Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Victoria II

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

Grand Strategy game from Paradox Interactive where players take command of any nation on earth to face the political and social upheavals of the 19th century.

Which country do you normally pick first?

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Rasgueado

For those of you who have played through one or more of the paradox style of strategy game, who do you normally pick to play as first? You might have different answers depending on which game we're talking about, so if you want to break them out I'd be interested in seeing them. 

For me it's been this: 

Europa Universalis (2,3) : I usually play as Castille and start at the beginning of the grand campaign. 
    Hearts of Iron: I usually pick  Britain. I blame the old flight sims for this. =) 
    Victoria: Again... I usually pick Castille, but I've decided to stick with the tutorial suggestion of Belgium for a first run this time. 

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

In my first game, i picked prussia. It seemed like the most interesting at the time with the whole "unification of germany" thing but once i did unite germany, i lost interest. As cool an idea the sphere of influence system is, its pretty boring jumping from country to country trying to out bid other major powers for control over smaller nations. I think they should make it more difficult to remove a country from a powers sphere of influence to cut down on the micro management. 

Im thinking about starting a game as belgium and try to take over the neatherlands/luxemburg, then take on the smaller german states once i gain some industrial power. though i dont know how i would deal with prussia and austria once i started gobbling up all the german states. 

Im also looking for a reason to liberate Ireland but i have no idea how i would go about doing that.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

I try to play out being as liberal as possible, just to test run all the unrealistic ideals that pushed me out of political science in the first place. 

Still hoping to pull off some form of anarchy in a smaller country, but still no idea how I can pull this off. Not a lot of straight Anarchist political parties hanging out back then.

Definitely tried to do some triage on the looming Trail of Tears thing when I played the demo, though, but that didn't seem to impact anything. 

Though, I did piss off a lot of the slavers by constantly repressing them (before realizing I was becoming just as bad as uber right-wing despots in doing so.) 

I definitely started with Belgium, but that didn't go too well for me. (I got conquered.) 

Then I switched gears to Russia. Once I started getting troops built up, everybody wanted to be friends with me. It was great.
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MrSnow

Me? first para game ever. I played multiple games with different states and am hating infamy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.