Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tribes Ascend

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 12, 2012

Tribes: Ascend is a fast-paced free-to-play FPS developed by Hi-Rez Studios for the PC. With a focus on projectile weapons, high speed and jet packs, Tribes: Ascend offers unique acrobatic aerial combat with intense class based teamwork.

FAQ - Scrubs Ask - Veterans Answer

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

FAQ Thread for the clueless to ask, and the veterans to answer. Since I got no clue whatsoever, I'll go first...

• How/when do I earn gold? Played a couple of matches. Killed some. Capped some flags. Won some matches. Still no single piece of gold.
    • Repair generators and such? How to do it?
    • Any pro tips? Especially for capture the flag. Also - if I ever earn enough gold to unlock something, what should I buy first?
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight
    • You've gotta buy that gold, duder. Gold is the cashmoney shortcut to unlocks. You should be earning credits, though; the poor man's gold.
    • To repair generators, you've got to use a repair tool. If you're Technician class, you start with one, otherwise there should be little breaker box-looking things on the wall near the generator, run up to those and push G and you'll swap your active weapon out for a repair tool. To get your weapon back afterward, simply touch a supply pad.
    • I'm no pro by a long shot, but flag capping generally seems to be done by the light classes, if you're a heavier class near the enemy flag, the best thing to do is to clear it of mines/turrets/forcefields so a Pathfinder or other light class can yoink the flag. Don't be afraid to just grab it if you're the only one in range and you have the opportunity, though.

As for unlocks, there might be some codes left for an unlock here: http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/event/Tribes-Ascend-Spinfusor-Giveaway

I'd probably focus on unlocking and playing the different classes to find which ones appeal to you and going from there :)

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Seppli said:
    • Any pro tips? Especially for capture the flag. Also - if I ever earn enough gold to unlock something, what should I buy first?
    Well, I'm certainly no pro. I myself have only played the game for about 7 hours, but I feel like I've learned at least a little bit about it during that time. My advice for you would be, since you seem to be interested in the Technician class, to run to the generator at the beginning of every match and place a turret somewhere that will allow the turret to keep the generator covered, but not in a spot that is completely obvious.

Also, if you do decide to buy some gold (which you totally should - I'll explain this in a minute), use it to unlock the Thumper. Sure, it's like $10 in real world money, but it's going to make it so much easier for you to provide some offense as a Technician. Plus, if you buy some gold (even if it's just $10 worth, which is the lowest amount you can buy), then you become a VIP. If you are a VIP then you will permanently receive an extra 50% bonus to XP at the end of every round. This means that if you earn 500 XP in a match, as a VIP you will earn 750 XP. This is a significant increase and it means that you can earn the XP for those 100,000XP unlocks that much faster. I personally wouldn't buy more than $10 worth of gold because if you do then it ruins the feeling of accomplishment you feel when you unlock something really expensive and you can spend that much more time earning unlocks and learning how to play the various classes. Also, you'll be supporting an awesome game that I hope will be around for a long time to come.

Also, as a Technician, the first thing you should think about upgrading is the repair tool, followed by the sentry gun. After that it's fair game, but I'd definitely put some money down for that Thumper.

I hope that helps some. If you've got any more questions, let me know.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By emem
    @Jrinswand: I've played over 60 hours and I didn't even know there's a VIP status that will permanently give you extra XP, thanks for mentioning it.
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jrinswand
    @emem said:
    @Jrinswand: I've played over 60 hours and I didn't even know there's a VIP status that will permanently give you extra XP, thanks for mentioning it.
    No problem. You know those three XP bars that you see at the end of every round? That's where it shows how much you earn as a VIP.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emem
    @Jrinswand: I never payed attention to those bars, because I thought the VIP stuff is for a limited amount of time when you purchase a boost or gold.  

It's a really smart move to make you put at least 10 bucks into the game, but that's as far as I go. I personally don't like buying items, I prefer to "earn" them over time.
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jrinswand
    @emem said:
    @Jrinswand: I never payed attention to those bars, because I thought the VIP stuff is for a limited amount of time when you purchase a boost or gold.   It's a really smart move to make you put at least 10 bucks into the game, but that's as far as I go. I personally don't like buying items, I prefer to "earn" them over time.
    Yeah, absolutely. That's the way I feel too. I'd just rather earn my stuff just a little bit faster is all. And the difference between boosting and being a VIP is that a boost is temporary (and I think you get an extra 100% XP as opposed to an extra 50% XP) while being a VIP is permanent.

I'm not sure that I'd pay full price (or even $30-40) for this game if it wasn't F2P, but I'm more than happy to spend $10.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emem
    @Jrinswand: Yeah I got that, I totally invested 9.99 about 5 minutes ago. ;) 

I think I would totally buy the game at full price, because it's easily the best and most skill based FPS that has come out in a very very VERY long time. It's just so much better than all the boring military FPSs... at least in my opinion.
    Pobearo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Pobearo
    • How does experience work in game? Is it affected by your performance, your team performance, time played, distance traveled, etc?
    • How are people getting like 40,000 points per game? If I do really well I can get about 15,000. What are they doing that I'm not?
    • How do you use the soldier, sentinel, and raider classes effectively?
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@Pobearo said:

• How does experience work in game? Is it affected by your performance, your team performance, time played, distance traveled, etc?
    • How are people getting like 40,000 points per game? If I do really well I can get about 15,000. What are they doing that I'm not?
    • How do you use the soldier, sentinel, and raider classes effectively?
    • It's almost exclusively based on your personal performance. If you travel the longest distance out of anyone in the match, you earn a medal that's worth bonus EXP.
    • Those people are assholes. I have no idea how to get that many points.
    • Soldier: Harass the midfield, defend your base. Sentinel: Stand as far away from everything as possible, somehow get headshots (I can't play Sentinel). Raider: Clear enemy flag for cappers, attack enemy buildings/generator, clear inside of own base.
    Pobearo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pobearo

@Ravenlight: Does the 200 credits you get for dying go towards the amount of experience you're getting?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

@Pobearo said:

@Ravenlight: Does the 200 credits you get for dying go towards the amount of experience you're getting?

Not directly. Credits earned does not equal experience earned. However, you can get bonus EXP for spending the most credits in a match, so you can game the system a bit in certain situations.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jrinswand

Alright guys, I've primarily been playing as a Technician so far, but I get tired of running back and forth between the turrets, radar sensors, and generators all the damn time. I'm more of a defense type of guy (though I wouldn't mind learning how to play an Infiltrator one day), so I decided to explore some of the heavy classes a little more. The Juggernaut's not really my thing because I can't seem to get the hang of his fusion mortar. I built up some XP and eventually had to choose between the Doombringer and the Brute, so I chose the Doombringer, partially because the name reminded me of a song by a doom metal band called Reverend Bizarre. Plus, I like the idea of deployable shields around the flags, although the Brute's fractal grenade also seemed pretty cool.

SO ANYWAY, I've played a few matches with the Doombringer, but I can't seem to get the hang of his chaingun either. Not having splash damage as a crutch is pretty hard. Does anybody have any tips on how to use this class (how to properly set up the shields, how to use the chaingun, etc.)?

Edit: Also, I totally just used that free 250 gold from the Facebook thing to unlock the Infiltrator, so if you guys have any advice about how to play as that class, I would appreciate that as well.

Pobearo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pobearo

@Jrinswand: The doombringer isn't really great until you get mines, the superheavy perk, and in my case the heavy bolt launcher. I couldn't use the chain gun well either because my frames per second is pretty terrible, so the bolt launcher is a lot more comfortable and useful for me. Mines are the main thing though, placing 3-4 mines around the flag and in sneaky locations is the doombringers main source of kills and assists. Getting mines is really what makes doombringer worthwhile.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Giantstalker

Are the tanks any good in this game? I enjoy driving vehicles in battlefield the most and was wondering if the vehicles (specifically tanks) were any good in the new Tribes.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Pobearo said:

@Jrinswand: The doombringer isn't really great until you get mines, the superheavy perk, and in my case the heavy bolt launcher. I couldn't use the chain gun well either because my frames per second is pretty terrible, so the bolt launcher is a lot more comfortable and useful for me. Mines are the main thing though, placing 3-4 mines around the flag and in sneaky locations is the doombringers main source of kills and assists. Getting mines is really what makes doombringer worthwhile.

Yeah, I saw a video on YouTube, or maybe it was Twitch.TV, where a guy was going around just destroying everything with a bolt launcher. It looked incredible. That and your post actually make me want to try to get further into the Doombringer, but with the recent patch that made it easier for TCNs to get XP (does anybody have a link to the patch notes, btw?), I've been stuck on my old standby. Plus, between the Doombringer's bolt launcher and mines, wouldn't that be something like 200,000 XP? That's a ridiculous amount of in-game currency.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PillClinton

Just started playing this for some reason, and I'm liking it well enough, but I'm pretty terrible. What are the best key bindings for jetpack and ski?! I've messed with about a dozen different combos, and sort of settled on left shift for jump+jetpack and spacebar for ski, but it still doesn't feel right. Anyone got hot tips for key bindings?

@Ravenlight: @Jrinswand: @ing you guys 'cause you seem to know what you're talking about.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jrinswand

@PillClinton: I don't know what to tell you, man. Right click for jump and spacebar for skiing has always been fine for me. :/

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PillClinton

@Jrinswand: Yeah, shift and spacebar are fine for me now. Turns out I was just bad and had to get used to it. Gettin' better now, and it's a pretty damn good time. Thanks anyway, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.