Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Some questions from a new player

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tsolless

So I decided to try out the 10 day trial for the game. Not sure yet whether I will actually get into the game or not, but I have some questions that I am having difficulty finding the (current) answers to, or want more input. Thanks in advance for helping out.

1. I am a trial account. I can't seem to talk to anyone in anyway, every time I try to talk in the /say channel, the game gives me a message about being a trial account and having a limited number of /tells. Googling shows me that trial accounts should be able to talk, but this is probably outdated I'm guessing.

2. PvP or normal? I'm leaning towards PvP since apparently world PvP isn't a big thing anyways, and it adds an extra dynamic that I can get into later. Remember, totally new to the game, what is your thoughts?

3. What kind of server should I get into? I think that a decent economy is very important to me and I worry that the suggested low pop servers will not have a good economy running. On the other hand, I want to get into a server that is somewhat tolerant of new players, something that servers with a high pop apparently don't have?

4. Alliance or Horde? Other than lore, does it really matter? Is it that important to find a server with a balance between the two, which is advice I've seen elsewhere?

5. And the big one. Which class? In the beginning I will mostly be doing solo PvE stuff, but I want a class that will eventually be helpful to groups when I want to do that, which I will. Also, some PvP ability would be nice. I enjoy using magic but also upgrading armour, so I'm wondering about the paladin. Is that a good class for a beginner, does it actually use magic (I am under the impression it uses buffs, debuffs, and heals, which sounds good for me.

That's all for now, I think.

Silenthitz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Silenthitz2
    @tsolless 
     I'll try to answer what I can, can't guarantee it will all be accurate.  
    1. They did this to prevent gold farmers trying to spam with trial accounts, sucks for the real people, but that's how it is.
    2. I've been on a PVP server from day one. It does add more of a "thrill" being in contested areas where you can be both hunter and hunted. I've never had anyone camp me for longer than a few minutes and honestly enemy players don't bother me that much while questing. If you get corpse camped for more than like 5 minutes, just log out and come back in a bit, the person will have moved on.
    3. I wouldn't worry too much about this. On the economy side of things, lower pop may mean you have to pay higher prices for materials (for crafting) but it will also mean you get higher prices on your stuff. Busy servers on the other hand are really a race to the bottom in undercutting people on the  Auction house. From a PVP Battlegrounds/Group content perspective you're also fine because there are many options to randomly match in with people from other servers, so no trouble even on lower population servers.
    4. Paladin is as a good a choice as any. Being able to heal yourself properly is great for soloing content. People will say other classes are the best for beginners, but honestly they're all pretty much the same (as in the learning curve).

Enjoy.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

2) I've always played on a pvp server, yes it can be annoying but it can also be a lot of fun. Just hope someone doesn't decide to camp you with their high level because they're bored (new expansion tonight, guess they'll be busy!)
    3)  Like silent said, don't worry, if you're that serious you'd want to go with a popular server or go check out the auction house on each server before you decide to stick. 
    4)  What races do you like? I like the Orcs, Undeads, Trolls and Goblins, their lore and way of war suit me way more then the Alliance noble goals. It really doesn't matter which side you play on, both sides have their little kids and idiots, in the end its about what you want your character to be.
    5) People will say Paladin, but please do us all a favor and roll something else. Paladins are a lot of fun but I really think they make the game too easy. 
    Shaman, Warrior or Rogue are also fun classes to play and level as.

But again, your world, your choices, go with whatever you like! =)

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Onced

2. I'm going to go against the grain and suggest you stick to a normal server first. While PvP realms have their own particular flavour and experience, it's probably best if you learn the game in a way that prevents others from impeding your progress intentionally.  

3. As others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about which server you're focusing on. If you're intent on learning more about the, for want of a better word, culture of the server, read the realm forums. 

4. Both sides have their own unique quest chains, flavour and appeal. Just pick a race you're happy with and kick it.  

5. Considering the vast redesigning of old (soon to be new) world Azeroth and the radical reimplementation of classes and their functionality, you could pretty much breeze through content on anything (if you're going as a healer/tank stick to LFD, questing won't be enticing with low dps margins). 

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @tsolless:  as far as class selection goes decide on what you want to do first, if you dont mind longer wait times between dungeons later on then go with a hunter or warlock both are stupid easy to level and can do very high DPS later on. If you want to be a healer Druids and priests are probably the two easiest, at least to my knowledge. If you want to tank pick something that wears plate. If you want to keep your options open to do all 3 make a druid or pally, but if you make a pally people will hate you.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By galiant

I'd recommend a Paladin or Druid, since they can fill any role. That way, if you get sick of healing, you can try tanking. Or DPS. Or in the case of the Druid, you even have a choice between ranged/melee DPS.  

@tsolless:

@Dizzyhippos said: 

" [...] but if you make a pally people will hate you. "  

There is hate for all classes for one reason or another, but it's not like Paladins are exclusively hated. Don't be afraid to pick a Paladin if that's your fancy! I've been a Paladin myself since I started playing in 2005, and I'm still loving it. Changed my race though =P   

@TaliciaDragonsong
    said:

" Paladins are a lot of fun but I really think they make the game too easy. "

I can't say I agree. Most classes have been overhauled to the point where they are all rather easy to play. WoW isn't the most difficult game, after all =P
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By stinky

1. weird, i dont remember a restriction ever on trials. 

2. pvp or normal, up to you and what you find fun. only difference is some zones flag you for pvp where you can battle in the world. 
    or go normal and pvp only when you decide to. i do normal as i dont like being jumped when out doing quests.  normal just means doing pvp only when you want to.

3. doesn't matter. horde side has a lower econly in general for buying mats, but who cares at the end of the day.

4. doesnt matter. 

5. up to you, no one can tell you how to have fun. 

biggest determining factor in all this is going where you have friends to play with. 

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lucifer

1. It's to prevent spam 
    2. PvP 
    3. Medium-full, not low 
    4. Choose the race with the best animations and racial and coolest race/class combinations
    5. Druids are op 

//jack268

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Juvarial
    @Galiant said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

" Paladins are a lot of fun but I really think they make the game too easy. "

I can't say I agree. Most classes have been overhauled to the point where they are all rather easy to play. WoW isn't A difficult game, after all =P "
    Fixed it for you. And try out a rogue-If you go PvP which you should you can just stealth and run away. Its great for new players who will generally find one way or another to die-Right before that happens being able to "OHSHIT" insta save yourself is extremely useful.  Great for PvP if you never played one in Classic but thats another story. GLHF. 
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By plop1920

Elemental Shaman sounds like what you want. They use mail ( second highest armor level) and a shield, provide great magic damage and group buffs, and can off heal a lot better than a Ret pally or feral druid. Ret pallies don't really use magic, almost all of their damage is physical. Also, if you ever get into arena or rated battlegrounds, elemental shaman are the better choice

Also, race does matter! I wont go into detail but a lot of arena players consider horde to have the best racial abilities for pvp, goblins rocketjump is clearly so much better than any other racial I wouldn't be surprised if it got hit with the nerf stick during s9

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tsolless

Thanks for all the responses.

@TaliciaDragonsong

said:

People will say Paladin, but please do us all a favor and roll something else. 

@Dizzyhippos said:

but if you make a pally people will hate you. "

Could somebody elaborate on this?

@Onced

said:

if you're going as a healer/tank stick to LFD,  

Remember, new to the game and it's unique terms. LFD stands for the looking for dungeon addon?

So yeah, I'll look more into paladins, druids, shamans, and mages I guess.

edit:
    Ooh, shamans do look neat with their "glyphs" and such. Comments on the class?
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsolless: 
    Aye, LFD is the random dungeon finder which will be available at level 15.
    Pick your role (healer/damage/tank) and go random or pick certain dungeons and you're in line for a good time! 

The paladin thing, well here's the thing.
    Paladins are quite strong, their damage is high in all of their talent trees, they got self healing, survivability and lots of tricks to keep yourself and others going without really having to worry about your hp/resources.
    While this is fun, many people glance upon this as "easy mode",
    Not saying its a bad class, but its just very clear to me that magic damage (which Paladins use in most of their attacks) just hurts a lot more then normal blows.
    Combine that with the rest of their tricks and they're quite unstoppable.

For their easy to get into stigma, they get a lot of flak.
    Sure this is unfair and a bit harsh, but a lot of people generally dislike Paladins.
    Especially the Horde side ^^
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @tsolless:  For a long times paladins weren't really great at anything and recently (and by recently I mean a year or two) blizz has made them kind of a catch all, and because of this fact there are a metric crap ton of them on almost every server. Also most pvp people hate them because they have plate armor which makes them stupid hard to kill as well as multiple self heals, if you go into combat against a pally that knows what there doing you basically have to kill them 3 times where as they only have to kill  you once.

As I stated earlier if your only interested in doing damage make a warlock or a Hunter both have pets that do most of the work for you, mages can do the same to apparently although I don't have much experience as one so I cant confirm this. If you dont know what you want to do late game make a druid, they do everything tanking, ranged DPS (damage), Melee DPS, and there healing has consistently been the easiest to use. Also keep in mind if you plan on making a paladin that just because they are crazy powerful now it doesn't mean they will be that way forever. People used to say the same thing about rogues being over powered and blizz finally got around to doing something about it.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

ALWAYS JOIN PVP! 

I swear to god don't be a care bear baby.  Care Bear servers aren't fun, trust me.   

Pro-tip, you going to waste your life in a bubble of a shell?  Hell no, nut up and join the server called SkullCrusher, go to Booty Bay around level 25 and chill there.  Fun things happen, you'll become a man!   

But serious, DO NOT JOIN A CARE BEAR SERVER!  IT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE POINT OF ROGUES AND OTHER CLASSES!

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @tsolless:  Also the only reason to joining a regular server and not a pvp one is if your really into the whole role play thing, and as far as which faction its kinda hard to say it changes from server to server on my ally server horde are the dominant pvp, where as my horde server ally are. Not trying to start a flame war but most ally players at least in my experience tend to be more helpful and where as on horde you tend to get the haha noob answer most times
    Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
    TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll

1. Once updated you have no restrictions, they just want to you experience the gameplay with a trial account.

2. The difference between a PVP and PvE server is that you can engage in PvP with another player in the open world on a PvP server.  You have to turn PvP on when playing on a PvE server to do this, and then find some one else with it turned on.  Essentially what this means is you may find it very annoying when questing if some one decided to kill you, but, you can also kill them if they are hindering your questing or experience gains.  Since most new players are not very good at PvP they tend to favor PvE servers.  You can still join Battlegrounds and Arenas, and world PvP on PvE servers, you just have a choice not to get killed in open world.  The real advantage to PvE servers is that some random character 40 levels higher then you can't one shot you and run away.  Personally, I play on a PvP server because I have always played on a PvP server and enjoy them more.

3. I would go high pop if you can.  When you first join the game, they will suggest servers for you to join.  They just made a official post about servers for new players and explained that some servers still have the majority of the population under level cap.  But those server are more then likely going to be low pop.  I have played on both low pop and high pop servers and to me, high pop have more going on and I would suggest you find one you like and start there.

4. The only thing different between Alliance and Horde game play wise is there racial skills.  Some people will say that younger people play Alliance and more mature people play Horde, that is basically crap.  If you really like one race, play it.  If you are into the lore and you want to pick a race that you like, spend some time at WowWiki.com and look over the races and faction leaders, you might find the choice easier once you understand each races motivations.  Also if you have your heart set on a certain class, that will make the race choice a little harder since not every race can be every class.

5. Any class that can heal is a very forgiving class for beginners.  Priests, Druids, Shamans and Paladins.  Priests and Shamans being the even more forgiving of the group because your gear will help your heals even while not specced to heal.  A lot of new players play Ret Paladins because the are extremely easy to play even though most people don't play them very well.   After classes that heal, tanks should be your next choice.  Warrior, Death Knight, Druids and Paladins.  Taking less damage makes them more forgiving to player mistake, Death Knights have a lot of self heals which makes them easy to level but you have to get a character to level 55 before you can play one.  Warriors can be tough but can dish out a lot of damage.  With both Healers and Tanks you will get groups very quickly since you provide a vital role.  Last I would say that the damage dealers are the hardest for new players to level.  Mages, Warlocks, Hunters and Rogues.  Warlocks and Hunters have pets, which make them a little harder to learn but gives them a permanent tank while questing.  Mages and Rogues are probably the hardest to level as a new player.  Of course saying that a mage is harder to level then a priest really doesn't mean anything if you enjoy playing a Mage more.  It all comes down to personal preference and after Cataclysm, every class is very easy to learn to play for new players. 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268
    @tsolless: Every class has glyphs. 

Shamans are pretty strong at the moment, I do not know yet how it will shift at 85, but currently the damage output as Elemental spec is a lot better than it was before, and Restoration shamans have always been a pretty good choice.  

I play an elemental shaman, and I think it's a blast because it works both versus other players(PvP) and mobs (NPC monsters/bosses, or 'PvE' if you don't know). You have a spell called Lava Burst, which is guranteed to critically strike if your target has the Flame Shock damage over time effect on them, and it hits like an absolute truck. You also have a talent called "Fulmination" which causes your Lightning Shield to occasionaly gain a stack when you hit a target with Lightning Bolt. When you reach 7 or more stacks, you can unleash those stacks with Earth Shock for MASSIVE DAMAGE. 

I'm not as sure on how enhancement is doing and such, but I think they're pretty okay dps(damage per second, or damage dealers), their damage is more constant and not as reliant on the big hitters. People say enhancement is a good leveling spec, but I prefer elemental because you can one-shot most mobs with Lava Burst. 

Restoration shamans used to be all about a spell called Chain Heal, which hits your target, and then bounces to another target, from which it bounces to another target. The healing is reduced with every jump. A shaman who stacked the haste stat could have an insane casting speed on his chain heals, and just spam it in the pile of melee dpsers and just keep everyone topped up without losing mana. In Cataclysm, mana is going to be an issue, so chain heal spamming won't be viable. In Cataclysm restoration shamans will likely use Chain Heal more wisely and conservatively, and use Healing Wave, a single target heal with a ~2.5 second cast, more. If there's an emergency you use Healing Surge, which is a weaker heal with shorter cast time, but with the same mana cost. Shamans will also gain the Healing Rain spell, which allows us to target an area and channel (continuously cast the spell for a duration) a healing AoE(Area of Effect) spell. 

Overall, the shaman is a pretty good class, because you can choose between being melee dps, ranged dps and healer. I still think druids are very solid though, because they can choos every role (tank, ranged dps, melee dps, healer) and are very strong in PvP. This may however change at level 85.
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By plop1920

Pvp servers vs Pve servers barely matter anymore. I don't see any allies my level to kill while I'm questing, as most people just sit in the cities using the lfd to level. And now that you can fly pretty much anywhere, good luck finding people to fight
    :(

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    " ALWAYS JOIN PVP!  I swear to god don't be a care bear baby.  Care Bear servers aren't fun, trust me.    Pro-tip, you going to waste your life in a bubble of a shell?  Hell no, nut up and join the server called SkullCrusher, go to Booty Bay around level 25 and chill there.  Fun things happen, you'll become a man!    But serious, DO NOT JOIN A CARE BEAR SERVER!  IT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE POINT OF ROGUES AND OTHER CLASSES! "
    Please Kaos, the world has changed so much since your adventurous gankings 4 years ago. =P
    Booty Bay is next to empty, moreso with the coming expansion tonight.
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By plop1920
    @gakon5
    I don't think we need to recommend classes based on group performance for new players.  Ultimately, for now they don't care (probably) which classes are the highest DPS, or which healers are most viable in raids.  For one, with the expansion a mere 24 hours (!) away, and a good three or four tiers of raiding content ahead of us, it's hard to say what classes and specs will be viable in the endgame.  Also, I think a new player should be more concerned about what playstyle they prefer rather than what class has the best damage output.  Every class is going to viable in some way most likely anyway.
    The beta was out for months, and a majority of the first pve content we will see was available too. I'm pretty sure many people have an idea of what specs are going to be on top. But yeah you're right about every class being viable
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By galiant
    @tsolless: I feel that it is very important to tell you that people hate on everything in this game. It won't matter which class you roll, there will be people that think that particular class is too strong or cheap or easy mode or whatever. Don't let this influence your decision. Pick a class that sounds like fun and choose a race you think you can stand looking at for hours and hours.  The game is constantly changing too so there are no "safe bets" when it comes to picking the highest DPS class or the best tank. 

Personally I think Blizzard is doing a pretty good job of balancing classes and making every class do their job well, especially if you compare it to the mess that was vanilla WoW.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By melcene
    @tsolless Personally I usually do recommend that people roll a pally as their first toon.  Yes, it's easy mode, but easy mode is the way to go when it's your first real toon. 
    BRG9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By BRG9000

My best advice for choosing a class is to think about how you like to play other RPGs, whether Diablo or Oblivion or whatever. Do you like to get in the enemies' face with a sword and shield (rogue/warrior) or stand back in relative safety and blast them from a distance (hunter/mage/warlock)? Do you enjoy having a pet to sic on whatever you want to see die (hunter/warlock)? Also, have you played/enjoyed cooperative RPGs and enjoyed playing more of a supporting role in your party (then pick a class that can heal - priest, shaman, druid, paladin).  

Levelling a class to 20 or so gives you a pretty solid idea of how a class plays, now that the progression has been retooled in Cataclysm. So don't stress too mucn right now, and when you get to that point pause and consider whether it's the class you want to stick with. Maybe you'll want to level another class to 20 to compare before deciding. Since each race has a revamped unique starting zone, you can try a couple classes without the gameplay being very repetitive, as long as you go with different races.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.