Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Boy

Platform »

The Virtual Boy pioneered portable 3D gaming, but became Nintendo's biggest (and arguably only) market blunder. Despite innovative display technology, various design and marketing mistakes doomed it to poor sales and quick retirement. Fewer than two dozen titles came out worldwide and only 14 in North America.

The Virtual Boy Safety Manual

ProdTally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ProdTally

So, your Gran-ma has given you a couple of hundred bucks for Christmas and what with all this talk about virtual reality, you’ve foolishly decided to squander it on a Virtual Boy.

And no, this isn’t 1995, it’s 2015 and you’re a collector. “What harm is there in that?” you ask yourself rhetorically.

Well, let’s have a look at the safety manual! I have the Japanese version, but I’m sure the pictures will tell a thousand words:

No Caption Provided

First of all we see this guy is going to have major back problems in the future. And the console itself has already attached itself parasitically to his face.

No Caption Provided

The first safety instruction seems to be “Do not animate your Virtual Boy and let is start fires”. This seems obvious as he has no arms to work a fire extinguisher.

No Caption Provided

“Do not use your Virtual Boy as a polo mallet.” He will be understandably upset with this development and seek revenge.

No Caption Provided

“Do not put your Virtual Boy in direct sunlight.” I’m guessing other rules include don’t get him wet and never, ever feed him after midnight.

No Caption Provided

“Do not let your Virtual Boy make Nerve Gas.” He obviously doesn’t have the correct safety equipment.

No Caption Provided

“Don’t humiliate your Virtual Boy.” He gets embarrassed very easily and no one wants to use a sweaty console.

No Caption Provided

“Do not fuse and become one with your Virtual Boy.” That shit is how wars start.

No Caption Provided

“Do not force-feed your Virtual Boy Screwdrivers to make him barf!” He’s skinny enough as it is, he’ll get an eating disorder you insensitive bastard!

No Caption Provided

“Do not spit on your Virtual Boy and try and clean it with your fingers.” You’re not its mother.

No Caption Provided

“Do not throw your Virtual Boy into a Hobo’s trash-can fire.” He will not provide much heat.

No Caption Provided

“Do not drop your Virtual Boy.” That’s not how you kill him. It will require dark magics and the power of Satan to accomplish that task.

No Caption Provided

“Basically do not play, or even own, a Virtual Boy.” You have been warned.

But to be fair, even after those warnings, I got one away. And truth be told I do enjoy some of the games, Jack Bros is decent and Bomberman: Panic Bomber is addictive. Does anyone else out there enjoy their Virtual Boy? Which games?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is incredible stuff. Thanks for posting this.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is fuckin' great.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Have you played the Wario game?

I wonder how people will look back at the Oculus Rift in 20 years. <o><o>

ProdTally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, WarioLand for Virtual Boy is actually a really good game! It's clever and at least tries to utilise the 3D aspect. It's fun and responsive, but it will hurt your eyes for any more than 20 minutes a time, so I haven't played through it yet.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, WarioLand for Virtual Boy is actually a really good game! It's clever and at least tries to utilise the 3D aspect. It's fun and responsive, but it will hurt your eyes for any more than 20 minutes a time, so I haven't played through it yet.

VB Wario is my absolute favorite Mario related game. I have played it extensively for hours at a time with no eyestrain. I also use glasses when I need to focus. I dont think I am special, I just think most people never bothered to adjust the thing correctly or have never played the VB at all and are flat out lying because thats cool.

ProdTally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm constantly adjusting the top to focus it, it still wears me out, but I usually do need reading glasses under normal circumstances. It's almost annoying that such a crappy system actually has some really worth while games on it.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I remember the Virtual Boy! My dad picked one up from Toys R Us for like, $20 after they killed it. I didn't have Wario, but I did have that sick pinball game, as well as some crazy japanese shooter and Mario Tennis.

I wonder if it's still in my parent's closet...

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This is awesome. I wish I had my PocketStation packaging with me (it's in a box at my dad's house). That manual had some pretty magical stuff too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, if dropping it won't kill it, I'll just drop it repeatedly for funsies.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Virtual Boy was a bomb-ass console/gimmick/thingy. For me it was basically a Red Alarm machine. Absolutely loved that game.

But then, I've always taken extremely well to 3D, with the only headaches or eye strain I've ever gotten being from the ol' red n' blues, and even then only sometimes.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The virtual boy is terrible. Stop spreading lies.

Although, it is true you should never feed it after midnight.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Wow. Thanks for sharing this stuff. Some of the images are disturbing as hell.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

"Do not practice amateur orthodontics on your Virtual Boy."

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Seriously, what is going in that smoke picture? Is that a flare on the ground?

ProdTally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That warning is actually about dust. You're not meant to leave it in dusty places. Frankly, if it's that dusty the Virtual Boy is probably going to be the least of your worries.

But yeah, smoking is still really common, and cheap, in Japan. I have the Famicom version of the Power Glove, still in box, but it smells awful because the previous owner was a smoker.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haha good stuff

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.