Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Select Wii Titles Coming to Wii U Starting Today

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mbradley1992

For those who missed the Nintendo Direct, starting today, several Wii games are coming to Wii U.

Today: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Edit (Had this backwards): January 22: Punch-Out!! / (Donkey Kong Country Returns in EU)

January 29: Metroid Prime Trilogy

Later: Kirby's Adventure, Sin and Punishment 2 (these two are confirmed ONLY for EU currently), more coming soon

Quick Facts: Price will be 8.99 pounds/9.99 Euros (no word on USD pricing yet) for the week of release only, then goes to 17.99/19.99 respectively. Games with Wii Classic Controller support are going to support the Wii U gamepad. Wiimotes/Nunchuks will still be required for games that need them.

So, who's picking these up? For the price, SMG2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy will be awesome buys, especially for those who didn't score a copy of Metroid Trilogy before the price went sky high.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

That's rad but I don't really agree with the selection. There's no Kirby's Epic Yarn OR Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

Also would have been nice if they did a deal with Ubisoft to get No More Heroes 1 and 2 on there.

Dokapon Kingdom would cause me to run out and buy a Wii U right now.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mbradley1992
    @corevi said:

That's rad but I don't really agree with the selection. There's no Kirby's Epic Yarn OR Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

I never played Dreamland or Punch-Out!!. I think SMG2 and Metroid are strong, the rest are kind of misses. Hopefully this is just a start?

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Metroid Prime Trilogy? I am beyond ecstatic right now, that thing is impossible to find around here for anything close to a reasonable price. I also never got around to playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 so seeing it pop up on the Wii U all of a sudden for a surprisingly low (to me, at least) price, it's going to be hard to avoid it now.

Surprised to see Sin and Punishment there too, that was easily one of my favourite Wii games, no problem buying that again whatsoever.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cerberus3dog

Are these still rendered out at 480i like the original games? I would assume so but I haven't heard anything.

SMG2 is my jam.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Corevi
    @cerberus3dog said:

Are these still rendered out at 480i like the original games? I would assume so but I haven't heard anything.

I imagine it will be rendered at 480i but displayed at something higher, similar to how the PS3 does PS2 games.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 2, so I'd like to play that. But if the games are still SD, then that kinda kills any excitement I have for playing it. I'd rather pay a little more and have it be in HD.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMG2 is my jam.

Yeah, no graphical changes. Same 480p, I believe.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 2, so I'd like to play that. But if the games are still SD, then that kinda kills any excitement I have for playing it. I'd rather pay a little more and have it be in HD.

Dolphin is a thing, and you could even play it with a normal controller that way.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Oh man hell yeah I've been wanting to play the trilogy & SMG2 so badly but havent gotten to them just yet.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

SMG2 was just a re-hash of SMG, so pass. I may pick up that Trilogy though.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And after 2 years! I'm still waiting for ds and gba games to make a regular appearance on the 3ds eShop...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: A. I've never bought the game so I wouldn't feel right pirating it. B. You are vastly overestimating the power of my computer.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Games with Wii Classic Controller support are going to support the Wii U gamepad."

Did Metroid Prime Trilogy support the classic controller? I wanna see what the fuss was about with those games but have no interest in playing with a wiimote.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And after 2 years! I'm still waiting for ds and gba games to make a regular appearance on the 3ds eShop...

I think it is has been theorized that the 3ds isn't powerful enough to emulate gba games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero

@i_stay_puft said:

I am also trying to keep that dream alive, though apparently GBA games barely run on the 3DS.

Supposedly, the way they ran the GBA games for the Ambassador Program was by basically making the system think it was running a DS game (which is a separate chip in the 3DS), and whenever the 3DS is using its DS chip it's basically running totally difference hardware, meaning none of the 3DS system-level stuff (suspend your game to pop out to a menu, look at system-level stuff like note-taking or notifications) was active. It sounds like they did it to appease fans, but they're not so confident that it's worth selling for money since it doesn't work nearly as smoothly as the other Virtual Console stuff (the 3DS can emulate NES and Game Boy games like it's nobody's business, but it sounds like the hardware would have difficulty emulating SNES or GBA games).

No idea why DS games aren't available on the eShop.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Personally, I'm disappointed that SMG and Metroid Prime trilogy aren't being released with HD graphics. I love those games, but would love 'em more if I got higher def visuals.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who skipped the Wii last generation and plans to pick up a Wii U this is amazing news. This is perfect timing to because after the Metriod Prime run on AGDQ i looked up Trilogy and was shocked to see how expensive it was.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Y2Ken

I picked up SMG2, but Kirby's Epic Yarn is the game I'd really like to see come to Wii U. Hopefully one for the future.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cookiemonster: Except it had Yoshi. I don't understand the problem.

Exactly, all they did was add Yoshi, which I wasn't that into. It felt like the exact same game to me, and was a real let down after how much I enjoyed the first.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMG1 is a better game than 2, shoulda put that one on there instead.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I bought Super Mario Galaxy 2, because it was $10 and I've never played it before. And it's pretty clear that Nintendo did absolutely no work to make it look any better, so it looks kinda awful in SD. If you're going to get it, I'd say do it before it goes back to full price in a week because for $20 the game should be at least slightly unrezzed or something.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Corevi

@mooseymcman: I dunno. It's not that old and it still sells for $40~.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Super temped at MG2 at half price as it always seems to be on the pricier side for an older game here.

Sin & Punishment is incredible.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Metroid Prime Trilogy is just fantastic, over here in Europe copies are sparse, they didn't reprint them either. Copies can go for as much as 150 dollars.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't get behind the idea of paying for these games again without having any kind of visual enhancements. I know Nintendo isn't known for doing things like that, but it would be great to see games like SMG in HD. Watching Matthew Matosis' review of SMB just made me realize how much better Mario looks in HD.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I recall correctly, none of the Xbox Originals or PS2 Classics had any kind of special treatments graphically. They were both emulated. So, I don't see any reason to be mad at Nintendo for doing the same thing. I'd rather see a Wii U disc release of both Galaxy games, together, remastered. But that's not what we got. And for $10, they are keeping pace with what has been done in the past by Sony and Microsoft.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, awesome move to put metroid prime trilogy on there. I hear it's hard to find.

It's one of the best trilogies of all time. I have the physical version of it and it's well worth every penny, especially at such a low price on the eshop. Too bad you guys will miss out on the awesome steel box and sleeve of the physical version though.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

@gunslingerpanda: Don't think it does, however I think the Wii controls are actually an improvement over the GCN version which were a bit weird. In the original versions the C-stick swapped weapons so left sick was move and turn and you needed to hold L to look vertically. It worked well enough at the time thanks to having a lock on but going back is a bit rough. Wii version fixed all that.

Wow, that sounds special. Still, I don't feel like ever giving the Wiimote the time of day again, so guess I won't bother.

Bumbuliuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Never got SMG2, so this was a nice treat to buy. Never been a fan of Donkey Kong since I never had a Super Nintendo. But I'm looking forward to the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I only played the first one on Gamecube.

Would love to see Kirby's Epic Yarn, I missed out playing it, and the art style looks so amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.