Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

This PSP title is the sequel to Valkyria Chronicles and takes place during a civil war that breaks out following the events of the original game.

The demo is out... thoughts?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By ESREVER

I just finished playing the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 2 that came out today. 

As an avid fan of the first (just recently completed it) I can easily say this is one of my most anticipated games. 
    After playing the demo, I still stand by my previous statement. There are a few things they changed that took some time getting use to (Area changes, Lancers seemed to have learned how to shoot.), but i believe it will provide the same kind of experience as the first one did. 
    I'm a little worried about the characters though, but I'm sure, with time, I'll develop an attachment to them like I did with VC1. 
    The game seems to translate well to the PSP. There is a noticeable change in presentation, but that's to be expected with a transfer from PS3 to PSP. 

Also, there is no Freesia, that I've seen so far. That's some negative points. 

What are your thoughts?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

i'm sorta glad to hear that it's the same. i have to borrow my brother's PSP for this game :> 

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By tallTuck94

i LOVED the first and the japanese demo for 2 but my psp stopped working :/

Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Xabu

It is a Training area and a single Mission; I've finished it just now.

As you know, with only a single analog stick they had to 'adjust' how the camera works just like how Peace Walker had to adjust for aiming.  The triggers rotate the camera left and right, and Triangle and X move the camera up and down.  It seems awkward at first, but you don't really have to pan the camera up and down enough for it to be any issue.  All the real "basics" are the same; CP points, base capturing, AP, command/action mode functions, potentials, etc.  Here's an idea of the big changes I've seen (remember though, we only have one mission and a training pen to work with):

• Weapons feel a fair bit more accurate now.  In VC it felt like you really had to invest into R&D just to get a good ballpark accuracy at anything that might be considered mid-range.  The analog stick feels like it's too sensitive, but the D Pad is very precise for aligning up your headshots after finding your target (the triggers still work to switch targets in action mode).  So not a huge indication necessarily, but pulling off headshots and getting mid-range kills with tanks/lancers overall felt a lot easier.
    • No game over if the Protagonist dies.  That could possibly change in the main game to the classic style, however.
    • Reinforcements are instant.  This is a pretty big bonus, but they are also instant for the enemy as well; so combat might be a bit more intense now.
    • In the demo mission, the map can actually consist of multiple separate areas; capturing the base camp in the demo Map 1 also captures a Base Camp in demo Map 2.  You can then send units to Standby (Retreat) and move them over to the second map; and likewise you may have a separate unit cap for each map section in a total combat map.
    • No Freesia, I will miss her.
    • I really don't like the protagonist.

I haven't seen anything of the new R&D, potentials, etc. and there's also supposed to be something akin to Social Links from the Persona series (or at least, that's what the intro cinematic leads me to believe) as the game runs on a calendar system.  Overall I'm actually rather pleased; I'm actually only about ~25 hours into the first VC and there's quite a few things in this PSP version that I wish would have been in the PS3 version.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By tallTuck94

who the hell cares about freesia? marina is where it's at

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria
    @tallTuck94 said:
    " who the hell cares about freesia? marina is where it's at "
    Marina is the best!

Well, I do have a soft spot for Elysse......

But Marina is the best!
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I wish it was on the PS3. :(

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis

As it's not out on the EU store I did some fiddling and got it from the US store. Demos great, although I still wish it was on the PS3, but this is better than nothing. Seems alot like the original which I'm happy about, dividing the battlefield is strange, I can't tell if this is because of PSP limitation or just a new feature.

Engineers using Pistols now, great idea. Scoring ranks based on number of turns, still a terrible idea.

Was unsure if I would pick it up as it was PSP only, but the demos changed my mind, will definitly pick it up.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By ESREVER
    @Vorbis: Oh wow, engies use Pistols? I don't know how I didn't catch that. Maybe because the demo levels didn't really make it necessary to have an Engie.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " I wish it was on the PS3. :( "
    You and me both... D:
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

such an amazing game too bad its a psp game. it was fucking gorgeous too. 

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By triple07

I wish it was for the PS3 since I don't have a PSP. Damn

Domeuhlome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Domeuhlome

......where is my psp.....

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By RobotHamster

Wish I had a psp to try the game, loved the first one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.