Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trials of the Blood Dragon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 13, 2016

A Trials game set in the Blood Dragon universe.

Impressions thread

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The aesthetic is cool, but Trials is just not an action-platformer. The shooting and platforming stuff sucks. It's crazy that they thought this level of gameplay was worth putting out for money, especially under the Trials name. The bike part is like you expect, until you have to start shooting while you drive, which, again, sucks. As neat as it looks, the gameplay keeps trying as hard as it can to get away from the fun part of Trials - riding a bike. Really bummed. First time I've felt compelled to get a Steam refund.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it myself, but I did just read this Wot I Think on Rock Paper Shotgun, which makes it sound like it's downright terrible. The article pretty much destroyed any temptation I had to try it.

"This is a disaster, and the biggest surprise about it is that Ubisoft thought it worth releasing."

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks and sounds pretty great. It's like a 90s cartoon reimagining of future-80's.

The bike riding stuff is as good as a usual trials game. There are a couple of riding whilst shooting sections that work really well.

(Jumping over a huge gap, whilst flipping and shooting down a chopper is pretty cool)

The platforming sections just are outright pretty terrible.

I've enjoyed what I have played so far all in all, just powering through the platforming stuff to get to more trials stuff.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually can't get passed the very first level. It's my first Trials game and the bike physics just aren't clicking.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I watched a video of the off-bike sections and whoo-boy, that looks miserable.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it myself, but I did just read this Wot I Think on Rock Paper Shotgun, which makes it sound like it's downright terrible. The article pretty much destroyed any temptation I had to try it.

"This is a disaster, and the biggest surprise about it is that Ubisoft thought it worth releasing."

I played about an hour of it before I had to stop, and yeah, RPS nails it

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All Ubisoft needed to do with Trials was continue the huge variety offered by Trials Evolution, make user levels easier to find and accurately search through, and give players even more new features.

Instead, they released the game without true online multiplayer, split the community with a ridiculous amount of DLC, made DLC packs that contained considerably less value than the previous game, made levels no longer downloadable so you can't play them offline, ruined the physics for pro players with buggy and unpredictable bike physics, ruined the variety by making everything in the future, and so on.

Still worth buying--especially when it's on sale--but this was not at all the sequel to Evo that I wanted.

@webscud said:

I actually can't get passed the very first level. It's my first Trials game and the bike physics just aren't clicking.

Is this a stand-alone title? You really need to play the tutorials to get an idea of what you're doing in these games.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webscud said:

Is this a stand-alone title? You really need to play the tutorials to get an idea of what you're doing in these games.

Yeah, it's standalone. There's no tutorials as far as I can tell.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@webscud said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:

@webscud said:

Weird.

Well, the left stick leans the rider back and forward on the bike. In the air, lean forward to flip forward, and lean back to flip back. When you're accelerating quickly or climbing a ramp, you also need to lean forward. Quickly pushing back and then forward will cause you to jump a bit. It's called a bunny hop, and you need to do this at the end of many ramps in order to make the jump. Speaking of jumping, you normally want to land on your back wheel first.

Hopefully that'll at least get you started in the right direction. If there's really not tutorial in a stand-alone Trials game, I guess that just continues the stupid decisions made by the Trials developers lately, but it's still hard to believe they would ship the game like that.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@webscud said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:

@webscud said:

Weird.

Well, the left stick leans the rider back and forward on the bike. In the air, lean forward to flip forward, and lean back to flip back. When you're accelerating quickly or climbing a ramp, you also need to lean forward. Quickly pushing back and then forward will cause you to jump a bit. It's called a bunny hop, and you need to do this at the end of many ramps in order to make the jump. Speaking of jumping, you normally want to land on your back wheel first.

Hopefully that'll at least get you started in the right direction. If there's really not tutorial in a stand-alone Trials game, I guess that just continues the stupid decisions made by the Trials developers lately, but it's still hard to believe they would ship the game like that.

Unfortunately, there are no tutorials. It just throws you right into the fray. After the first story chapter, I was able to get used to the bike (and I suck at the Trials games lol) so hopefully you will get ahold of it as well @webscud.

I had mentioned this in the other thread, but the platforming & jetpack sections are terrible control wise. I cursed so loudly during those sections that I'm pretty sure my neighbors heard me lol.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

They took a really cool aesthetic and a great bike game, and then made 2/3 of it into the worst 2D platformer of the decade. Overall, really unimpressed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.