Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Umbrella Corps

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 21, 2016

Combining elements of both third and first-person perspectives, Umbrella Corps is a competitive-focused spin-off of the Resident Evil series that pits players as customizable mercenaries sent to uncover the remnants of the original Umbrella Corporation.

4 minute gameplay showcase, complete with insufferable e-sports commentary.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Now, I have nothing against the concept of e-sports - really! I think it's a legit form of competitiveness and I've always bemoaned the GB staff's (initial) constant derision of e-sports in particular. It's pretty much impossible these days to argue against its relativeness in the overall spectrum of gaming. However... just like with everything else in the world, you have things that are executed well and things that... aren't. This looks to be the latter.

On one hand it's at least a decent look at how this game seems to play, but by God is all of the commentary just cringe-inducing. Not only are they breaking the firm rule of trying to 'force' a game to becoming an e-sport without letting it come naturally, but the actual commentary itself is terrible and sounds more like a parody of e-sports commentary than what you'd expect to hear from the real thing! One of the guys sounds like he's a DJ for a wacky morning show from 1993 or something.

That aside, it's nice to see a full match of what this game is about in motion. It does seem rather fast-paced, with a lot of loose and almost slide-y looking animations, which is in complete contrast to most of Capcom's library and their dedication to animation-priority. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of only having the one life, as such shooter modes have never appealed to me much. That is of course only one mode of what'll theoretically be a selection, however, but then this is also the way they've been pushing the game forward to sell to people. Didn't really get to see how the zombies factor into things too much. I know that everybody has a ''zombie jammer'' that makes you essentially invincible to the zombies, and whence destroyed brings them swarming, but far as this video is concerned they didn't seem to register very much in the match itself. Just kinda operated as bullet fodder to make things seem a little more chaotic once the shooting starts. Environments do look rather claustrophobic, though, least for this map, which I quite like the idea of. Forces you to really stay on your toes and works alongside the almost parkour-level of maneuverability they've implemented. Despite the swimmy animations it all looks as if controls well enough, too. Seems to be intuitive in moving into cover to back out again to then leading into a sprint ect., but of course it's a different thing to see how a game is supposed to look in motion to then actually trying to replicate it yourself.

I don't know if this really the game for me anywhoo, but for what they're aiming for it doesn't look terrible? Well mechanically speaking anywhoo. The visuals really push home the fact that this is a budget title. Really dislike the character designs in particular, which are just every shade of generic. Operation Raccoon City may be the worst RE game of all time, but if there's one thing that can be said about it it's that the character designs all looked distinctive.

Also, to add to all of this the game allegedly won't include microtransactions and will feature free map DLC. Both of which are rather surprising really. Given the budget pricing you'd think they would have then dumped a number of MTs to suck out more revenue thattaway. But then that may also tamper with their slightly more 'consumer friendly' image they're trying extremely hard to build.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

LMAO at the two commentators acting like there is insane strategy that needs to be explained about the generic third person shooter gameplay. The play by play guy does totally have a whacky morning zoo DJ inflection on his voice.

This game looks even worse than Racoon City to me. There's lots of wierd animation, the zombies seem to hardly matter unless your jammer is broken (jamming zombies lol), and yeah the design looks like generic military guys. Who is this for? It's crazy they are trying this formula again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This looks bad. =\

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Lucifer

Fake e-sports commentary makes me want to jump into a fire.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like a F2P shooter made for the CIS market.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This commentary is just as hilariously awful as I was hoping. The actual game looks bad as well, really stiff, fake looking animation makes it even funnier when they are describing it as intense close quarters fighting.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a fan of Resident Evil, even enough to JUST like RE6....but now my heart is slowly becoming more and more broken.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

THIS COMMENTARY IS GOLD. THANKS FOR THIS!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do like that the main game mode seems focussed on this one-life type scenario. It's nice that we are seeing way more variety by way of how online shooters function, and it's not just CoD copy+pasted over and over again. This seems innocent enough overall, but then again, outside of 4 and 5, I don't have any real attachment to the Resident Evil franchise.

God I hate e-Sports.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

Uh oh, I think I hurt myself cringing D:

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

I like some parts of it, but they are very small parts in an otherwise underwhelming package.

To be honest I'm shocked that Capcom announced there is more Resident Evil coming in the future. They haven't been able to recapture the magic since the runaway hit with RE4 (although personally I thought RE5 was much better but it's a time and place sort of opinion) and arguably everything they've released since those earlier games has ranged from middling to God-awful. Capcom has better IP's it can push forward, or at least give a chance. Make another Dragon's Dogma, make another DmC, fund the sequel to that 2008 Bionic Commando that had awesome swinging mechanics.. give literally anything else a shot, but stop dumping money into this burning dumpster fire that Resident Evil has slowly become.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Atwa

This is one of the things I dislike the absolute most when it comes to marketing. Trying to force your game to be an esport.

Esports should come about naturally because people like the game, not try to be forced upon a community. It will NEVER work anyway. Look at Evolve, failed so horribly. I think that game would have succeeded more if it was marketed and built to be an atmospheric monster chase. Like Left 4 Dead did, in the beginning that game was extremely tense to me. This completely removes the sense of wonder and really experiencing a game. Instead you get commentators from the first snippets of gameplay that EXPLAIN every single nook and cranny. It removes all sense of finding out what a game is, and instead replaces that with being told what it is, in minute detail.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why is this even a game that people are making.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#14 riostarwind  Moderator

I kinda like the stupid over the top esports commentary. But it only works once because I assume they were trying to be silly. The game itself looks like a well put together third person shooter. Unfortunately a online TPS vs game isn't quite the reason I play Resident Evil games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.