Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

This game and steam - enlight me please.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

So I like to pre-oder the Collectors Edition, but I am easily annoyed by all the DRM bullshit. So far Steam was the way to go for me. Also got the last two games in the series through steam. So how does this work. Is there simply a download code in the box? I do not want to pop in a disc in order to play, and I want my automatic updates.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chronologist

If it works the same way as Empire, you put in the disc, and steam litteraly installs the game.. 
    The game is then permanently added to your library, and you do not have to download it. 
    Hope that helps :) 

EDIT: mind you, I didn't get the collectors edition of Empire, so I don't know how that worked, but since it is a steamworks game I'm guessing it works in a similar fashion.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wuddel

And how about DLC. Would that be compatible?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You'll just pop the CD in, enter the CD key and it will install it to steam. From then on, it will be exactly like any other steam game. You'll automatically get updates, DLC from the steam store will work, and if you uninstall it you'll be able to reinstall it by downloading it through steam. 

It's probably also possible to install it without the CD right at the start, by entering the CD key into steam and then downloading it, but I've never actually tried that with a retail steam game.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By VierasTalo
    @MattyFTM said:
    " You'll just pop the CD in, enter the CD key and it will install it to steam. From then on, it will be exactly like any other steam game. You'll automatically get updates, DLC from the steam store will work, and if you uninstall it you'll be able to reinstall it by downloading it through steam.  It's probably also possible to install it without the CD right at the start, by entering the CD key into steam and then downloading it, but I've never actually tried that with a retail steam game. "
    I actually downloaded Civ V using the CD-key from the box and yeah, it worked just fine.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wuddel
    @MattyFTM: Cool. I just ordered the Limited Edition for 33.40 EUR from Amazon compared to the standard Steam version for 50 EUR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.