If I buy just World of Warcraft....

#1 Posted by thedukehimself (13 posts) -

Will I see the changes from cataclysm? Also, I'm hearing that the early level have already been updated? The WOW trial I'm downloading is 4.0.0.12911. Thanks for your help!

#2 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Yes, you will. You just won't be able to progress past level 60.

#3 Edited by xXwindoverXx (290 posts) -
@oatz said:

"Yes, you will. You just won't be able to progress past level 60. "

This 

Edit: You shuold buy burning crusade as well to get to 70! 
Right now Vanilla Wow is only $5 ans Burning Crusade is also only $5 on worldofwarcraft.com
#4 Posted by thedukehimself (13 posts) -

Does anybody know if the game has been updated already?

#5 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -
@thedukehimself said:
" Does anybody know if the game has been updated already? "
All the new changes to the world are in. We just can't access the brand new 80-85 zones and other features until the 7th of December.
#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -
@thedukehimself said:
" Does anybody know if the game has been updated already? "
Essentially the Cataclysm has already happened. If you go into the game you'll see the 'Cataclysm' version of Azeroth and there's no way to revert it back to the original version.
#7 Posted by xXwindoverXx (290 posts) -
@thedukehimself said:
"Does anybody know if the game has been updated already? "

Yeah, it's updated. 

But occasionally they are throwing out hot fixes that are around 50mb a pop
#8 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Yes you will see the new WoW, the old one is gone forever. 
#9 Posted by PenguinDust (12568 posts) -

You should get Burning Crusade too because it adds two additional races, the Blood Elves and the Draenei.  If you want to play a "pretty" Horde character, your only choice is the Blood Elves. 

#10 Posted by Tyashki (213 posts) -

Base WoW: 
Levels 1-60, including all the old world changes.  

Burning Crusade:  
Level 61-70.
Blood Elves, Draenei, Outlands. 
Jewelcrafting Profession. 

Wrath of the Lich King: 
Level 71-80. 
Death Knight hero class, Inscription profession. 

Cataclysm: 
Level 81-85. 
Goblins, Worgen. New 81-85 zones.
Archaeology secondary profession.

#11 Posted by onimonkii (2449 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" You should get Burning Crusade too because it adds two additional races, the Blood Elves and the Draenei.  If you want to play a "pretty" Horde character, your only choice is the Blood Elves.  "
while true i'd think they would be the race with the most outdated starting area now (along with the other tbc race), since the new races are obviously new, and the old ones have been redone.
#12 Posted by PenguinDust (12568 posts) -
@onimonkii:  Yeah, but then you just do what a lot us used to do...hoof it to somewhere cooler.  You die a lot but it's not impossible.  I walked a gnome from Ironforge to the Draenei start once.  That was because I took the Dreanei I created there and walked her to Stormwind/Goldshire.   The other option is to get a mage portal to one of the new areas.  All I am saying is that if you are going to play a character for potentially 85 levels you should be 100% satisfied with their appearance...although I guess Blizzard has paid race changes now, so that's one way around it.
#13 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
@Gap said:
"Don't bother getting into WoW. Save yourself a couple hundred hours, your dignity, your social status, your health, your relationships of your life and just read what you're (not) missing on WoWWiki.  You can thank me later. "

You can probably bump that hour estimate up by an order of magnitude and not be guilty of any hyperbole.    

I wonder if there is any other game that has even half as many members as who frequent its forum only to talk trash about it as WoW does?  
#14 Posted by Jazz (2293 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" You should get Burning Crusade too because it adds two additional races, the Blood Elves and the Draenei.  If you want to play a "pretty" Horde character, your only choice is the Blood Elves.  "
Are you calling my female troll ugly?
#15 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" @onimonkii:  Yeah, but then you just do what a lot us used to do...hoof it to somewhere cooler.  You die a lot but it's not impossible.  I walked a gnome from Ironforge to the Draenei start once.  That was because I took the Dreanei I created there and walked her to Stormwind/Goldshire.   The other option is to get a mage portal to one of the new areas.  All I am saying is that if you are going to play a character for potentially 85 levels you should be 100% satisfied with their appearance...although I guess Blizzard has paid race changes now, so that's one way around it. "
These posts are just terrible. Clearly this person is interested in WoW, if someone is contemplating heroin at least be polite and tell them to use clean needles.
#16 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Tyashki said:
" Base WoW: Levels 1-60, including all the old world changes.  Burning Crusade:  Level 61-70.Blood Elves, Draenei, Outlands. Jewelcrafting Profession.  Wrath of the Lich King: Level 71-80. Death Knight hero class, Inscription profession.  Cataclysm: Level 81-85. Goblins, Worgen. New 81-85 zones.Archaeology secondary profession. "
This is a very minor point, but 1-300 Inscription is available to all players, not just those with Wrath of the Lich King installed.
#17 Posted by onimonkii (2449 posts) -
@hexx462 said:
" if someone is contemplating heroin at least be polite and tell them to use clean needles. "
i'm not sure what that analogy means in relation to playing wow
#18 Posted by m1k3 (1333 posts) -

no wonder i didn't really know what inscription was since i only have up to BC.

#19 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@onimonkii said:
" @hexx462 said:
" if someone is contemplating heroin at least be polite and tell them to use clean needles. "
i'm not sure what that analogy means in relation to playing wow "
The OP was asking for information on WoW, so instead of shitting all over their question by saying "don't it, it's addictive!" it's better to help them out. Ugh, jokes die when you have to explain them.
#20 Posted by onimonkii (2449 posts) -
@hexx462 said:
" @onimonkii said:
" @hexx462 said:
i'm not sure what that analogy means in relation to playing wow "
The OP was asking for information on WoW, so instead of shitting all over their question by saying "don't it, it's addictive!" it's better to help them out. Ugh, jokes die when you have to explain them. "
i think maybe you quoted the wrong person then if that's what you meant :3 he was saying to buy wow AND tbc
#21 Posted by Veektarius (4932 posts) -

As someone who just hit 60, it's actually really hard to do go to the BC quests from the new, fun, streamlined quests in old world now.  They're antiquated, monotonous, and inefficient.  Thankfully it's only ten levels.

#22 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@onimonkii: Clearly I need to work on my aim, and pay the hell attention :D
#23 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -
@xXwindoverXx: Where on the site is it $5?
#24 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
" @xXwindoverXx: Where on the site is it $5? "

It was only $5 previously.  That deal is over now. 
#25 Posted by Tyashki (213 posts) -
@gakon5 said: 
This is a very minor point, but 1-300 Inscription is available to all players, not just those with Wrath of the Lich King installed. "
Ah, my mistake. Thanks.
#26 Posted by PenguinDust (12568 posts) -
@Jazz said:
" @PenguinDust said:
Are you calling my female troll ugly? "
That was no troll, that was my wife...oh, wait that didn't come out right.
#27 Posted by xXwindoverXx (290 posts) -
@YoungFrey said:
" @christ0phe said:
" @xXwindoverXx: Where on the site is it $5? "
It was only $5 previously.  That deal is over now.  "
This
#28 Posted by Three0neFive (2297 posts) -
@Gap said:
" Don't bother getting into WoW. Save yourself a couple hundred hours, your dignity, your social status, your health, your relationships of your life and just read what you're (not) missing on WoWWiki.  You can thank me later. "
your cool
#29 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Gap said:
" Don't bother getting into WoW. Save yourself a couple hundred hours, your dignity, your social status, your health, your relationships of your life and just read what you're (not) missing on WoWWiki.  You can thank me later. "
'Cause it's so addictive maaaan. 

WoW is what you make it. I enjoy the game and still have a social life. Fed up of all this "it will ruin your life" hyperbole. 

It can do, if you let it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.