdrone

So, the game proper will have a respec option, you will be able to always respec the last three points you spent. Of course, mods will provide other options, if that doesn't satisfy you.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By RichieJohn

I don't like respecing. Even having the option feels like cheating.

I get why it should be there and I do it but it makes me feel dirty.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TheHT

@RichieJohn said:

I don't like respecing. Even having the option feels like cheating.

I get why it should be there and I do it but it makes me feel dirty.

haha yeah. i feel less dirty when it costs something relatively big to respec though. hella gold would do.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By RichieJohn

@TheHT: That'd be good.

Costing a ton of gold would make sense.

Gold's worthless in loot games anyway so they might as well use it for cosmetic character stuff and respecing.

MalkavianJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MalkavianJD

You can go back atleast by 3 skills and 15 stat points once you reach past Level 10

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By ttocs

I like how they are making the choice seem more permanent. It will allow you to feel a lot more connected to your character and the way in which you are developing him/her.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Loafsmooch

@ttocs said:

I like how they are making the choice seem more permanent. It will allow you to feel a lot more connected to your character and the way in which you are developing him/her.

Yep I like it too.. But for a perfectionist like me it kinda goes both ways.. I can't really start playing a character until I've studied and planned out all the skills, so I don't waste any points in stupid shit.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gike987

I really like how this game handles respecs. The 3 points limit makes it so your choices meaningful and your build permanent while you can still go back if a skill don't work like you expected it to.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fenixrevolution

Mods will allow you to. That was one of the first mods in the original, worry not.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dunchad

You can do a full respect now if you want to, without any mods.

Just find the savegame folder (Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save\) and edit the settings.txt file. Just change CONSOLE :0, so it has 1 instead. Then you can open the console ingame with Insert and type 'resetskills' to get the points back.

I really needed this, so I just don't get it why the Devs don't hand out this information more readily so those that want it, can use it. I'm way too big of a perfectionist to have useless skillpoints in my skilltree - those things just need to go!

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thatdudeguy

@Dunchad: Thanks! That will definitely come in handy later. I'm a noob to action CRPGs, Diablo 3 being my first full experience. As I progress through TL2 I was getting increasingly bummed that I'd need to repeat everything if I wanted to experiment with different skills late in the game.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By linkster7

@Dunchad: @thatdudeguy: Be careful tough seems this gets your character flagged for cheating online. Seems like it works to create a new char open up the console and type " respecpotion " pick up the potion and put in in your shard stash, than using it with whatever char you want. The character that made the potion will be marked a cheater but not the one which used it.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, as I haven't actually tested this my self.

Source: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35347

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By circlenine

You can spawn in and use the respec potion without being flagged as a cheater. There's a console command "doicheat" that lets you test which things will flag a character for cheating and spawning in from console and using a respec potion doesn't mark you as such.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Etnos

@Village_Guy said:

These kind of games should always have some way to respec, you shouldn't punish people for experimenting.

I really like the way Diablo 3 handles it, where you can dynamically change your build and playstyle drastically between fights.

in before "omg! dumbed down hate comments"

I agree with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.