Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

I'm going to play WoW again, but this time, I'm doing it my way

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I played a good deal of World of Warcraft.

I began playing after purchasing the burning crusade at midnight on release day. I leveled a blood elf paladin, and I had a fantastic time. When I hit lvl 70 I joined a great guild and experienced my most memorable moments of my time with the game. Karazhan (fuck. yeah.), Gruul's Lair, and a little bit of serpent shrine.

Then it happened. The arms race.

Everyone got so caught up with gear, that the game was no fun anymore. Daily quests, among other things were new trends I was not fond of. I stopped playing until Wrath came out, then I picked it up again, lvled to 80, and found everyone doing the same thing again.

This time, I'm going to play my way.

Step 1: New character, New realm
     I'm playing a fun class (LOL @ PALLYS), maybe a warlock or a shaman. And I'll definitely be playing on a PVE, since PVP is just too hardcore for my "carebear noob ass" as one guy called me one time.

Step 2: Engineering
    I've always wanted to be an engineer (in game that is). They make all the coolest shit. But what? They don't make any money? I don't care. 

Step 3: Cooking and Fishing
    These two skills I never lvled up, and now I'm going to relax and catch some fish, maybe even do that tournament thing that I could never do, forgot what it's called.

step 4: New guild
    Looking for a guild that isn't full of raiders, I'm interested in a lot of well tuned but not heroic ish 5 and 10 man instances, all the way from 1 to 80. Maybe I'll go play the content I never did when I was lvling, before, you know, it's gone when the world blows up in cataclysm.

step 5: Have fun
    Seems simple enough, maybe I'll enjoy myself more this time. 

That's my rant. If anyone is apart of a guild like I mentioned please PM me sometime, I'll be starting in a week or so.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dipstick

F yeah man! Don't let WOW tell you what to do! LOL@PALLY made me sad as I....play a ret pally :( 

I'd love to play with ya when you get your guild started up,although I'll probably be trying all new specs and skills :)

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Coombs
    @DriveupLife: 
    lol,  Good luck.
    I have been wanting to do the exact same thing, But I know that all the crap you hated is what I'll end up getting back to as soon as I hit endgame again, And then I'd just quit playing again.

@Dipstick: 
    lol @ ret pally
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Crixaliz
    @DriveupLife said:
    " Then it happened. The arms race.  "
    Lol I quit after that too! I sometimes want to go back then I remember all those times of guild drama and ninja looting.
    I was also a pally (prot thou)
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Coombs
    @Crixaliz: lol
    I mainly played a holy pally
    between the three of us we almost have a party.... Anyone know 2 dps?
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Nasos100
    @DriveupLife: thats the best way to play in my opinion. do what you wanna do in the game and have fun. what realm are you playing in by the way?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @DriveupLife: Sorry about that "carebear noob ass" comment. I can go overboard sometimes.

Just to be clear it wasn't actually me, although it would be pretty funny if it were.
    DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DriveupLife
    @Nasos100: 
    I've been playing on illidan server since I began way back when, but I'll be looking for a new server when I start.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9  Edited By Symphony

Have fun with your second go at it :) 

Though the lol@pally makes me a sad panda. Prot Pally was by far my favorite class to play, and the only one I found that could rush headlong into Stormwind, kill the auctioneers, take out a few flagged players, and get away with it by bubbling and running into the Stockades.  Ahh, such fun. Oh and tanking was always a blast, too; pulling enough mobs for the healer to have a near heart attack, hehehe... 

towly177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By towly177

WoW used to be fun imo, i think Cataclysm is going to ruin it

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ninjakiller

I haven't played since a month after Wrath came out, but what I hear getting gear is a joke now.  I ended with a 72 warlock, 71 mage, 70 pally, and a 69 DK.  I was that unimpressed with the new content that I leveled a DK instead of leveling one of other toons.  

Stop the pally bashing, I had gear for all 3 specs, and was a skilled player @ all three.  As ret if I wasn't top dps then I was always 2nd. 

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By eldiax
    @DriveupLife: If I ever get to back to WOW again I'm going to go in with your style. Some of my most fond memories of playing were before BC. Ahhhh Ragnaros, how many times have I wiped on thee.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust
    @DriveupLife said:
    " I played a good deal of World of Warcraft.  I began playing after purchasing the burning crusade at midnight on release day. I leveled a blood elf paladin, and I had a fantastic time. When I hit lvl 70 I joined a great guild and experienced my most memorable moments of my time with the game. Karazhan (fuck. yeah.), Gruul's Lair, and a little bit of serpent shrine.  Then it happened. The arms race.   Everyone got so caught up with gear, that the game was no fun anymore. Daily quests, among other things were new trends I was not fond of. I stopped playing until Wrath came out, then I picked it up again, lvled to 80, and found everyone doing the same thing again..."
    This was almost exactly my story.  Although first I leveled a human mage, got sick of being out DPS'd by lesser warlocks and so I switched to a Blood Elf (Holy) Paladin.  That was a lot more fun, but eventually everything became a chore and I did not relish the idea of grinding up rep and gear again.  So, I quit and have been very very happy with my decision.  Still, when I saw the new Cataclysm videos last year, I did waver a bit in my resolve.  I'm not sure if I will go back and check it out when the next expansion drops.  Honestly, by then I had hoped to be knee-deep in Star Wars, but since that won't be out until 2011, I might return to the Badlands again for a few months until I get so sick of it all again.  Of course, I've heard they've made lots of changes since I left (dual specs!), and that has me interested, too.  I don't know, it's so far in the future that I can't predict what I'll be doing by then. 
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By LackLuster
    @DriveupLife:  Good plan If i end up on the same server in the future that guild sounds excellent
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Famov

I played up until level 60 and I noticed the same tendency (before BC, naturally). How did I respond to it? I created a new character and hardly touched my old one ever again. My guy's still in Blue Dragonscare armor and like, the Horns of Eranikus helmet. That's hardcore. 

Oh, and I had a Twig of the World Tree mace! It sucked, but it looked awesome.
    JadeTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JadeTempest

I agree with what you said about end game in wow. I too have intentions sometimes to do what you are about to and start fresh. The problem i think is it all sounds good in theory, having fun your own way, but the game of wow is designed to push players towards its "end game". Unless one is willing to not participate in it entirely, everyone eventually end up grinding daily quests and raiding for emblems. I had one of my best gaming experiences playing wow as a newbie, but after 2 lvl 80's and countless alts, all the magic of wow introduced to me was gone and all that it is left is my addiction to the game. I quit almost six months ago, i have urges to go back every once a while, but I know its only because i remembered the fun i had with the game, and had forgotten how much i disliked the endgame. 

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alphiehyr

This would be better if it was in a blog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.